main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT State why you love the Prequels!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ForceGhostAnakin, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This. A hundred times this. =D=

2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Indeed. The fact they are easily adaptable to video games is a positive as well, not a negative. They are breezy fun and easily accessible.

Princess_Tina and ThisIsTheWay like this.
  3. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    The dark side prevailing and my boy Palpy being such a deserving victor!

Erkan12 and themoth like this.
  4. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Beautifully stated. Everytime I watch the prequels I am "there" more than with even the originals. I travel to the fabulous cities, I frequent the locations and I take the ride with our beloved characters. Its pure escapism. Dare I say the prequels are as dear to my heart as the orignals? Is that even allowed? ;)

5. Anakin_and_Padme

Anakin_and_Padme Jedi Master

Nov 27, 2010
    I saw the prequels when I was a kid and I always felt enamored with them. I love the prequels because it gives you a lot of insight into the Star Wars universe before everything became dreadful. I loved seeing the complexity between the Jedi and in some ways the Sith. I always viewed the Jedi as good, but after watching the prequels I noticed that they had faults just like everyone else, even though they themselves didn't recognize it. I loved seeing Anakin as a kid and it was hard for me to wrap my mind around him being the fearsome Sith Lord. However, it made sense because he loved his family and always wanted the best for them. He just didn't know how to communicate his feelings properly which led to him being easily manipulated by Palpatine. I also loved his relationship with Padme. Even though some of their dialogue was cheesy, I loved it. I also loved the planet Naboo. It was so beautiful! I also loved how Coruscant looked in the prequels as well. The sceneries in the overall prequels were beautiful and inviting. I could get lost in it for ages. Side note, the whole prequel universe is how I imagine what our world will look like in the year 3000.
    There's so much more I could say, but I'm going to stop.

6. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I was 9-10 when TPM came out and remember waiting for hours around the brand new IMAX theater.

I honestly love the story of the PT. Anakin’s fall will always be one of my favorite tales from anything. It’s tragic but so full. Not just the love story, but I might even call Obi-Wan and Anakin a more tragic story.

I like the new worlds we see, they’re all so beautiful and colorful. I’ve gone out of my way in travels outside of the US to go and see some of the filming locations because they were burned in my memory. Also, the costume designs are PERFECT!

7. Bananakin_

Bananakin_ Jedi Master star 2

Dec 3, 2016
    I love how large the galaxy feels in those movies. We get a good look of the core planets and the aesthetic of a highly civilized time. Coruscant is my favorite planet of all time, and I will never be bored of it.

8. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    The prequels tell a real story set in an epic and wonderfully realized universe. The scale of them is truly impressive. They’re beautiful and engrossing. A real test for me of quality is how memorable something is. On that scale, the PT stands out from the pack in terms of film generally and space opera specifically.

9. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I love the prequels because of the purity of Lucas's vision. For me they're flawed but beautiful - hugely ambitious and visually inventive with amazing sound design and great music throughout. I think if Lucas had allowed another voice or two into the writer's room, and had been less determined to drive technology forward at the expense of aesthetic continuity with the OT, they would have been 'better' in many ways - but we might have lost that purity. The prequels are a real auteur piece - and they show the benefits and the downsides to that kind of film-making. They expanded what Star Wars could be, and they were anything but a mindless retread of the OT, or simple fan-service. The themes have proved apposite to both the politics of the time they were released, and seem somewhat prescient today. Also, in RotS, the prequels gave us a genuine enduring Sci Fi classic in my opinion. I've been watching them regularly - as regularly as the OT - since 2005, and that's not something that's going to be true of the Disney films, which have none of the flaws of the prequels, but none of the meaning or mythic power either.

Def Trooper and Starwarsisover like this.
  10. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    They resemble fairy tales, visually. Almost as if this is Yoda as a Force Ghost telling Luke what went on before ANH. The PT has a magical, vast scope that makes the OT seem very claustrophobic.

Princess_Tina and Deliveranze like this.
  11. Starwarsisover

Starwarsisover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2017
    I always come back to them so it must count for something. ROTS is becoming my favourite SW movie, I know it has some problems but it really is a great story and is played out so well by george.

You see everything on screen you hoped to see, it may not transpire in the way we all thought it wanted to but we see a man become consumed by the dark side, he desperately wants power to save the one he loves but instead of trying to do so he becomes consumed by the power of the dark side and it truly dominates his destiny.

His visions of padme go on to become a self fulfilling prophecy that he never escapes and he pays the price for his selfishness and wanting more.

