main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wish they had instead just cut the Lando and Jannah scene at the end then, it feels like half a plot, like there should have been setup for that scene (Lando musing about his kidnapped daughter) but the movie didn't bother with that. Sounds like not even the Jannah actress knows for sure? A lot of the film feels incomplete in some ways (Finn's interrupted "dying" confession to Rey, Palpatine's broadcast being in Fortnite of all things, etc.).

And I thought Rey said Poe shouldn't have tried lightspeed skipping without the compressor? That it was the missing part rather than her absence that made it so dangerous. I think that line stood out in my mind as the compressor was the same part she took out to fix the Falcon in TFA. Or was it bypassed the compressor? Something like that? I'll wait for the movie to pop up on streaming to check.

Did TRoS call Rey one of the Resistance's best fighters? Though not sure if that was from either Poe or Finn, but I thought that implied she had become a big part of the Resistance. Rise of the Resistance is a ride so probably shouldn't take that as too canon but Rey's appearance there makes her look like high up in the Resistance already. Either that or they're ripping off how Luke was viewed in the Rebel Alliance, but the OT had several more years to unfold (from ANH to RotJ) compared to the sequels' much faster pace (from beginning of TFA to end of TRoS is something like... less than two years? A year?).

I'm not sure about that last part, the movie went through so much so fast a lot of it is a blur.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It is a little odd that in TFA Unkar put the compressor on the Falcon which implies that it broke it, but then something in TROS makes it seem that doing lightspeed skipping without the compressor is what made it so dangerous. I got the feeling Rey could do it because she's all Force-y, though, which is why she's so miffed. But she is also miffed about the compressor / lightspeed skipping too.

hah I saw The Dead Speak! broadcast on wookieepedia that I think it's credited as happening in Resistance Reborn novel or something but I totally didn't know it was on Fortinie. With I'm 90% certain Ian McDirmid!

Guy jumping up and down in the background like 30 feet, canon! Hell Rey and Kylo were doing it too.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's McDiarmid. Now, why put a hugely significant short bit like this in Fortnite is a very good question. For another time.

4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Probably because JJ cut it from the movie to cut time, but still thought it was awesome enough he wanted it canon and to be used somewhere and heard by people, so they made it something exclusive to Fortnite players.

I have to say, I loathe the Fortnite x Star Wars event still because of the drama it caused in my house. My eldest son tried logging on, the servers were messed up down to the minute it was supposed to start and when he finally logged on as he was trying to get to the event stage people were killing him and he respawned some distance from the stage and that cycle kept happening over and over again. He's often quite volatile when he's excited about something and that just ended up in a total meltdown.

So.... thanks for that Fortnite and LFL.

IG: @jedisufism

Nobody145, BigAl6ft6, mnjedi and 3 others like this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That sounds like utter idiocy.

If they want to run an event like that, Fortnite has to run it, not just slap a bunch of updates and sit back.

If you have idiots spoiling an event for others (which you always do), you need to do something about it.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is what happens when your player base is 40m and then you add SW.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    1st viewing 12/19/2019
    2nd viewing 01/19/2020

On my second viewing, the thing that stood out the most was the repeated line about the mission failing.
    (1) Leia says "This mission is everything. We cannot fail."
    (2) Poe, then (3) Rey and then finally (4) C3P0 all say, "If this mission fails, it’s all been for nothing. All we’ve done, all this time."

It's repeated 4 times up until the "big" moment - C3P0's brain wipe and Sith translation - on Kijimi. We're constantly reminded that the mission is the most important thing - the plot is the most important thing.

Unfortunately, the mission isn't 100% clear at this point.

What we're told is that Palpatine is back and he has a giant fleet thanks to the mole in the First Order. So they trust the mole completely and believe it's not a trap ever? Yep. Got it. Sure.
    So what's the plan? What's the mission? Rey needs to get to Exegol to face the Emperor and the only clue they have to finding and getting to Exegol is a mission that Luke started with Lando years ago but never finished. So they're essentially putting all their faith in winning the war and beating Palpatine by sending Rey/Poe/Finn/Chewie/BB8/C3P0 to Pasana to HOPEFULLY succeed where Luke and Lando failed. So far, this mission does NOT sound promising.

So how do they succeed in their mission? They don't. They constantly fail which is why the need to keep repeating the line above. We can't fail! Remember? It's in the script. We just can't.

Well, Kylo finds them on Pasana and he is on his way with his (useless) Knights. The FO patrol that happens to be on Pasana finds our heroes in the meantime while we wait for Kylo. Again, the heroes fail a speeder chase, but this time they fail upward by finding the exact spot where they need to sink into the ground to find the item they need to move the plot forward - the dagger.

Then the mission takes another set back when they think they lose Chewie when Rey accidentally kills him. So at this point, what is the "all we've done"?
    They found a dagger which they don't need now (or they don't think they do, but they will) because they have C3P0's memory. So as it pertains to the mission, they only thing they've acquired is information that they can't access. It's like a bad Mission Impossible movie. We've acquired the laptop. Anyone know how to crack the password? So in the grand scheme of the movie, they haven't really done anything yet. They have a beer with no bottle opener.

So let's take a pause. Maybe the "All we've done, all this time" is meant to reference the past movies. So what have they done? They destroyed Starkiller Base which resulted in the thinning out of the Resistance to the point of extinction with no one coming to help. The FO still reigns AND on top of it all, Palpatine is back with another giant fleet. So what did they do since The Rise of Skywalker mission? They dropped a cup of coffee in the ocean.

