main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Rise of Skywalker soundtrack discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Seagoat, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't get the negativity for this score. I think it's wonderful! (except the End Titles).

2. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Agreed. The end titles is the only not-great track on the OST

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I honestly think it's the weakest End Titles of any Star Wars saga film ever.

sethg likes this.
  4. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    The problem with both TLJ and TRoS scores are the complete lack of memorable themes.

Each of the first 7 films included a memorable theme. Rey's theme in 7 is worthy of all the previous themes and is used brilliantly throughout the trilogy. However, it's strange to me Kylo Ren never got a fully fleshed out suite and the last two movies really don't introduce anything new.

Sith Lord 2015 and cwustudent like this.
  5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Didn't they use the themes for the FO and Kylo interchangeably? I don't even remember what it's called in the soundtrack. Beyond that the Imperial theme is appropriate because he wants to be like his grandpa.

6. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Yeah, the Kylo Ren/First Order fanfare is pretty good, I would have just liked more to it.

cwustudent likes this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    OK, I'll be honest and confess part of me wanted that, too.
    On the other hand, on most movies you don't introduce major new themes near the end, and my first viewing of Episode 9 was as part of the 9-movie marathon at the theaters. Because I saw the 9 movies all one after another, it just seemed to me that as a big sprawling epic it might make more sense that no major new themes were introduced in the last two episodes, when you're near the end of the narrative. The themes that get the most use towards the end are the older ones from the OT, it's a form of bringing things back to the central episodes of the saga.
    Maybe for that reason it also makes sense that Duel of the Fates wasn't used in the final confrontation, even though at some point I imagined it might be.
    Having seen Ep 9 a few times over the last two weeks, I think I kinda get why JW made the choices he did. They're not necessarily the choices that I imagined in my head canon, but I defer to the maestro.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    StartCenterEnd likes this.
  8. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Both TLJ and TROS have major new themes! They're heard prominently all throughout their respective scores. (The Rebellion is Reborn for TLJ, and The Rise of Skywalker + Anthem of Evil for TROS)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I guess it depends on your definition of "major" [face_dunno]

10. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Track 22: Farewell is some of Williams best work. Definitely now in my top 5 for the Saga.

BigAl6ft6 and Howard Hand like this.
  11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The Rise of Skywalker and the Anthem of Evil both have full concert arrangements on the soundtrack and are used many times throughout the score. If they're not major new themes, I don't know what would be. Certainly not Luke & Leia, which was used a handful of times in one film until 2017.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Just for information, the wonderful Star Wars Leitmotif Catalog lists six new motifs for Rise of Skywalker:

Sith Artifacts
    Anthem of Evil
    Knights of Ren
    Heroics
    Rise of Skywalker (Friendship)
    Rise of Skywalker (Victory)

In the film or on the soundtrack, I've spotted Anthem of Evil, Knights of Ren, Heroics and the two Rise of Skywalker motifs.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the final track before the End titles is a new theme, right? That stands out the most to me in TROS aside from as mentioned Palpatine's Emperor theme getting a bombastic action style revamp for the opening action scene.

Larsonator and Fifi Kenobi like this.
  14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    A New Home isn't a new theme, per se, as it doesn't recur anywhere else. But it is a new melody in that one track and I for one LOVE it. One of the highlights of the TROS score for sure. Other things that stand out to me:

• Any time he uses Leia's theme
    • Any time he uses Luke & Leia
    • The piano rendition of Rey's theme in "The Force Is With You"
    • The gentle rendition of the Emperor's theme when Rey is talking about herself (not on the soundtrack)
    • Any time he uses the new Evil theme (Anthem of Evil)
    • The Rise of Skywalker concert arrangement
    • The scary rendition of the Emperor's theme in the Prologue track

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    cratylus, BigAl6ft6 and Howard Hand like this.
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    A New home is the beginning of Palpy's theme tied with the ending of Vader's motif from the Imperial march.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Awushi Awere and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    the low strings when Rey visits Palpatine reminded me of Jaws.

Howard Hand likes this.
  17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Another highlight for me are the bold uses of the Knights of Ren theme. (Most I think are not on the soundtrack)

Larsonator, DarthHass and Howard Hand like this.
  18. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I just watched the movie for the second time at my local theater and loved it just as much as the first time. One thing that really stood out to me this time, was the softer version of Kylo's theme that plays when Ben sees Rey is dead. It's a really nice musical twist turning a sinister theme into a tragic one.

Larsonator and Dagobahsystem like this.
  19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes I love the heroic and poignant versions of Kylo Ren's theme.

20. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Yes, that was my favorite musical detail after only one viewing.

It's very Wagnerian like all of JW's SW scores.

cratylus likes this.
  21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I find very interesting the use of a PT motif... from when Cliegg Lars is telling Anakin what happened to Shmi, that music is used again when Poe is talking with Zorii and she tells him he's not alone, they want you to think that because that's how they win. Very interesting choice. I guess the motif is hopelessness?

cratylus likes this.
  22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    That motif is actually a slowed variant of the Kamino theme as well, so perhaps it could be some vague link to the fact that Palps is a clone?

One other PT motif I noticed was the opening of Talk of Podracing, which was previously used in a slowed variant as Finn's Confession in TFA and was similarly used to underscore a moment with Finn here in TROS (though my memory is failing me for which scene exactly).

Larsonator and Dagobahsystem like this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I will go a step further and say I love this Soundtrack including the end credits! Have you guys heard the ST on LP record and CD especially on LP record it sounds beautiful! I have TFA and TLJ on LP record and it sounds beautiful! I cant wait to get LP record version of TROS I have it on CD I will get the LP soon! CD sounds way better then Spotify or YouTube or any digital or streaming because the bit rate the music on CD and LP is more crisp and you can hear all the instruments it just Pops!

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It pops alright. Like Rice Krispies... Snap Crackle Pop!

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  25. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Happy birthday to JW! The TRoS score has been a grower for me rather than an instant favourite. Whereas listening to previous SW scores usually conjures up the emotions of the film for me, I have ended up enjoying this very much in isolation from (or in spite of) the on-screen events it underscored.

The titular theme is wonderful, and the rendition in "We Go Together" is particularly rousing. "Farewell" is one of the most beautiful cues in the saga. I love the Ben Solo motif we got in this film (though it makes me sad). "Join Me" is so delightfully creepy and tense. How lucky we are to have got another incredibly rich and emotive SW score from the Maestro.

Darth Buzz and Howard Hand like this.