main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    yeah i know Geoerge loved his legends source material so mutch fans demanded his head on a platter. what KK does with Star wars is not so different.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    It's quite different. Lucas had his own unique creative vision, and he also allowed a great number of EU stories to be part of canon.

Kennedy has no creative vision and also seems ignorant of the great wealth of stories that Lucas allowed to exist as part of his world.

3. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Depends which one, maybe? I'd assume some other "known" Jedi survived, and there does seem to be a little bit of re-introducing Legends characters.

So I'd say "yes, good idea" to Jedi like Quinlan Vos, K'krukh.

I'd say "no" to well known (in the general public's eyes) Jedi.

A big massive "no" to Mace Windu or Jedi Council members.

Doompup and StardustSoldier like this.
  4. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    I never said SW couldnt be complex or compelling. I believe the opposite. hence Kirshner's ESB. But with Trek you have to have political and ideological subtext in almost every episode. SW has political subtext in a completely different way. I love both lol.

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    And then he steamrolled them when they became inconvenient for them. Not only that, but you seem to be glossing over the downside of the "great wealth of stories that Lucas allowed to exist as part of his world", being the huge disparity between the best and worst stories in Legends. For every TTT, you had a Glove of Darth Vader or a Crystal Star. I agree that the current novels we've been getting aren't as varied as the old Legends stuff, but it's all of a very similar level of quality, and we can be reasonably certain that nothing's going to just be bulldozed over because the guy with sole control decided to do something different.

6. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    There’s also reports which are not confirmed that Kevin Feige might take over for Lucasfilm.

I don’t trust we got this covered but there are reports coming from other sites.

Anyways, I hope the new script for the Obi Wan tv show is worth it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    George Lucas pulled a bunch of stuff from the EU...including his original villain for episode 7, Darth Talon.

8. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Because he liked the design, not because he was incredibly enamored by her rich backstory. He also wanted to shoehorn Talon into a Darth Maul game despite the era differences. And have we all forgotten the whole Korriban / Morriban thing?

9. Milla Sayven

Milla Sayven Jedi Padawan

Jan 4, 2017
    I think the appearance of Tusken Jedi A’Sharad Hett would be essential

DannyD likes this.
  10. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Filoni is producer on Resistance and Favreau has producer experience aplenty. Both of them completely replacing Kennedy I dunno about, but having them run the show side of things entirely is fine by me.

Was that actually a thing? From what I can tell, Lucas' treatment for EP 7 had a 'Jedi Killer' who eventually morphed into Kylo Ren and some vague 'Uber' dark side head honcho.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Hmm... I could actually see that. Although, I guess my main issue there would be that I really enjoy both of them in the director's / showrunner's chair, and wouldn't want them creatively limited.

12. Skibisky

Skibisky Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2019
    I don't think a producer should have a creative vision, Lucas was a unique situation.

I find the sequel trilogy whatever the faults more interesting creatively than anything Feige has put out, the MCU flicks are all forgotten two month after release but you still have people debating Last Jedi.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Yeah, I still read the Legends novels and will take them any given day over the new EU.
    Also, the Legends DID get bulldozed over, because the company that the guy with sole control sold the rights to, decided to do something different.
    So, can't get worse than that really.

Star Wars fandom may have forgotten the MCU flicks but there is an MCU fandom that has forgotten TLJ probably a day after it was released, and they still talk about the entire MCU catalog. That's not really an argument in favor of the ST, and quite frankly I don't even see how the total story of the ST is even remotely close in quality to the MCU in terms of story telling, planning, cohesion and consistency.

(more) On topic, I can't even express how disappointed I am with the whole Kenobi situation. I find it amazing that this is apparently a project that has been in the works for years, even at a very early stage, and somehow they managed to put it on the shelf for the time being. It has only been a couple of months since the announcement, I mean wow. This looks so bad.

I hope the Filoni rumor is true. His Mandalorian episode was among my favorites and I also love his work from the animated shows. That will make me even more excited about Kenobi in the long run, as disappointed as I am now.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  14. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The point is that Star Wars has a ton of source material that can be used as much as LFL likes. And instead of using it as a resource, Kennedy says there is no source material to pull from.

Even the bad Legends could be improved and revised for TV and film. For example, Triclops "morphed" lol into Palpatine's son for RoS.

wobbits and Darth Nobunaga like this.
  15. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    The report (the Variety article linked in that reddit post) makes no mention that either Feloni or Yost are being "looked at". It simply threw their names out as suggested potentials. It was pure editorial flare.

RetropME, BigAl6ft6 and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    But... you just...

[​IMG]

17. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    That is never going to happen.

18. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Follow up question, if another Jedi pays Kenobi a visit doesn't that mean that Jedi will have to die?

DannyD likes this.
  19. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I'd be cool with Filoni in a writing capacity. An Obi-Wan thing by definition's probably going to be more lore-heavy, spiritual, yadda yadda, and Dave has a real handle on that type of thing. Along with the authority factor, probably the single biggest voice in Star Wars bar George, that's a nice thing to factor in for something as big a deal as Obi-Wan.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Alright, we the mods think it's high time everybody took a big step back before things devolve further into mindless hysterics. Obviously there's a lot of baggage surrounding this particular project, and obviously everyone has very strong feelings about it, but we're long past the point of constructive discussion, and so this thread is going to take a break.

We understand there's a lot of issues, some related, some not, that have seemed to tipped the scales into outright fury, but there is a time and a place, and this is not it. ***This is the thread to talk about the upcoming TV show about Obi-Wan Kenobi and its developments.*** It is NOT the thread to bash Kathleen Kennedy or any other LucasFilm executives, nor for that matter placing execs on pedestals at the expense of certain other execs. It is NOT the thread to complain about the directions LFL has gone in over the past seven years. It is NOT the thread to debate perceived good or bad integrations of screen canon and printed canon.

Now obviously there is some BTS drama regarding this series. Naturally people are going to want to discuss that, and that's fine. What we don't want to see anymore are proclamations of doom and gloom, woe and misery, etc. At the end of the day, though we are all passionate fans, this is just a TV show. Your life will not end if it never comes to pass. It is also not owed to you, nor is it required to meet any your expectations. It is a piece of art being put together by a group of passionate professionals with the eventual goal of entertainment for the masses. They don't have to make this series, but they are, because despite thoughts of the contrary, they do care about pleasing this diverse fanbase and delivering top quality products.

So take a break. Spend time with your families and your action figures. Watch some existing shows, or maybe some old Lakers games considering yesterday's tragedy. When we're satisfied the message has gotten through, or if some actual 100% verified news about the series drops, we'll reopen the thread.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Okay we're back. Keep in mind, going forward we're going to be a lot less tolerant of off topic discussions and tangents into the state of LucasFilm and its executives.

22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

This is not addressed to anyone, I just thought it is very fitting xD

When we should expect news for the Kenobi show? Are they actively searching for new writers?

23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think you won't hear a thing until Making Star Wars takes spy shots of the sets.

They will be tight lipped.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm sure McGregor is going to be peppered with questions throughout the promo tour for Birds of Prey, he may have a more refined response by the end as opposed to the "Gotcha journalism!" of being asked on the red carpet right after he landed in town.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  25. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Hmmm... If what Tarkin says to Vader in ANH is true (you're the last), I guess so. In fact, I'd like what he says to be true rather than the audience going "nah, he knows nothing".

So yeah, I think they have to die. Old age is fine. This might present a dramatic, sad moment for Obi-Wan, realising he/Luke/Leia are the only ones left. But positively, his distress call diversion in ROTS was met with some success.