main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread **UNTAGGED SPOILERS WITHIN**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 16, 2019.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    There are a lot of things I liked and disliked in the movies and EU. And don’t get me started about a certain bodysnatcher! ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This is a great mentality. I mean, people absolutely have the right to complain and be bitter about these films especially if they disagree with the creative choices made, but people can also do their own thing or collaborate and support each other's ideas if they don't like the choices made in the films.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Some things I liked:

Everything. This movie is full of win.

Okay, some more specific likes:

Rey getting pissed at Poe for lightspeed skipping the Falcon AND SETTING IT ON FIRE HOW DARE YOU POE DAMERON IF YOU THINK I'M EVER LETTING YOU DRIVE AGAIN.... Like, I admit that was cool, and it totally worked, but he still totally deserved to get reamed for pulling that stunt.

D-O the rescue droid. "No thank you."

Chewie legit falling to his knees and breaking down in tears when Leia died.

Hux being the spy just to be petty. "I don't care if you win. I just want Kylo Ren to lose."

Jannah. She and her friends are ex-stormtroopers who made their break after being inspired by Finn. Headcanon confirmed.

Finn repeatedly saying "It's a feeling." Sounds to me like a subtle (or maybe not so subtle?) hint that he might be Force sensitive.

Lando. Because Lando.

Wedge Antilles. He was the guy in the final battle who was like, "Hey Lando", or something like that.

"That's not a navy. It's just...people."

"I am all the Sith." "And I am all the Jedi." Definite Avengers Endgame vibes right there, and I do not have a problem with that.

Emporer Poopypants finally gets his once and for all.

Reylo is officially a thing, however briefly.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Something has been nagging at after seeing the movie twice. My @};-LOVE@};- of Ben's redemption. I think I said this above, but JJ and Adam made me a believer in Ben Solo in the five or so minutes we were blessed to have him. I spent 2.89 films despising he childish antics of Kylo Ren, thinking his redemption impossible after TROS trailers showed us more of the same. From the moment Leia stops him from finishing Rey to the memory of Han to the kiss and his fading to the Force, Adam Driver changed and so did my mind. The scar was gone, which I never noticed the first time, but you could see the difference all over Ben's face. Supreme Kudos Adam Driver. I know that Ben had to die. Too much blood on his hands. Like Vader. But, I wanted him to live! :_|:_|:_|

The fact that this is element of the film is affecting me so strongly is just as much a surprise to me as it must be to you. LOL ;) But, affect me, it has. I've been reading some Rey grieving fics, because I'm yet all in enough (Reylo lives! [face_love]) to read fix it fics. I'm also not sure how much there is for me to mine as a writer. Prompts welcome. [face_praying]

Anywho. Now that that is off my chest, I can go on to something else. Like a third viewing of the film. :p

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    divapilot likes this.
  5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    "Nice flying, Lando"

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    How do we know Ben is dead? Maybe he teleported himself somewhere in the end and that is why we don't see his Force ghost on Tatooine. You gotta admit, JJ took that "Nobody is really gone" quote and ran with it.

I want to know more about those creepy chanting hooded figures that were with Palpatine. Why were they there? Are they always there or did Palpatine foresee Rey and Kylo's arrival and called is followers?

Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    With all the Jedi, since the OT, their body disappears: Obi-Wan in ANH, Yoda in ROTJ, Luke in TLJ and Leia and Ben in TROS. If anything, this has been remarkably consistent.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    And were those star destroyers hidden under water or ice? I was a little confused as to where that was happening. We're Star Destroyers coming out of hiding all over the galaxy?

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    They were all in Exegol. Palpatine was giving them the icy treatment.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I was surprised by how many star destroyers there were. over kill to be certain. One can out of the ice and thes rest just appeared in the sky. Inside the atmosphere, apparently. It was weird, but still pretty cool.

Lady_Misty and DurararaFTW like this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Okay...that is weird. One would think that if it was so difficult to find Exegol there would be no need to hide the ships. I guess it makes for a good visual.

I liked this video:

At the end when Rey buries Leia and Luke/Anakin's lightsabers I was expecting Force Ghost Anakin to show up and screaming, "Sand! Don't bury my lightsaber in sand. It's gets everywhere!"

