main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    lol

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I bet even when this show does come out since it will people will still say the show will be cancelled by the second episode.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Quick question: is Chow still on board to direct?

4. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yes

Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Fanks

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope they dvelve into the Tuskens, the mandalorian teased it a little, hope to get more of them in in this show.

7. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Kennedy is certainly a competent producer of individual films and projects--she's had experience in that going back forty-odd years--but by now, yes, I'd consider it at least arguable that managing an ongoing multimedia franchise seems another thing. I would agree that Filoni and Favreau should be considered to take over the streaming show side of things.

dolphin and Troy_Viszla like this.
  8. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    The INEVITABLE reddit "leak:

Link:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2020
    Doompup likes this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep it was posted a few pages back. I think more people were leaning BS

10. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Well Picard was panned before it aired and ended up with a pretty impressive first ep. I'm confident the Kenobi show will be really good. The Mandalorian shows that Disney can get it right. Even the latter half of this Resistance season has actually been really good.

StardustSoldier likes this.
  11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    But... they aren't really producers. A producer and a director or showrunner are completely different roles. It's like asking a butcher to go go feed and raise all the animals. Like yeah I kind of get it in theory, but you're just asking completely unqualified people within the pipeline to replace the person that actually knows what they're doing. If you suggested another producer or producer adjacent role like a content manager or something, that would be a different story, but I get the sense that Filoni and Favreau are being thrown out just because they're recognizable names with a good deal of clout within the fandom, not because they have the right skill sets.

12. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I think SW is just as difficult in its own way as Star Trek. The style of storytelling between the two franchises are probably different, but both can be rather complex and compelling if done to one's satisfaction.

I wanted "Solo". I wanted movies about both Han and Obi-Wan. So far, I got "Solo", which I enjoyed very much. It became one of my favorite films of 2018. I think Lucasfilm screwed up matters by hiring Lord and Miller and failing to keep an eye on them, when they should have. Bringing in Ron Howard was a good decision. But Lucasfilm and Disney screwed up again by releasing the film five months after "The Last Jedi". I can only hope Kennedy and Lucasfilm will do right with the Obi-Wan series in the end.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    wobbits and Twain like this.
  13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Agree with everything here except for "Lucasfilm and Disney screwed up again by releasing the film five months after "The Last Jedi." Absolutely a screw up, but one that falls directly on Iger.

RetropME, Twain and Bor Mullet like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Right, and he said so publicly.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Sounds like rumors of Jar Jar appearing cursed this series,lol.

BigAl6ft6 and nilzo antonio like this.
  17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    They probably assumed it could run just like Marvel where the movies are usually a few months apart from each other.

Turns out Star wars probably isn't that unbreakable. it does need room to breath.

Thing about the concept of an Obi Wan spin off is there are so many things you can do because of his history, so many characters he has known, so many places he has been or had involvement in. that i ain't even sure whether 6 episodes would do that justice

And then of course there is a point where you question what elements should be allowed to mix with a post Episode 3 again and what shouldn't. are there limitations?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    StardustSoldier likes this.
  18. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    On one hand, I'm glad they're rewriting these scripts if "Obi-Wan protects Luke" is all they had.

On the other hand, KK said, "We have all the scripts written" back in August. Why did it take this long to make a decision?

I'm also concerned about them possibly cutting the episode order. There are soooo many great stories they could tell yet it seems like they're struggling to come up with a single one. If anything, they should be having trouble limiting themselves to just one season.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  19. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Hopefully the reports are true.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Can't wait for the bit where Ben comes back to his house and finds two Tusken's chilling in the living room. He yells at them to get out, and the next day he returns home to find seven Tusken's chilling in the living room.

21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The episode of the Mandalorian that Filoni wrote was, I thought, the most poorly-written one. So I hope he’s not the writer. But I want him to be involved on a creative level.

22. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Well, that's the entire trouble with this whole story: the D23 presentation back in August.
    Either Kennedy was just lying to everyone when she said or she was overruled by someone later in the game.
    But if you go back and watch what she said back them ( and how she said, alongside Ewan McGregor in the stage) it's quite clear the Lucasfilm mangement has serious issues.

wobbits and Vorax like this.
  23. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    One of the Reylo podcasters (Marie Claire somebody; I think the show is called "What the Force?") had an interesting theory on that episode -- she thinks it was actually written by GL, and Filoni just put his name on it.

It was pretty convincing.

Doompup likes this.
  24. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    This Kenobi bump definitely offers more evidence in favor of moving in a new direction away from Kennedy.

It's true that Filoni should serve more as a story consultant or co-developer than main writer. Then again, it could also be that Filoni just needs more development time -- he's risen and risen to every challenge LFL has offered him. Sometimes he whiffs at first, but then learns and rises to the occasion.

Kennedy has a long track record, from what I've read, of messy development. I don't see a reason to think this will change since her style of management seems to be simply her style of doing things.

I think the big problem with Kennedy is she just doesn't understand SW deeply. Evidence for this is to think that Legends doesn't offer any source material possibilities. That ignorance of already existing story is a serious problem.

Felicia likes this.
  25. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    ...what?