main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    True. I just haven’t learned how to become a force ghost, so I’m worried I’ll miss all the post-my death Star Wars movies.

dolphin likes this.
  2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    16 years from ROTJ to Phantom Menace. 10 years from Ep. 3 to Force Awakens. Lots of TV specials, animated episodes, novels, and comics in between.

The public forgives their criticisms of the films during the gap. Less gap means less forgiveness.

These films use up people's energy.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  3. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    You'll get no bombast from me - I deal only in cool rationality and facts and figures:

Firstly, the Saga films are the thing that will be remembered - and Lucas was pushed out of writing the end to his own story. Rationalise it all you want, and I'm not saying he wasn't to blame as well , but it's a mindbogglingly awful situation. Lucas's ending of the story - the beautiful simplicity of Luke's Jedi pacifism, setting a moral example for his father. Abram's ending - Emperor blasted into a trillion pieces with a pathetic deus ex machina. Disney took something special, fragile, holy in a way, and destroyed it - like colonial era looters, rampaging through the temples of a civilisation they'll never understand, and melting down priceless sacred objects for a bit of short-term cash.

Secondly, I don't care about the franchise being 'viable' - I care about it being cared about. We obviously have different visions of what Star Wars is, was, and could be. With every successive mediocre pastiche, Disney dilute the brand. There is no sign that they are ever going to be able to recapture former glories - what we've been served up so far suggests quite the opposite. At what point do we have so much landfill cinematic content that Star Wars is just a washed out, pallid, soulless, meaningless black hole (a fictional miniature universe crystallised in the dung of a bleating corporatised cash-cow)? I'd argue we're teetering right on the brink of that now. One more misstep, and all that cultural cache accumulated by the timeless Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back will finish draining down time's ever more rapidly swirling plughole.

4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Oh yes, there are only two real Star Wars films, all the other 9 are just colonial looter crap and destruction of the sacred holliness of those only two pure and perfect Star Wars movies.

ROTJ? Crap. Everything else? Crap too.

All this hyperbole does not match with the "cool rationality" and supposed "facts and figures".

Pacifism does not mean not blowing the hell out of a ******* when you get the chance to.

Also, the new term to hate on Rey ("pathetic deus ex machina") is at least creative.

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm not sure whether this post was meant to be tongue in cheek?

Firstly I'm not sure why you'd assume I don't have a problem with Lucas not being utilised for the ST. I've consistently expressed my annoyance at that.

Secondly I simply disagree that all of Disney's output can be judged seemingly by the ST. RO, Solo and TM have very much been consistent with what GL created. Nor do I think anything can 'damage' the existing content.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. topgoalscorer_no11

Jul 23, 2001
    I've no problem with Rey - she's doing her best. It's the story the poor woman is forced to inhabit that's the problem.

I expressed my admiration for RotJ's denouement in that very post. Crap is a strong term - I enjoy even some of the Disney stuff, but there was something sacred about the OT -and everything since then (even my beloved Prequel Trilogy) has taken away as much as it's added.

It's just not the kind of clever storytelling we got in the OT, even perhaps in the prequels. Lucas is a far better storyteller than Abrams et al. Different league. That's a problem for the Saga.

Something can be very tongue in cheek and also 100 percent true in every aspect. The flighty rhetoric conceals the kernel of what is in essence a very simple message: Disney is evil, Bob Iger is the Devil and the story group are all His little demons.

I'm not having a go at you - your views are clearly fundamentally sound, and everyone is welcome to their own opinions on the merits of the new films. But I think they can damage the existing content. It's difficult to unsee the ST, especially when you saw them all at least three times in cinemas and have had multiple viewings on home media devices.

7. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Time heals old wounds.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Let's try to keep our criticism constructive, and avoid directly insulting or name calling individuals.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Calling people evil, the Devil and demons is positively civilized these days.

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah this is nonsense.

If it has that affect for you, why see it so many times?

Ricardo Funes and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. topgoalscorer_no11

Jul 23, 2001
    Learn to understand very obviously telegraphed irony, perhaps?

12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Not quite sure I get the irony there. Perhaps facetiousness?

Bor Mullet and Ricardo Funes like this.
  13. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    They normally respond to my opinions with gifs of stormtroopers banging their heads on tables or something like that. Yes, it is passive-aggressive. I agree on that.

Oh yeah...

A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far, Far Away....

That could get interesting....

The tech-level is futuristic but it occurred in the distant past...

I'm not sure if the dots will ever be connected in our lifetime...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Learn how to follow our very simple rules and mod warnings or you and I will be having a more in-depth conversation on the matter in Unban Requests. Sound good?

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, at least learn the definition of words if you’re going to ridicule others about not understanding them...

16. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    "Telegraphed Irony" works for me! I might use that one day. @topgoalscorer_no11

is your idea we are telegraphing ironic statements to each other across great distances and even continents? That works in a sort of retro-tech sense for the word "telegraph."

[​IMG]

17. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    As intellectual property, Star Wars is still incredibly valuable. It takes a lot of corporate mismanagement to destroy IP value. One infamous case that comes to mind is Universal's Monster lineup. We're a FAR, FAR galaxy away (pardon the pun) from that debacle, notwithstanding Kathleen Kennedy's actions.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Unless the films are really, really good...

19. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm saying in order to make really good SW films, they expend tons of energy on everyone, creators, fans, licensees, etc. Look at all of Lucas's statements on making SW films.

20. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah that's doesn't make sense. You don't need a creative gap for the audience to 'forgive' the ST.

dolphin and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I was confused also

DarthPhilosopher and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    SW fatigue and unfulfilled expectations

23. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The goal is to have regularly made and regularly excellent SW films. With strong planning and strong choice of creatives, this should be the norm. So far it has not.

It's not an either-or choice between quantity and quality.

2Cleva likes this.
  24. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Considering Obi-Wan is back on the shelf it might not be either.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  25. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I wouldn't be surprised if Kenobi becomes a film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.