main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I wasn't really responding to your post, sorry about any misunderstanding - it was intended as more of a general observation about how fans criticized TROS as "rushed" and "unplanned" and yet are attacking KK for wanting to pause and make sure Kenobi is done right. It's baffling - you can give fans exactly what they ask for, and they'll still find reasons to be upset about it.

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    That's too clean and easy. A far more dramatic and meaningful end would be for Obi-Wan to call Vader on A'Sharad, then let Vader deal with him. Kenobi would be forced to make the difficult decision to utilize the Sith for the greater good of protecting Luke.

3. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    It was going to be a movie
    Then it was going to be a TV show
    Then it was going to be a mini series
    Now it’s going to be a movie again?

I think the fact that we are this far into the process and they still can’t nail down what format they are going to be using is a pretty valid concern. Less “We are doing rewrites so it turns out good.” and more “we’ve be planning this for literal years and still don’t know the basics of what the product is going to be.” It’s concerning to say the least.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    YES. Honestly any scene with Owen with a shotgun. I was just watching The Great Gatsby last week and realized that was him as the villain. If he can make Leonardo DiCaprio shake just by staring him down, I want to see him go up against some tuskens. Joel Edgerton's a pretty good actor.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What are LFL's media team doing? I know they have one but the way they're doing things is really odd.
    • Announce Kenobi
    • Do big PR blitz, including that McGregor's back
    • Big PR blitz works, loads of positive buzz
    • Then this news.
    [face_dunno]Ah but it's leaked, well so what?... I have an acquaintance who has worked on SW films professionally. And because he is a professional individual he upholds his NDA. What is it with everything on SW getting leaked?

6. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Any very general early-days leak which somehow also contains the very specific notes that "XXX is getting recanonized" is fanfic.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The only reason I'm bummed about a delay really is just cuz I thought it was possible we could have gotten Mando S2 and then Kenobi, like, right afterwards. I need a string of unbroken weekly Star War in my life, dammit (which, to be fair, we've had with Resistance's final season but it's been a little up and down).

8. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The only positive I’m gonna say is...

Twin Peaks: The Return had the most stressful lead up to its release, being rewritten, reconfigured, etc multiple times. Ended up being (in my opinion) the greatest show of all time.

What’s happening here is different from a Solo situation where they’re literally almost done filming and fire the directors.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah LFL has mostly graduated to firing people before filming begins so that's definitely progress!

PimpBacca likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Soon they will have a fully operational recruitment process.

11. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    No worries @The Positive Fan it was my mistake.

John Campea sums up my thoughts really well. Fair Warning he swears once in this one. ( he doesn’t often swear)

Vorax and The Positive Fan like this.
  12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Any love for Twin Peaks automatically earns a like :D And that's always an important point to remember - behind the scenes turmoil never guarantees a disaster on-screen. As not just Twin Peaks but a great many Star Wars projects, including ANH itself, will testify.

Xammer likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  14. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yes he does. Awful reviewer. Mysoginistic cretin that he is.

15. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    What if we get a movie and the 4 part series?

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    There's a part of me that is honestly thinking now that they should just adapt Kenobi. I mean, I'd be willing to bet actual cash money that a lot of the problem here is that they know fans want to see a Kenobi film/series, and Ewan McGregor is willing to do it, but there's no actual story concept to go along with that. So if that's the issue...

17. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I agree that that's exactly the problem - no story that needs to be told. That's the problem with Kenobi in general. Ewan is fantastic and a great leading actor, but Kenobi is not a good leading character. He was narratively designed from the start to be a support character and mentor and is firmly canon-locked into that position. It's an extremely limiting thing for a storyteller to work around.

18. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Also, he's stuck on Tatooine, which severely limits the epicness of the kinds of stories that can be told during that era.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  20. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Even if it’s not a direct adaptation, Obi-Wan learning how to be old Ben is probably the best direction they could go with it.

My money is that they would prefer something more action packed and lightsaber fighty than that. But they just can’t figure out a way for it to make sense.

21. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I disagree completely that Obi-Wan lacks the depth to be a main character, especially during such a psychologically troubling time for him following the fall of the Order. I also disagree that despite it being on Tatooine, that it'll be a hinderance to a good writer.

22. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    It's been mentioned here (and it's also been clear for decades) that the perfect kind of Kenobi story to be told has been stylistically embedded in SW since its inception -- a Kurosawa-style samurai thing. And it *did* strike some of us, around Episode 2 of The Mandalorian, that we were getting that already. Now, sure, SW has done that before, but this was high-profile big-budget KuroStarWars coming out basically right before production on Obi-Wan started. I don't think it's a stretch that someone said "um, guys, this is perfect for Kenobi, but we literally just did it".

23. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    I think the few Marvel issues that featured Obi-Wan on Tatooine watching over a young Luke would be terrific blueprints for a movie/series as well.

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    There's plenty to explore here. Obi-Wan us going to have the psychological and spiritual trauma of his entire family being murdered by their comrades in arms, alongside Obi-Wan's brother/son/best friend. Who he fought and left to die.

The story to tell is his spiritual journey from trauma, fear and regret to wise old man that can become immortal in the Force.

It could basically be The Last Temptation of Christ in Star Wars, with the added bonus of doing flashbacks or Force visions to play out scenes between Ewan and Hayden during the Clone Wars. Moments between them of deep brotherhood or moments where Obi-Wan let slide troubling sign of the tragedy to come.

Much as Yoda had his spirit journey, Obi-Wan needs his and he need not travel to mysterious mystic planets to do it.

IG: @jedisufism

Riv_Shiel and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  25. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    I'd prefer something similar but with a different focus: give Obi-Wan a potential love interest (and thus conflict over whether certain parts of the Jedi code are even relevant in this time period), with callbacks to the untold stories of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon protecting Satine -- the last time Obi-Wan himself truly questioned the order. But... that's mostly because I really want to see that particular story, and always want more Qui-Gon, whereas I've had plenty of Anakin in all forms.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.