main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2020 Deadpool-ish

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jan 7, 2020.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The Pythons pay tribute...

"I loved him the moment I saw him on stage at the Edinburgh Festival in 1963. So many laughs,moments of total hilarity onstage and off we have all shared with him. It’s too sad if you knew him,but if you didn’t you will always smile at the many wonderfully funny moments he gave us." -Eric Idle

HE WAS A VERY NAUGHTY BOY!!...and we miss you.
    Terry was someone totally consumed with life.. a brilliant, constantly questioning, iconoclastic, righteously argumentative and angry but outrageously funny and generous and kind human being... and very often a complete pain in the ass.
    One could never hope for a better friend. Goodbye" -Terry Gilliam

"Jusr heard about Terry J. Feels strange that a man of so many talents and such endless enthusiasm, should have faded so gently away... Of his many achievements, for me the greatest gift he gave us all was his direction of 'Life of Brian'. Perfection. Two down, four to go." -John Cleese

Michael Palin

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    jim lehrer passed away, hosted pbs newshour and was a journalist for many years.

moderated twelve presidential debates, the final being the first obama/romney debate in 2012.

Master_Rebado and Pensivia like this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    :( May he rest in peace.

Master_Rebado and Yodaminch like this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks for posting the Michael Palin clip, I didn't realize how close he and Terry were and that they wrote together (Lots I never knew).

Strange to think about Graham and Terry not being here any more. @};-

soitscometothis likes this.
  5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Not that strange to think about Graham not being here any more, given he's been dead for over 30 years.

harpua, Diggy , MrZAP and 1 other person like this.
  6. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Graham died six weeks before I was born. But ever since then my whole life we've had all the other Pythons. It does feel like the beginning of the end, even if I can see a couple of them living for quite a long time yet.

Of course there were exceptions, but I believe generally the main writing teams on Flying Circus (and often outside of it) were Jones and Palin, Chapman and Cleese, and Eric Idle writing alone for the live-action sketches, with Gilliam doing the animation and lots of random small parts.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That jives with most of their interviews on the matter. There's actually a sketch - that objectively maybe isn't all that great, but has a sort of meta brilliance to it - called "What the Stars Foretell" where Jones and Palin did a Chapman and Cleese parody, so in the middle of the bit a giant screen of synonyms for "foretell" drops down and everyone just recites them.

Edit: Incidentally it's the extremely punchy stuff like that which makes Season Three underrated, IMO. All the bitterness of Season Four, none of the bad extended sequences about ballooners taking a bath! I don't know why people aren't just constantly singing the praises of The Cycling Tour.

Which reminds me:

MrZAP and soitscometothis like this.
  8. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Mr. Creosote from The Meaning of Life is probably my wife's favorite Python bit. Yes, I am married to an insane person.

Terry was a brilliant man.

MrZAP likes this.
  9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Of course.

Well, I still regret not seeing Graham at my university two years before he passed so that is part of it. The other reason, his work continues to make me laugh very hard. He remains my favorite MP member and his humor still gives me so much. So I still think of Graham in the present tense.

MrZAP likes this.
  10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    hell yes...

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Definitely one of the highlights of the DVD release. There was also an entire subtitle track that was just Shakespeare’s 2 Henry IV which... you know, in hindsight, kind of explains a lot.

MrZAP likes this.
  13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think I have seen Life of Brian more often than any SW movie.

MrZAP and harpua like this.
  14. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I can co-sign all of this. Graham was a piece of exceptional brilliance among a group of other brilliant writers and actors, though by all accounts a pain to work with at times. It's too bad that he went when he did and we couldn't enjoy watching what he would do next like with the others.

Master_Lok likes this.
  15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Multiple sources reporting that Kobe Bryant has been killed in a helicopter crash.

16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Holy **** horrible news

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    **** only 41.

18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Wasn’t he a rapist?

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Do you think rape deserves the death penalty? I do not. Therefore I think this is still unfortunate.

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Sometimes I’d be ok with a death penalty. Harvey Weinstein for example

Master_Lok and Sarge like this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Honestly just a very surreal news story.

MrZAP, solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I appears his daughter died in the crash too.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Evidently there were 9 people onboard who all died, not 5. Yikes. Sad.

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Rest In Peace to all of the victims. @};- So sorry to hear about Gigi too. @};-

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, this is definitely way up there for me in terms of shock value. Literally saw it on tv at a restaurant I was eating at and I thought I'd misread what the screen said. I was like, "Oh, that's crazy, I actually thought that said Kobe Bryant died." Then it came up again. And I'm not even really into basketball, but it's still just really shocking.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Ramza, solojones and Juliet316 like this.