main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    this Kenobi rumor just confirmed my belief in fandom and how horrible it really is.

Bor Mullet and indydefense like this.
  2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Honest question - do you think fandom caused KK to change her mind about greenlighting a script and pause operations on a project that's been in development for 4 years?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    No not really, she probaly saw it needed some changes like not to rehash the mandalorian and olny change some small thing but the main plot of the script will still follow and they will still release in 2021 only a few months delayed. I think there many factors to this porject one being KK, the other being Iger. And Iger might want a movie out of this and it cause some issues behind the scenes.

4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Honestly okay with them taking their time. To me, it says they are learning from their mistakes. Before I go further let me say I did enjoy Solo. However, for anyone outside of the Star Wars fandom, a lot of Solo doesn't make sense because it relies on the viewer's knowledge of Star Wars movies past and books past. Disney can not afford to make the same mistakes with Obi-Wan Kenobi. As much as I want this show/whatever they do with it tomorrow. I'd rather they take their time and make sure they have a well-rounded story worth telling than a story I am going to have to spend hours arguing with everyone about how they all find it terrible and I'm just incredibly bias because Obi-Wan's my favorite character.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I don’t know that the fandom caused anything

but if a poor script was turned in then I don’t see the problem with going with someone else, even if it means a delay of some sorts.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Maybe, just maybe, the delay is about making sure it’s a quality show, rather than just rushing it out the door...

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I know this will come as a shock to many of you, but Kathleen Kennedy neither walks on water, or warms herself by burning copies of your favorite SW films, while cackling maniacally in the night.

This news can be "spun" either way, and all we can do is wait it out, and hope for the best. So, let's drop the open antagonism towards any post that doesn't share our particular bias.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s a bit of a false equivalency, IMO. Very few people laud Kennedy for being flawless. The most they (and I) say is that she seems to value quality, and makes sometimes harsh decisions to try to maintain that.

On the other hand, legions of people here demonize her, blame her for every decision they don’t like, give her zero credit for things they do like, and call for her firing on a daily basis.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    So, the false equivalency is the hyperbolic reference to her walking on water but not the equally hyperbolic example of her burning beloved Star Wars books for warmth. Got it.

Bor Mullet and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No, the false equivalency is not about that comically hyperbolic statement. Nothing wrong with that.

The false equivalency is the fiction that there’s an equal number of people condemning Kennedy/ calling for her to be fired, as there are praising her as an amazing and nearly flawless President. There are very few people doing the latter, and tons of people here doing the former. And there’s no reason to hyperbolize their statements. They are constantly, incessantly saying that she’s ruined Star Wars and shouting for her to be fired.

Point is that one extreme “side” of this coin is clearly a problem for civil conversation, while people who think Kennedy can do no wrong are clearly not. There are like two or three people here who represent that latter group, and they don’t carry pitchforks.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, fortunately I didn't say that. I didn't equate any numbers. I gave a warning to break up the pointless back and forth between the "camps". We don't have enough information to make a judgement about this one way or the other. But, that wasn't stopping posters, including yourself, from making comments that suggest that there's only one way to look at this news. Some people trust the current decision making at LFL, and others don't. Depending on where one stands on that issue is going to shape their bias with news like this. Now let's move on.

Bor Mullet, 2Cleva and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  12. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I've run into a number of people here and on Twitter who carry pitchforks for Kennedy. And for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would still be a strong supporter of her. Disney era SW has been massively weak in regards to storytelling. It has been rife with production problems.

And what is wrong with arguing that an executive should be fired? The very idea that there's something wrong with feeling that way, or thinking it logically sensisible, reveals the pitchfork some have for the position.

There does seem to be a consensus in a previously split fandom, and that consensus is that the ST was poorly, even barely, planned. This consensus suggests the need for new leadership, not additional patience.

The definition of madness is to stay on the same path once you understand it's a poor one.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    The idea being that we don't know whether the behind the scenes drama is Kennedy's fault.

One way to look at it is that Kennedy is course correcting when she sees a problem, and is improving the final result. Another way to look at it is that Kennedy made poor choices in the first place, and is constantly having to step in, with varying results.

We don't really know which it is, and some people are willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, where others aren't.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Bor Mullet and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  14. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    You have a point when you say that we can't know for certain what all the facts are, but we do seem to know enough to be able form reasonable opinions so far. Science and rational thought proceed off of the evidence available to us, they proceed off of probabilities not certainties, and the evidence we do have suggests a number of significant issues: 1) the decision not to plan the end of one of biggest filmic sagas of all-time, and 2) on-going production troubles that have cost Disney money and coherent narratives.

