main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Thanks for that - that's crazy. Cinematography, lighting, set design and finish, and the digital cameras then. It definitely looks less real in the finished shot than in the photos.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  2. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I think again is the digital camera that bothers you. As the first movie shot in such way AOTC were revolutionary but in the same way strange. For me this strange-ness fits in the essence of the movie but maybe it doesn't work for everyone. However I would give it a second chance. Maybe now with so many movies shot digitally, you could re- appraise it.

Deliveranze likes this.
  3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I thought the title of this thread was “Making my day! - Pro-Prequel Articles.”

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Been noticing an influx of PT hate/criticism on the boards in general. Then again, even in the post-PT hate era of SW fandom, every once in a blue moon, there tends to be a bit of a surge. :p

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

Her ROTS reaction is up.

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Without going into details, I think we're seeing a little bit of a backlash from certain people who now realize that the PT will indeed be remembered more fondly than....other movies.

It'll die down again soon.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  7. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Definitely, and it's hard to comment without coming across as attacking fans of ....other movies. There's certainty a lot on mind gymnastics going onto justify the overall arc of it.
    I'm from the OT and didn't have problem with the PT, and was tired of the constant criticism of the PT.
    So there's some irony of my disappointment of ST and I've avoided that forum a few weeks after the RoS was released.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    You can say things about the movies and it doesn't mean you're attacking their fans. It's subjective to what we like and don't, with different reasons.

I'm not from the OT era, but I was originally more of an OT fan. I now consider myself a G-Canon fan, as I love both the originals and prequels.

A lot of us have fair, non-hostile reasons to dislike the ST, it doesn't make us bashers or toxic. It doesn't even mean there's a double standard.

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't think this thread is supposed to have trilogy comparisons. My only intention was to explain why the anti-PT rhetoric seems to have ramped up a bit lately. That's the main context I've been hearing it in.

wobbits, Count Yubnub, Sab Jo and 3 others like this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Neat. She cried, that's adorable :)

Interestingly she misunderstood the concept of balance of the Force, though. Admittedly, she's not alone in this. I wonder whether people who watch the movies in chronological order tend to have less of an issue with it. Anyway, this isn't the place to have that discussion.

11. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
  12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016

This guy is watching star wars for the first time, he watched episode 4 and 5, then watched 1,2 and 3... he shipped Leia and Luke so he was shocked to find out Leia was Lukes sister in episode 3, since he is saving episode 6 till last. its an interesting change of order right there.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Deliveranze and Sab Jo like this.
  13. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    siiggghhh, I wonder what silly person told him to watch it in that order? The only acceptable orders are chronological order, release order, and 4,1,2,5,3,6. Chronological order is the preferred order. Oh well, I suppose it could be worse. He could be using the "machete" order.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  14. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    It's such a bizarre and horribly paced way to watch them.

15. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    It annoys me that literally NOBODY watches it for the first time in chronological order! Every YouTube reaction starts with 4. How boring. Most people have had that experience. I want to see how the movies work 1-6

16. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Right. I don´t get why it´s so fricking hard for people to figure out the correct viewing order of a series of numbered films.

17. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    I love the order 451236. Sorry guys. That's how I tell anyone to watch it for the first time.

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Why would you wedge an entire trilogy in between the second and third installments of another trilogy? It makes no sense. You break up a perfectly paced narrative by dividing the first four hours from the last two hours and inserting six full hours of continuous backstory in between?

Do what you want, but again...it's bizarre. I think you're doing a disservice to whoever you're telling to watch it that way.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  19. Sab Jo

Sab Jo Jedi Master star 2

Jul 2, 2013
    The logic is to preserve both spoilers:
    1: Vader is Luke's father
    &
    2: Vader becomes Anakin again and is redeemed.

So the prequels are like a flashback, and then you've got RotJ which has two things unique to that movie that were used in the prequels, Anakin's name and the character of Palpatine.

That being said, I do enjoy numerical order better. I introduced my mother to it that way. She was engaged by the prequels, but then a little turned off by the relative cheesiness and humor from the originals. Her interest then perked up more in RotJ when it started coming full circle.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    cratylus and Deliveranze like this.
  20. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I dont so much mind people preferring release order. What annoys me is that a lot of people who prefer release order think chronological order is sacrilege, or that you are objectively supposed to view them in release order just because 1-3 are prequels. The prequels were actually made to be viewed first. And even for those of us who grew up with the originals first, we were supposed to pretend the prequels were made first and that we had missed out on them. Chronological order provides just as many, if not better surprises as release order does.

I forgive you as long as you don't tell them to omit 1.

4,1,2,5,3,6 delays and preserves all spoilers just as well if not better, and is better paced. As an added bonus the movies get progressively darker until 6 where everything is resolved.

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I understand the logic. But it's still awkward and weird. I don't think it's the best way to enjoy the story.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Sab Jo, cratylus and Deliveranze like this.
  22. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    It’s been years since I posted here but honestly I’ve been afraid to post here.
    Due to my extreme disappointment in the Disney Star Wars films, the disrespect towards the original GL films, and the death of the EU, my love for Star Wars has basically died.

I feared that my perceived negativity would be viewed as “toxic” or whatever. That being said, the vindication I feel from seeing the newfound appreciation for the prequels in light of certain movies has been a delicious experience.

23. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Sorry to learn of your disappointment but I share your joy at the rise in prequel appreciation. These movies were slandered from out of the gate by grievance peddlers and Lucas haters within the filmmaking community who ate it up. They are so good compared to what people say, and in spite of genuine weaknesses I won't deny--it heartens me to see more people catching onto this and shedding the "coolness signalling" that attached itself to prequel hate back in the day.

24. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I once saw a comment on a non-English question-and-answer website that said that criticising the prequels had already become a "politically correct" thing to do in American culture :rolleyes:, which I thought was an excellent analogy and speaks of foreign viewers are able to recognise unfair cultural criticism of the prequels more clearly.

25. Siara_Skywalker22

Siara_Skywalker22 Jedi Padawan

Feb 4, 2020
    The prequels are the best Star Wars movies. There are 2 things George Lucas meant to put in there that people don’t get the hidden meanings of. Like the midichlorians. They were meant to show corruption in the Jedi Order. They (all Jedi except Qui Gon) where following the will of the people, not the force. Even a completely corrupt Sith like Palpatine can see this “Your arrogance blinds you” Palapatine to Yoda, revenge of the Sith. The second thing is that Hayden Christensen played Anakin perfectly. It’s hard to explain but this youtube Video does a great job:
    I also love revenge of the Sith because the good guys DON’T win. And that’s not always how it works.