main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should Episode Numbering Continue For This New Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 15, 2019.

?

Should the new Saga have Episode numbers?

1. Yes, of course

29.2%
  2. No, you idiot

70.8%
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I can't wait to have the first one saying: "They should even remove the word Star Wars from Star Wars"

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    My whole audience laughed at that logo. It was so bad. And yeah the almost John Williams score was super awkward.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, if the top criticism of your film is its logo, you’ve probably done something right!

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't see how a whole audience could laugh at that logo... it's not like it was written in Comic Sans or something.

Darth Chiznuk and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Admittedly it was a very early showing, I think around 9:30 or 10:00 in the morning so the theater was far from full. Still I heard a lot snickering at how bad it looked.

6. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Maybe this should be in the Unpopular Opinions thread but they should have retired the John Williams "main score" starting with the prequels. I could even make a case that it was past its sell date in ROTJ though given that that was part three of a trilogy that used it so far, it was inevitable. That wasn't just the Luke Skywalker theme, it was the Luke Skywalker the Callow Farm Boy Who Craved Adventure theme. By the ROTJ time frame, Luke was no longer that person.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  7. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I do think the Rogue One opening logo was rather weak. Not only because it felt like a rather lame attempt at a "different" version of the opening logo and crawl, but because the music just didn't really match the tone of the movie, especially the rather serious and dark intro up to that point.

At least with Solo it was a version that was different than the saga, but felt right bc it set the proper ominous tone of the crime organizations fighting for survival under the empire, and then transforms to something slightly adventurous when Han hotwires the speeder and blasts through the city at night. With Rogue One, you had this child who just lost her family, got trapped in a hole, and is rescued by a militia member that will ultimately lead her down a rough childhood of war. But then the "Star War-but-not-Star-Wars" font shows up and a very uplifting theme plays that doesn't match anything immediately before or after the title. I know it is Jyn's theme, but a more somber rendition would have made that work a lot more.

In my opinion, Mandalorian is the only one that has done it completely right. It perfectly fits the feel and tone of the series, while already being unique enough that it has become synonymous with the show without losing a Star Wars feel. Seeing the title (which is completely new) pop up with the Mandalorian theme whistle and the chapter title fading in is perfect and yet completely different than the main saga. Clone Wars is similar too, I love the war news reel similarities.

I think chapter/episode numbers are fine if they are just in the opening credit/title sequence. Hell, episode 7, 8, and 9 don't even have numbers in their title, just in the crawl (unlike the PT). Have the opening title fit the tone of what they are trying to accomplish with the film(s), and if they know there will be multiple in the series then just include "Chapter/Episode 2" in the beginning.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I remember the reaction the logo got from early screenings and then I saw it myself and saw nothing wrong with it. There's nothing spectacular about it but nothing egregious about it either. It's just a rather simple logo.

With that out of the way... I still think they should keep episode numbers and opening crawls for their "Sagas". It's just too iconic to Star Wars to do away with completely. It would be like the Bond films getting rid of the gun barrel intro and stylized title screens. No, I say!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Episode numbering is quite fun but the story must demand it. I'd love to see some creative reasons for starting in the middle, or even at the end, of things.

10. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I wouldn't mind it. But once it gets into the higher numbers it might start to sound a bit ridiculous, so now might be the right time to stop.

As for the titles of future films, I would prefer not so many colons, so maybe they could take cues from the recent Apes franchise to group movies together.

Star Wars: Dawn of the Old Republic
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Star Wars: Fall of the Old Republic

That kind of thing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Star wars the High Republic and some other title that come up with.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  12. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Basically, this.

I think it only make sense that since the Skywalker Saga is officially done that the episodic titles are retired for good.

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I think the title should include Star Wars, basically Star Wars: The High Republic for example. I think they should take inspiration from Marvel and create some similar intro that highlights how the films are connected. Something similar to the opening of Mandalorian is what I’m thinking could work well.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Blobofat likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, unless they actually make Episode X (star Wars saga continues after the Skywalker saga) then pass. Although I could see like blue crawl and Chapter 1. Or hell start at Chapter 7 just to mess with us.

dolphin likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think they should only use numbers - no movie names, no crawls, no character names, nothing. Just numbers.

Episode 147

Boom. Movie starts. Characters with numbers floating above their heads shout numbers at each other as numbers pursue them in numbered starships. Nobody knows what the hell is happening. Money flows like waterfalls.

The Chalk Jedi, dolphin and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'd like to see something simple like:
    "Star Wars Saga #2, The High Republic, Episode 1, Subsection C: 'The Hilariously Unfortunate Fate Of The Misguided Jedi, Part 2', V1.4"

Blobofat, DarthRosie and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    The crawl and numbers should be unique to the Skywalker saga and be retired permanently. I like that the Skywalker story will have something unique to it (and yes, I think there should be no more Skywalker stories).

Bor Mullet, PymParticles and EHT like this.
  18. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Well, if they want, in the future, to release Episode 7, 8, 9 and so on and replace the current ST, I wouldn't be opposed to it.
    Otherwise, no.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    See in my perfect world the Skywalker Saga would just be one saga among many. All of them together telling the story of the GFFA. All sagas would use the episodic format but each would start over from I. So for example it would be Episodes I-IX of the Skywalker Saga then Episodes I-IX of the Force Saga then Episodes I-IX of the Bane Saga, etc. Then you could still have spinoffs and whatever without the Episode numbers and crawl.

PymParticles likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is why I think they should take a "Tolkien" approach to Star Wars. Tell the story of the galaxy through many different characters, and eras. But the GFFA should be the real star of the saga. Everything else should just be chapters in the over all history of the GFFA.

21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Probably not.

If they did continue numbering from 9, they would actually need to continue the saga after that, which they have said they wouldn't do. If it is a new saga that has nothing to do with that, and they were to start it over number-wise, they should name the new SW saga with the number, then provide the title of the movie. For example (random example, not actually these words), instead of "Star Wars 1- The Big Battle", it would be "Star Wars The Mandalorian Series 1: The Big Battle." Otherwise it convolutes too much with the other names.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  22. DarthRosie

DarthRosie Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2014
    Looks like a reference to US Tax Code

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I mentioned before that I'd like for the episode numberings to end with the Skywalker Saga, but now that I think about it, and with the possibility of new film series coming-I would love to see a new series at least numbered-if not marketed-in this way...perhaps even with a crawl! I could see that working well with a High Republic series or something...

24. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I'd like to see a new series start off with Episode 299.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Kingdom Hearts as a video game series has done something kinda similar

Technically the retconned it so that Kingdom Hearts 1-3 (Including all the games that came in-between them, don't ask) is known as the Xehanort Saga, and now the games moving forward are gonna be...The next saga.

So maybe when they move forward in the timeline they'll say episode 10-18 are...IDK....The New Jedi Order Saga...Or the Mortis Saga...Or...the...(Insert retconned thematic) Saga. and then episode 19-27 is...The Third saga.