When we leave the house to drive to work everyday, we're never 100% certain that we'll get to work safely, and yet probability and practicality suggest we move on.

But I do hear what you're saying. I just think we have sufficient evidence to have a reasonable opinion on KK. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2020
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, I agree. I can just see the other side of the argument. My own feelings are in line with what Peter Sciretta tweeted a couple of days ago.

@PeterSciretta
    "Development in Hollywood is usually rough. That said, the amount of problems, restarts, reshoots, hiring and firings on Lucasfilm projects is not normal. I can’t wait until there is a tell all book on these years."

16. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I sympathise with the idea that Kennedy has made many out of the ordinary mistakes during her course as producer of these films. That being said, I don't think we can ascribe this current situation a being part of that trend of mistakes until we have more information, The THR article made it seem like it was definitely a mistake in her foresight, while Ewan has suggested that it's been somewhat sensationalised.

17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I really have no idea how Star Wars will go as an IP from here, but for me the future is looking troublesome, to say the least.

I got excited with the Mandalorian and I have been optimistic for Star Wars television since then, but TROS reminded me how bad Star Wars can be, if not under the right people. And the Kenobi news did not help one bit. In fact, I hate the Kenobi news. I was looking forward to go back to loving Star Wars progressively more, with The Clone Wars in February and then the Mandalorian and Kenobi in the fall, but now it seems we are only getting 2 of these things. I don't really know what to expect from the Cassian Andor show, and when it comes to movies, oh boy, the fear is now real. Until 2017 (or arguably 2015) there had not been the prerequisite of a bad Star Wars movie for me. And now it appears that a Star Wars movie can actually be bad. So, that gives me all kinds of worries about the future of my favorite fictional universe.

MrDarth0 and 2Cleva like this.
  18. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    This is how I've felt for a couple of years and it keeps getting reinforced. I hoped The Mandalorian was the new norm and now it just feels fluky for LFL.

I'm really looking forward to some official words from Disney/LFL on Star Wars. Ewan shouldn't be the only one speaking out. Reminds me of Ron Howard the only one talking about Solo after it released.

19. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    To be fair the series was never set for fall, and it probably isn't cancelled.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I never said it is cancelled, the context was OBVIOUSLY the year of 2020 in my post. And while it wasn't "officially" set to premiere in the fall, everyone was expecting it to do exactly that.

Also, having more than a year between announcing it and the premiere, would seem ridiculously crazy to everyone prior to the delay announcement. Of course it's easy for people to say now "well it wasn't going to come out in the fall anyway" in their need to justify everything and anything Disney, but we all knew it was probably going to come out this fall. And we know that Disney messed up. Again. Disney messing up with Star Wars content is the pattern now, not the outlier.

ami-padme and 2Cleva like this.
  21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Chill.

I thought it was common knowledge, even before this delay, that it was scheduled for 2021 at the earliest. It's not uncommon for things to be in production for over a year after they are announced.

I'm going to ignore the jibe about excusing for Disney since I made my thoughts known in this very thread already about this topic, not to mention that we've been told to stop such back and forths.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  22. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    She rejected a lot of great concepts for episode 9 just to keep it "save" and boring with JJ.
    The only thing they cared about was bringing back Palps because they thought he will bring all the bud's in the seats.

Now another uneven Production with her as head of Lucasfilm.
    How can People still defend her?

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  23. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
  24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    No. SWT is very willing to do anything he needs to get clicks. He jumped straight to the recent "JJ script" crap too.

Darth Nerdling and EHT like this.
  25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Development of the ST was a mess as was Rogue One and Solo and apparently the Resistance TV show was considered ho-hum by a lot of people, (most people? I didn't watch it), and now we have this bump in the road with Kenobi, so it's hard for me to shake the feeling that the franchise is not in good hands.

I had a lot of fun watching The Mandalorian but one season of a TV show doesn't magically make me forget about all the other problems Disney has had with every single Star Wars movie they've produced.

I won't be surprised if ultimately the ST represents the level of quality we should expect from future Star Wars movies. Some won't have a problem with that but I do.

Like Peter Sciretta said making a Star Wars film should not be this difficult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.