main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why does there seem to be a near-consensus that AOTC is worse than TPM?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JediVision, Dec 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    This is so true - but I would say some of the work was successful, other bits fell flat. I too was deeply underwhelmed by the lack of imagination of the ST. Especially given that effects have improved since 2005. I was longing to see a 2019 version of Coruscant. The PT as a whole is a mixture of the sublime and the ridiculous though - sometimes in the same shot.

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Or maybe ask Padme if she doesn't like scoundrels? o_O

Speak for yourself. Personally, I thought it was pretty much ALL sublime! ^:)^

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  3. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Yeah, it's dire. Hayden isn't a bad actor, but he just had terrible material to work with and an ineffective director (Sorry George, you're a better ideas man)

The exchanges between Hayden and Natalie are toe-curling. The fireplace one is probably the most hilarious, then "sand", but in position number three of all time bad scenes is the one in Padme's apartment. The exchange when Anakin ends with his tantrum "It's not fair!" loool

The best scene though is this, because it sounds like Cliegg Lars is going to tell a spoof story, like on "The Naked Gun" or something....

"It was just before dawn, they .... came out of nowhere. I was wearing an adult size babygro, and I was just on my way to Victor Ludwig's office..."

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Doompup and Jo Lucas like this.
  4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I never minded the "I hate sand" line(s). I was always horribly bothered by the "I truly, deeply love you" line. I always expected Savage Garden to start playing, or something. *shudder*

Bob Effette and Doompup like this.
  5. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I actually really like AOTC, but will also put it below TPM.
    • I'm not a fan of Obi Wan's hair/beard situation... I don't know... it just seems off, to me, and its distracting.
    • Anakin and Obi Wan are a bit too adversarial. I get why, but it seems like its a bit overstated. Also... what is going on with the power couplings during the chase? This has never been clear to me.
    • The whole Sifo-Dyas thing drives me crazy in retrospect because there was no resolution in ROTS. We had to wait for season six of clone wars for any additional information. I understand, from a production perspective, but that doesn't help the movie upon re-watch.
    • Another retrospect irk: I wish Grievous had a cameo in AOTC, perhaps still mostly organic, and/or a connection to Sifo-Dyas.
    • Anakin/Padme have several scenes that make me want to climb the walls after scratching my face off ("I wish I could wish my feelings away"), but they also have several scenes which I adore (traveling as refugees, discussing Padme's ex). Overall, I like GL's approach to dialog, but there are a few scenes between Padme and Anakin to which it is just hard to listen.
    • I can't watch Boba pick up Jango's helmet and not wonder about the head.
    None of these issues prevent me from loving AOTC for its strengths and admiring overall story of the prequel trilogy.

Doompup likes this.
  6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    You can see the shadow of the head falling out of the helmet before it hits the ground. Not really anything to wonder about.

7. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    It's not voluntary. LOL. Its more like "OMG, how horrifying that must be for Boba" than it is "where's the head?"

It's not a big thing, but my brain reacts to the scene the same way every time.

8. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    In that case doesn’t sound like much of an “issue” if you’re focusing on what it means to young Boba. Seems the intent of the scene is working how it should for you.

Tonyg likes this.
  9. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    Perhaps, but "does the Boba with Jango's head scene work as intended for me?" is not the question to which I responded.

I rate AOTC below TPM and - for me - this is a contributing factor. I small contributing factor, but a factor nevertheless.

I accept that it is not an issue for you and I'm not trying to convince you that you should consider it an issue too. Rock on.

10. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Just trying to understand why you consider it an issue that brings the film down. I still don’t, but that’s okay.

11. eko32eko7

Jan 10, 2018
    I admit its a small irk and does not negatively impact the story or the characters, but - if it were up to me - I would not have included it or I would have done it differently. It just feels awkward and trips up the flow of the movie for me.

12. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Also, Jar Jar's screen time was heavily reduced from TPM. Coincidence?

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Not entirely, but Ahmed Best has said it was always his understanding that Jar Jar would play a reduced role as the trilogy progressed and there was less room for humor.

Princess_Tina and Tonyg like this.
  14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    AOTC gave us some of the action we had been wanting from this franchise. Seeing the Jedi entering the arena and finally doing a last stand as a circle is what dreams are made of. I remember thinking “this is how their numbers get whittled down to just Luke.”

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Technically, the Jedi who died in the arena were just a drop in the bucket compared to their total numbers, but it did serve as a sort of microcosmic preview of what was yet to occur thanks to the Clone Wars, Order 66, and subsequent purge.

Deliveranze and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. It started the true beginning of the end.

17. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Otherwise known as the “I’d like to see you do any better!” fallacy.

Is the poster you are quoting professing to be either a writer or filmmaker?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I was responding to the claim that he's a terrible writer. Pointing out that he's a better writer than the average person is a perfectly valid thing to bring up in that context.

I would also like to point out, for the record, that George Lucas wrote (with only a minor dialogue polish) one of your favorite movies. So he can't be that terrible even judging by professional writing standards.

Sith Lord 2015 and Princess_Tina like this.
  19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well in all fairness he only came up with 2 of the most popular movie series of all time... and turned one of them into the biggest film-based franchise in human history, when you count all ancillary, merchandising, video and streaming rights.

If George Lucas walked on water, his critics would say that only proves he can't swim!! [face_rofl]

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Well, you see, Lucas alone among filmmakers deserves minimal credit for his many accomplishments, because he had collaborators.

21. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Mate, you lose as soon as you have to ask a person who obviously isn’t a writer, nor a filmmaker, nor professes to be either, how many hit films they have written, as a way to stymie their criticism.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yes... They heavy-hitting Lucas collaborators... Who went on to bigger and better... Oh, wait, they didn't! :rolleyes:

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Just expressing my opinion, mate. Just let people think what they want to think. Don't claim they're losing just because they disagree with you. Don't know what else to say.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  24. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    An opinion?

“How many hit films have you written or co-written?”

Lol, you’re funny bro.

[​IMG]

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Yes, it's just my opinion. It's not nice to attack people just for having an opinion. I don't understand what you find so funny about that. This is a place for civil discussions, not trolling.

Sith Lord 2015 and Princess_Tina like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.