main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    If dumbledore can knit, so can obi-wan.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I can see Obi-Wan knitting while on Tatooine. Head-Canon accepted!

Last night I was invited to two separate accessible sporting events (wheelchair tennis with a couple new friends or some indoor disc golf with my sister) and I wanted to go to at least one of them but I ended up just staying home and ordering a pizza (to celebrate officially graduating!!!) because the roads and general weather were still kinda bad. I'll be glad when this cold snap is over. Part of me regrets not risking the roads but better safe than sorry I guess. But now that the roads are kinda better today, I've got nothing to do tonight.

Buttt, yes I officially graduated yesterday!!! I was also kinda sad I wasn't able to go to the grad ceremony... but it just wasn't worth traveling over 7000 kms for (they are sending me my degree in the mail). But I'm hoping to do some traveling later this year.

Also, my keyboard is acting up- mostly giving me two e's half the time, so it's leading to some funny typos. Lots of thee's.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    mavjade , Kahara, Kit' and 2 others like this.
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Briannakin likes this.
  4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Congratulations on officially graduating! My keyboard will not type a, q, z, or 1. I have to copy/paste and when I get to work, I keep doing the same thing and trying to paste an a. It makes for very frustrating edits on documents I’m typing for clients. On the other hand, I’ve been writing fanfic posts with words that avoid those letters.

5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Of course he would knit! I thought everybody knew that the Jedi Masters always got together after hours for a weekly Stitch-And-Bitch!

Gamiel and DarthIshtar like this.
  6. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Congratulations @Briannakin . Too bad you couldn't go to the ceremony, but 7000 km is definitely a good reason.

Briannakin likes this.
  7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Called emergency maintenance today because it was down to 62°F inside my apartment and I couldn't figure out why the heat wasn't working when the thermostat was turned all the way up.

Turns out the random unlabeled light switch on the wall near the thermostat that I could not figure out what outlet it controlled is actually the on/off switch for the heat. I had it off because I thought the switch was dead (didn't go to anything).

To make it weirder, the outlet directly under that switch, that I originally thought was controlled by that switch, is actually controlled by another light switch halfway across the room that I also thought was dead until I randomly flipped it off while talking to maintenance and caused the lamp plugged into that outlet to go out.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Nehru_Amidala and Kahara like this.
  8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That sort of weirdness reminds me of when we kept the AC turned off, lived in near-darkness, and rarely used appliances, but got electric bills for $200 a month. When there was rain in our downstairs bathroom, we called maintenance. What they found was that the switch for the AC had been frozen into place due to a malfunction in the unit on the roof and so it was constantly using electricity, but never responding to our attempts to turn it off. The rain was the ice on the AC unit melting in the July heat. When it got fixed, we payed $46 or so a month.

Jedi Knight Fett, Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Obi-Wan feels like more like a sewing/needlework person than a knitting one, to me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Kahara likes this.
  10. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    No worries, maybe I should let him start woodcarving instead? No...wait...Tatooine....wood? Maybe not the best idea in the galaxy.

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My roommate says Obi-wan is definitely a weaver.

Jedi Knight Fett, Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh]

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Weaver? Rock carver maybe? I can see both being viable and somewhat handy on Tatooine.

I've had a pretty lazy weekend with not much to do thanks to the poor road conditions and it still being a bit cold. Thankfully it's back to pretty much seasonal norms today with the temperature just above freezing. It's actually raining today which is helping melt all the ice, plus it's supposed to stay above freezing. As much as I generally don't mind winter, I don't like it when the weather dictates my plans. I can't believe I used to endure months of that where I used to live.

Kahara likes this.
  14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I have used a sort of hand loom to make hats and head bands. I mostly do embroidery.

Well we have cold water upstairs and heat again for the first time in almost two years. We no longer need space heaters and don't need to haul our clothes to the laundry mat to be washed! Whooo! [face_party]Now Dany wants to come over to do her laundry like she used to.

Now we're going to renovate the house room by room so we can still live in the house and not rent hotel rooms and rent storage lockers for our stuff.

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Sounds like good progress.
    @Briannakin hope you get to have some relief from that weather soon. I once got snowed in for four days and when we could finally get out, we just went to whatever movie was playing.

Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Glad to hear things are starting to get straightened out, Misty!

Thanks, Ish. It was snowing here earlier but now it's raining, which is good. Tomorrow I have some plans with some new friends - we go to coffee every Wednesday as part of a bigger 'wheelchair users group', but afterwards tomorrow, some of us are going to go play basketball (we are all just bored out of our skulls) and I'm really hoping I can make it! We are also going curling on Friday. It was snowing earlier today, but then it turned to rain so I'm just hoping it stays above freezing.

mavjade and DarthIshtar like this.
  17. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I got a pay raise! My income went up by 10%! I need to buy something frivolous to celebrate! [Googling Baby Yoda merchandise].

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Congrats. My next impulse buy will probably be a breakfast sandwich maker.

I spent the entire weekend feeling like I was making things worse at my weekend job. So far this week at my normal job, it hasn’t been much better, but at least there, it’s much less personal.

Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.
  19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm glad things are looking up, Lady_Misty! Especially the heat! Having laundry is nice, but heat is really needed!

Bri- I want to go curling!! That all sounds like a lot of fun, I hope you get to go!

Congrats Jedi_Lover! That's a pretty big raise!!

I've been trying to get the nerve up to go take a dance class at the dance school near me. They offer adult classes at all levels so that's not a worry. It's just that I grew up in dance and I know my body can't do what it used to do (since it's been over 15 years since I seriously danced) and that can be really frustrating. I couldn't do it before this due to my last job, but I think I can reasonably be at a class one day a week most weeks with this job. Someone give me the courage to go do it!

Lady_Misty and Gamiel like this.
  20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m slightly the same way, only, I’m someone who grew up doing jazz and tap and want to try the ballet/jazz class locally. I found this excuse: the professional ballet company in the city has just introduced adult beginner classes to their academy and I contacted the guy in PR who usually arranges my tickets to Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, Giselle, etc. and said I’d love to attend one and give a perspective on how it is for someone who would love to dance, but isn’t your typical student. He said “Yes! Let’s discuss when you can do that!”

tl;dr: I’m a size 12 with arthritis in my feet and a bad back. You can totally do better than me in some regard!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    DO ITTTT! If I can get up the courage to try out all these wheelchair sports for the first time, you should take up dance classes again!

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What Briannakin said :)

mavjade and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010

mavjade , DarthIshtar and Gamiel like this.
  24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  25. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    DO IT! Do it, do it, do it!

If it helps any, I understand the frustration part. I rode horses and took piano lessons for years and I was never very good at either one. Being a perfectionist that was hard to deal with sometimes. But I really miss both hobbies, and I realize now it really is okay to do something just because you enjoy it. :p And if it fits with your work schedule, even better!

mavjade likes this.