Then the final insult to add to the injury, and we haven't even got to the final act yet, is that this SUPER IMPORTANT MISSION that CAN NOT FAIL - Rey decides, ya know what? - I quit. She burns Kylo's ship she stole from Kef Bir (good thing Kylo had two ships, one that was destroyed on Pasana and the one he had on Kef Bir) and decides that she's just going to stay on Ahch-To. She doesn't want to end up on the throne as a Sith and that's okay because Palpatine and the FO are just going to destroy whatever planets they want and that's that. Maybe she doesn't know what happened to Kijimi, but if she's super strong in the Force, she probably should have felt it, like when Obi-wan felt Alderaan.

The final kicker is that I haven't even touched on Palpatine's contradictory plan and how it makes very little sense and very little is explained. I digress.

8. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Thanks for cheering me up, I was in a bad mood. And anyway, your review makes me appreciate the movie even more (in the "so bad it's good" sense, or more precisely "so ridiculous it's awesome").

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    What's great about this message board vs Twitter is that you're allowed to like it and I'm allowed to not, and we can co-exist without insulting each other. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I wish I could too. I wanted to but it just didn't work for me.

10. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    The whole thing was a fiasco and the events usually make it so players can't shoot at all, but that didn't kick in until the event actually started.

Needless to say, emotions were running high and I couldn't bring the kid back from the brink even with pulling up a livestream on YouTube.

IG: @jedisufism

mnjedi, Jedi Ben and Sinrebirth like this.
  11. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I've said this before but I'm sort of leaning towards it's a sequel duology really with TFA and TLJ (the climax of the story is Luke V Kylo on Crait) and Rise of Skywalker is the 9-movie epilogue, having Suddenly a Palpatine randomly appear sort of does that for it.

anyway, this feels very David Lynch-ian, maybe this is what RotJ would have been if he directed it

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmmmmmmm you know, if that clip was shorter to cut the comedic affect, ending the film before Rey gives a response (sort of just looks off and doesn't answer yet) would have been a cool ending.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    there is a version of the movie that could end with "Rey who" and she just looks off to the side that could be interesting (and you would know what she is going to say anyway), but I'm of the opinion that in films you sometimes want to underline and explicitly state things for Thematic and Dramatic Reasons so yah you do need Force Ghosts and the push in on her saying "Rey Skywalker" to get it across. Her not responding with that has an effect of making it seem like she's kind of lost when she isn't at all at the end there, she has completed her journey and is now a Skywalker, I'd want to hear her say that.

I am still somewhat irked that Rian Johnson said (TLJ commentary track I believe) that Poe was supposed to respond to BB-8 with something more explicit like "I have a good feeling about this" to his beep, because people would have gotten what BB-8 had said. "Happy beeps, buddy!" sort of gets the point across but not really.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  15. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Sure, but it's also not important to know BB-8's saying a tired old line that doesn't need repeating in every one of these things. I appreciate that Rian isn't really interested in paying lip service to these pointless "traditions", so it's no loss that Poe's line wasn't on the nose. Same with the Wilhelm.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    oh yah, is the wilhem scream back in TROS? Not sure if I heard it. I remember hearing they "retired" it for Rogue One but maybe JJ snuck it back in there. I personally dig Man getting eaten by alligator noise meself.

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I like the happy beeps line. TLJ is full of great, iconic lines. "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to." "No one's ever really gone." "It's time for the Jedi to end." "That's how we're going to win - not fighting what we hate. Saving what we love." Luke's repeated "Every word in that sentence was wrong." "You come from nothing, you're nothing. But not to me."

What are some iconic TROS lines?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Something something SITH

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Bit too early to say, I guess. I like "be with me" and "I did want to take your hand; Ben's hand", and certainly lines like "I am all the Jedi" and the "Rey who?" exchange have taken on a life beyond the film, if not necessarily in the right way. A fair few funny lines too; I remember C-3PO having some good stuff.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Maybe the jedi's lines to Rey. "Rise, Rey," and all the rest.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Obviously "HEY HEY!!" is right up there. I suspect "Win the war" and "I have been every voice you have ever heard inside your head" are lines that will live on as well, by virtue of how they are delivered if for no other reason. ("Win the war," spoken with my best "Mark Hamill as Boolio" impression, is currently in heavy use as a catchphrase at my house.)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    "Let your death be the final word in the story of the Rebellion."
    "As I once fell, so falls the last Skywalker."

23. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    They fly now?
    They fly now.

BigAl6ft6 and son_of_skywalker03 like this.
  24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PCCViking likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "Be with me" I think sticks. As I've said before, Threepio is straight up fantastic in this one, most screentime he's gotten since the OT and he nails it. "I know what we should do, we should leave!" And Babu Firk "Hey heyyyy!!" is going to live on in SW fandom meme style as a response for quite awhile. Hell if the only line everyone remembers from TROS turns out to be Babu Frik going "Hey heyyyyy!!" I think we're good.

Different thread on the board was wondering about if Leia was a teacher/Jedi Knight/Master to Rey. I have a bit of a theory, first off Rey calls her Master at one point which is either an honourific or her actual Jedi Master title. Leia quit being a Jedi after like, a month of training (but had already built a lightsaber) but I would assume she wasn't a Jedi Knight yet by then. Then fast forward a few decades I think it's something like: decades of not being a Jedi but still using the Force cuz she's a Skywalker > has to become Rey's Master, instantly is a Master because the Force decides it has to happen. So she was basically in semi-no-Jedi-ness retirement and came back for the home stretch.

It could also be something of a Kanan situation where he was knighted by the Force

something similar could have happened with Leia and Force Ghost Luke. I mean, who would have declared that Luke went from Jedi Knight to Jedi Master since he was the only one? Force Ghosts! probably! maybe!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020