The more I see the film the more I get it, even after all this time it’s improving.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  12. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I really like Anakin's arc, shame he was played by such awful actors (or terribly directed, whatever)

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I can't imagine better actors for Anakin. Although I admit Christian Bale might have done something interesting with that character, but he was already to old to play Anakin.

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Honestly Padme is the only prequel character where I can even begin to envision a different actor in the role, and even then that’s just barely the case. Lucas was spot on with the casting, one of many reasons I love the PT.

Starwarsisover and Deliveranze like this.
  15. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I re-watched the PT recently and was struck by its similarity to some stages of real life. When many of us were young, the worst evil we could imagine was encountering someone who was obviously bad and more powerful than you, who you were helpless against. That was what The Phantom Menace was—when a Sith apprentice wielding a double-bladed lightsabre who could kill a Jedi Master epitomised "scary". Then one grows up and realises that far more frightening than that are moral dilemmas and hidden corruption, and the idea that one is contributing to something that is wrong, but one doesn't know how to fix things without tearing down the edifice that is society. I love the PT because I see the essence of our world in the PT, and sometimes I wonder if time and nature's way of fixing things will take the same route as the Force did in the Star Wars universe...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    TPM is just a really fun, if flawed, film

17. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Why do people who like the Prequels have to go out of their way to state that they were flawed? I have noticed that I have done the same and I wish I could stop doing that. Yes, the Prequels are flawed. So are the Originals. I realize that many believe the latter are perfect or near perfect. But to my cold eye, the Originals are just as flawed in their own ways as the Prequels are in theirs. But why (and I'm also asking myself this question) . . . why is it necessary for those fans who like the trilogy to throw shade at the Prequels, while complimenting them at the same time?

18. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    World building exceeding anything I expected in my wildest teenage dreams. I turned 21 in 1999 close to when Phantom Menace came out.

19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    To be fair, I Are The Internets isnt a PT fan. :p He just likes TPM :p.

But I agree, in general. I call those types PT apologists. Those are the ones who back down quickly when someone says the PT sucks and then go "Well, yeah, I know...but but they aren't that bad." And then when someone says they're wrong, they go "Ok...yeah you're right. I'm sorry."

Its almost like they dont know how to argue their points because they are afraid of having to argue against the OT.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I’ve never needed the “I know they’re flawed but...” preface. In fact for me the PT is what elevated SW to more than just a fun, goofy adventure series that reminds me of my childhood.

21. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I think it has a lot to do with fandom mentality and personalities in general. Some people are submissive when confronted and others aren’t, that’s human nature. But I think the biggest factor is that fandoms tend to be very aggressive. There’s a protection behind the computer screen. A lot of people join fan groups and sites to get a sense of comradery. As usual to these groups, they tend to lean one way more than the other, especially at specific times. I think these “apologists” are merely succumbing to pressure so as to avoid discourse or arguments. Sometime I simply want to discuss a scene or a plot I enjoyed, but I don’t want to have to argue the meaning behind it or the repercussions every-single-time. And if someone so directly disagree with you, the odds of you changing their mind are null.

Sith Lord 2015 and Deliveranze like this.
  22. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    There's also a distinction to made between actual flaws and viewer misconceptions :p

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I love the prequels because they showed us a lot of moral ambiguity. I may not be a fan of the dialogue, but the moral ambiguity is something I dig. I often praise the prequel era for introducing us great novels and comics in between Episodes I and II, as well as II and III. But George Lucas had a right to get so horny about politics. His idea that a republic will often choose to give power to a person like the Caesars, Napoleon, or Hitler is accurate. It's not only accurate in terms of corporate regimes transforming into totalitarian ones. It's accurate in terms of democracies oppressing their own citizens in certain (more often than not) cases. So, that pessimism is warranted. It shows us that history does not repeat itself, but it very often rhymes.

Seriously, on a lighter note, I love the visuals. I feel the lightsaber duels are fab. I believe Liam Neeson, Ian McDiarmid, Ewan McGregor, and Hayden Christensen all were doing their best to elevate the material. All round. So, yeah. Some people like to critique Lucas for how he handled the acting and the story. But I don't think that over-intellectualizations are bad in certain cases. That's why I refer to be a gusher or a basher. I'm in the middle. The prequels are fine, and I'm down with them.

24. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I love the Prequels because it's like when The Beatles went psychedelic, or when Prince switched from synth horns/drums to a real horn section and real drums. It's genius expressing itself with a different aesthetic, yet retaining their vision and mythology at the core.

themoth and Subtext Mining like this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    They truly made Star Wars into a franchise and a space epic.

Def Trooper, Deliveranze and rpeugh like this.