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  12. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    @Jedi_Lover there's actually a comic that a fan did where Anakin's Force Ghost freaks out over Rey burying his lightsaber and him trying to dig it out. Swearing up a storm and Luke's Force Ghost gently chewing Rey out for making Anakin cry.

I'd share it but it has f bombs and that word isn't allowed here.

I don't have a favorite Star Wars Film; I have a LEAST favorite Star Wars Film. Right now it's tied between AotC, I go back and forth about how I feel about certain dialogue choices, and TRoS, I disagree with some of the choices made with the film and I don't like the ambiguity of the ending.

Out of the three final movies in each trilogy TRoS ended with more questions than answers and I personally wasn't left with a feeling that everything was going to be fine. R2 and 3PO, two characters that have been part of the series since the beginning, chronological and release wise, have lost everything and we don't know what's going to happen to them, we don't know what's going to happen to the Falcon, is Lando going to take it back? Is Chewie going to use it? Is Rey going to use it? What's Chewie going to do now that most of his friends are dead? Is he going to go back home? Is he going to fly the Falcon? Is he going to help Rey? Was Rey only on Tatooine to bury Anakin and Leia's lightsabers? Is she going to be staying on there for a little bit to heal and decide what she's going to do next?

While RotS didn't have a 'happy' ending if the movies were released in order than we would at least see that the Skywalker Twins were delivered safely to people that would love and care about them and know that there's hope for the future and that there's move movies coming.

RotJ had a truly satisfying ending. Yes, Luke lost his father but everyone is happy and celebrating and even though he's sad Luke can still smile because they did win and the Force Ghosts appear and smile happily at Luke and the future is bright.

TRoS by comparison feels more like TESB. Unanswered questions and not a full sense of closure.

But that's how I feel and I know that not everyone feels the same way and that's fine We're entitled to our separate opinions and the world would be a boring place if everyone agreed on the same things; might be a very unsafe one too if people could agree to fight each other over dumb things like borders or slights.

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Can you PM me the link to it. That sounds hilarious.

The sequel trilogy's main problem is they did not have a coherent story for the trilogy. There should have been a screenwriter that wrote all three movies and then have the directors make those movies. Letting individual directors do whatever they want to do does not make sense.

TROS is my favorite film of the Disney trilogy but that is not saying much. I am hoping that future Star Wars movies go to a different era...perhaps Knights of the Old Republic.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    @Lady_Misty - you can post a link to the comic if you also post a language warning with it. Something like

link
    Warning - contains language not allowed here

would be fine.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  15. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    @Jedi_Lover

It keeps showing the comic when I paste the link! :(

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    @Lady_Misty - you can PM me the link and I'll take a look if you want.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    So...can we see said hilarious comic somehow? :D

And on that note....why does Rey have Anakin's lightsaber...like, wasn't it destroyed in half in TLJ which was this very symbolic and powerful moment....but I guess she just fixed it, because reasons? [face_dunno]A lot of weird things happened in this movie because reasons I guess.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Well, current lore strongly indicates that the only unique piece of a lightsaber is the crystal. Everything else is just cosmetic components that can be bought from commercial vendors (Ezra assembled his lightsaber from various scrap lying around). So as long as Rey kept the crystal when she escaped the Supremacy, she could have rebuilt the lightsaber along identical lines quite easily.

19. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Well....yes..but the crystal broke in half as well. *goes to do research, finds out from Visual Dictionary that Rey 'healed' the crystal or something* ..............What.

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I am picturing Rey putting her hand on the crystal and saying in her best TV evangelist voice, "By the power of the Force I heal thee!" She must have really double downed on those Jedi texts. Maybe if Luke actually read them he could have healed himself instead of dying of...being tired.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Kids these days, you can learn a complicated and rare talent like force-healing by reading a book now I guess. Forget about years of training and having a natural gift for it (which Rey NEVER had until ROS....)

[face_laugh][face_rofl] Poor Luke!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  22. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    (English teacher voice) And that, kids, is why I keep telling you to READ THE ACTUAL BOOK I ASSIGNED instead of just skimming the sparknotes.

23. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
  24. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    I sincerely feel like without tumblr and this community, recovering from TROS would be very, very hard... (only for people who have a problem with any of the film's direction, of course). ;)

Lady_Misty likes this.
  25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    True. I didn't like any of the Disney Trilogy. I think Disney was too quick to kill off and discard the original trilogy characters. I would have liked to see them all together and have a decent send off.