main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sweet, thanks!

Lord Vivec likes this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Why learn real science when you can learn all about the galactic photon belt?

(It came up while doing 'research' for a Call of Cthulhu adventure I want to do for Halloween. Like Kenneth Hite says, bad science and bad history make for good roleplaying adventures)

Also, since I have a physics degree, moribund as it is, I am glad that sites like this exist.

VadersLaMent and Darth Smurf like this.
  3. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Strange life forms found deep in a mine point to vast 'underground Galapagos'
    The rock-eating, sulfur-breathing microbes have scientists wondering what other strange creatures dwell deep below Earth's surface.

Something odd is stirring in the depths of Canada's Kidd Mine. The zinc and copper mine, 350 miles northwest of Toronto, is the deepest spot ever explored on land and the reservoir of the oldest known water. And yet 7,900 feet below the surface, in perpetual darkness and in waters that have remained undisturbed for up to two billion years, the mine is teeming with life.

Many scientists had doubted that anything could live under such extreme conditions. But in July, a team led by University of Toronto geologist Barbara Sherwood Lollar reported that the mine’s dark, deep water harbors a population of remarkable microbes.

The single-celled organisms don’t need oxygen because they breathe sulfur compounds. Nor do they need sunlight. Instead, they live off chemicals in the surrounding rock — in particular, the glittery mineral pyrite, commonly known as fool’s gold.

“It's a fascinating system where the organisms are literally eating fool's gold to survive,” Sherwood Lollar said. “What we are finding is so exciting — like ‘being a kid again’ level exciting.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/scienc...-point-vast-underground-galapagos-ncna1050906

[​IMG]

Darth Smurf and Iron_lord like this.
  6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Looking at the cat

"We normally think the price we pay for looking is nothing," said study lead author Holger F. Hofmann, associate professor of physics at Hiroshima University in Japan. "That's not correct. In order to look, you have to have light, and light changes the object." That's because even a single photon of light transfers energy away from or to the object you're viewing.

“What is interesting is that the readout process selects one of the two types of information and completely erases the other,” said Hofmann.

Here's how they described their work in terms of Schrödinger's cat. Say the cat is still in the box, but rather than looking inside to determine whether the cat is alive or dead, you set up a camera outside the box that can somehow take a picture inside of it (for the sake of the thought experiment, ignore the fact that physical cameras don't actually work like that). Once the picture is taken, the camera has two kinds of information: how the cat changed as a result of the picture being taken (what the researchers call a quantum tag) and whether the cat is alive or dead after the interaction. None of that information has been lost yet. And depending on how you choose to "develop" the image, you retrieve one or the other piece of information.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    JCC Trivia...the first "Go science " thread was about cancer

Scientists in Australia revealed that they may have discovered a way to eliminate all cancer cell types. The discovery they have found could also make the tumors smaller.

The scientists used a principle based on a medical breakthrough which is more than 200 years old. Edward Jenner, a scientist, found a way in 1796 to defeat smallpox by using cowpox virus. Today, Imugene scientists have created a new virus that they say can terminate cancer cells on a Petri dish. They also used the cowpox virus as the basis for creating the new virus.

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Liquid sunlight

Well, a fluid that can store power from the Sun.

"A solar thermal fuel is like a rechargeable battery, but instead of electricity, you put sunlight in and get heat out, triggered on demand," Jeffrey Grossman, an engineer works with these materials at MIT explained to NBC News.

The fluid is actually a molecule in liquid form that scientists from Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden have been working on improving for over a year.

This molecule is composed of carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen, and when it is hit by sunlight, it does something unusual: the bonds between its atoms are rearranged and it turns into an energised new version of itself, called an isomer.

Like prey caught in a trap, energy from the sun is thus captured between the isomer's strong chemical bonds, and it stays there even when the molecule cools down to room temperature.

When the energy is needed - say at nighttime, or during winter - the fluid is simply drawn through a catalyst that returns the molecule to its original form, releasing energy in the form of heat.

ZanderSolo likes this.
  12. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Man i wish i saw this thread got upped as much as US politics. Its a real nice counterbalance to it.

Also cool molecule.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    CernStormrunner likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Luke02 likes this.
  14. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Luke02 and Ghost like this.
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    A.I. is outpacing Moore's Law

Moore’s Law maps out how processor speeds double every 18 months to two years, which means application developers can expect a doubling in application performance for the same hardware cost.

But the Stanford report, produced in partnership with McKinsey & Company, Google, PwC, OpenAI, Genpact and AI21Labs, found that AI computational power is accelerating faster than traditional processor development. “Prior to 2012, AI results closely tracked Moore’s Law, with compute doubling every two years.,” the report said. “Post-2012, compute has been doubling every 3.4 months.

Darth Downunder and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I read an article recently about a negative side affect of the bi-yearly doubling of processing power, was that coding standards have dropped. Something, something about back in the day code used to be leaner, and much more elegant, and nowadays they can get away with lazier lines of code because current day processor speeds hide a multitude of sins.

17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I like Tenacity as a name.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  19. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Would be my 2nd choice. I like Fortitude.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I like Promise and Perserverance.

21. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Missing baby yoda.

I went with promise.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Brain Cloud interface

The Internet comprises a decentralized global system that serves humanity’s collective effort to generate, process, and store data, most of which is handled by the rapidly expanding cloud. A stable, secure, real-time system may allow for interfacing the cloud with the human brain. One promising strategy for enabling such a system, denoted here as a “human brain/cloud interface” (“B/CI”), would be based on technologies referred to here as “neuralnanorobotics.” Future neuralnanorobotics technologies are anticipated to facilitate accurate diagnoses and eventual cures for the ∼400 conditions that affect the human brain. Neuralnanorobotics may also enable a B/CI with controlled connectivity between neural activity and external data storage and processing, via the direct monitoring of the brain’s ∼86 × 109 neurons and ∼2 × 1014 synapses. Subsequent to navigating the human vasculature, three species of neuralnanorobots (endoneurobots, gliabots, and synaptobots) could traverse the blood–brain barrier (BBB), enter the brain parenchyma, ingress into individual human brain cells, and autoposition themselves at the axon initial segments of neurons (endoneurobots), within glial cells (gliabots), and in intimate proximity to synapses (synaptobots). They would then wirelessly transmit up to ∼6 × 1016 bits per second of synaptically processed and encoded human–brain electrical information via auxiliary nanorobotic fiber optics (30 cm3) with the capacity to handle up to 1018 bits/sec and provide rapid data transfer to a cloud based supercomputer for real-time brain-state monitoring and data extraction. A neuralnanorobotically enabled human B/CI might serve as a personalized conduit, allowing persons to obtain direct, instantaneous access to virtually any facet of cumulative human knowledge.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This is really interesting, and seems both plausible and verifiable:

VadersLaMent and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003