main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The ST: What Would You Change/Revise?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EzraSnoke, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    - I would allude to a greater power behind Snoke in TFA or TLJ. Just something like Vos' "You know who I work for and you know what he'll expect" in Solo. I wouldn't reveal that the power is Palpatine because I like the sort of Wizard of Oz/man behind the curtain reveal he gets in TROS. I would just set it up a little more. Something like this would have had us all speculating endlessly for years and made it feel a little more cohesive.

- World building is the ST's greatest weakness. I would have had more interesting settings and explain the state of the galaxy a little more.

- Han, Luke and Leia really should have been on screen together at some point. I get that this would have been hard to do given where Luke's story is (and I wouldn't change anything about that) but still... somehow this should have happened. It doesn't ruin the ST for me at all but it's a huge missed opportunity. Maybe have them together at the end even though it wouldn't really make sense with Han. I don't know but they should have made it work.

- More unique designs. I get the love of the OT but overall I would have liked to have seen some more uniqueness in the ST. There's a few things that I love like the ship Finn and DJ steal on Canto Bight but not nearly enough.

- MAKE FINN A GODDAMN JEDI! They didn't commit to Finn being Force sensitive early enough and thus it's left sort of hanging. I'm certainly glad that he's Force sensitive but I would've liked to see him actually become a Jedi like Rey. It would of given us a more unique journey for our heroes in the ST. Finn, Rey and Ben teaming up against Palpatine would have been awesome to see.

Overall I love the ST but like the PT I think with just a few tweaks it could have been even better. The OT remains the only pretty much perfect trilogy.

2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

Quoted from Litforums Episode IX topic!

Thoughts?

Gharlane likes this.
  3. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Where is the full script?

dogprivilege likes this.
  4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Someone shared in the Litboards Episode IX topic if you PM him he will send it to you. I got it elsewhere but can't share my copy sadly. So you should be able to find it via the aforementioned contact "darthcaedus1138" is the TFN username.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  6. Dino-Mario

Dino-Mario Jedi Padawan

Aug 26, 2019
    No sharp teeth on Human Dark Side visions. Looks more goofy than scary.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I've read the script. It's not good. We were lucky to dodge the Trevorrow bullet. [face_sick]

8. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I’m curious about this because I’ve seen multiple people say the same thing but from the summary I read it sounds almost exactly like what most people were expecting after where TLJ left off. Is that because the details aren’t executed well in a way that doesn’t come through in just a summary or is that because people don’t like where the ST was after 2 movies?

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't know what other people were expecting but this wasn't it for me. The three heroes are split up again for the majority of the story with Poe and Rey looking to find Mortis and Finn and Rose trying to activate an ancient communication device in the Jedi Temple to rally forces against the First Order. Having them separated for the majority of TLJ and then again in this story is a big mark against it. Especially Finn and Rey who I think most people wanted to see together. It's obvious they were trying to recapture the Han and Leia dynamic with Rey and Poe on there own adventure but with no build up at all it just doesn't work.

It's also just a poorly written screenplay. The dialogue is pretty atrocious and there are just random things like Hux trying to use the Force that just make no sense and go nowhere. The references are really forced like Mandalorian Brutetroopers who work for the First Order for some reason that's never explained. A lot of it feels like it was just thrown in there because... hey that's cool! The worst wink wink reference of them all being Rey, Finn and Rose ending the story on a ranch which is clearly meant to be a stand-in for Skywalker Ranch with Force sensitive children on a planet called... Modesta. That's right Modesta. Get it? George was born in Modesto! They just changed one letter! Genius! [face_plain]

Kylo Ren's role is largely forgettable. He seeks out Mortis because he thinks it has some ultimate power that he can acquire. This leads him to the master of Palpatine's master (because that makes sense) who teaches him the ability to drain the Force energy out of beings. It's mostly a dark side version of Degobah complete with Kylo fighting Vader (expect without any of the symbolism of the ESB cave scene.) His redemption is so rushed and poorly executed it's laughable. He drains Rey of her Force energy then his mother calls out to him by saying his name and with that he just gives up and gives Rey back her Force energy and dies. Seriously, it's that bad.

Overall the script feels like it wasn't written by a professional screenwriter but a fan in his spare time. Maybe that's due to the fact that it was an early draft and maybe things would have been ironed out in latter rewrites but given Trevorrow's previous work I'm not convinced it would have made much of a difference. I'm glad they let him go and went a different direction.

That said I don't hate everything about the script. Finn's role mostly works really well (even if I disagree about splitting the trio up) and Rose has a much bigger part which is nice see. Mortis wasn't used well at all but it was interesting at least that the idea to use it was there. And of course having Coruscant be such an integral part was a cool idea.

cratylus likes this.
  10. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    The Jedi Temple was destroyed. Is the old Jedi Temple in the ct script?

11. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    yub it is, the one turned into the Imperial Palace

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    There are a few good ideas in Trevorrow's concept art and from the script but as a whole it would not have worked so I can see why he was let go after not revising it enough or whatever.....whether you like TROS or not it's definitely more acceptable than Duel of the Fates so I for one am glad JJ was able to start and end the ST trilogy just a petty we didn't get the middle as well [face_not_talking]

13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I would just turn the Kylo Ren comics and the Leia novel into movies. I would prefer them as movies compared with the new films. I mean, they have their flaws. But they are just more interesting to me.

I enjoyed TFA as a movie, but the Reylo thing was too icky for me.

That’s just me. I think I can accept a de-powered Luke. I mean, he may not be as interesting as his EU counterpArt, but at lest he uses nonviolence at the end of TLJ. At least he gets Rey off the island in TROS. But I think Leia suffered in the new trilogy. They did her wrong the way Lucas did Yoda wrong in the prequels, now that I think about it.

14. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    I'm not concerned with dialog or small-picture ideas - like exactly how the final fight between Rey and Kylo go. That stuff would have either been fixed or changed.

As for big picture beats, it's a billion times better and doesn't come across as an apology and promise to never upset a fan again.

Gharlane likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree. I don't think TROS is an apology to fans but beyond that there isn't a single big picture point in this entire script. It's just a fetch quest for some vague power that ultimately leads to nothing. Mortis is nothing more than a location to have the final duel. Again the only thing vaguely interesting about the story is Finn's part in it but it comes at the expense of having any meaningful interactions with Rey and Poe. And like I said given Trevorrow's track record I'm definitely not convinced the other things would have been ironed out.

16. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    No big picture points? Except who Rey is. Kylo killed her parents. There's an eternal Sith master. Luke has a real role.

It totally leans into TLJ and not away, which TROS totally did.

Gharlane and Darth PJ like this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That was my initial review. It is far, far more of an actual sequel to what TLJ was trying to set up. It happens to be a terrible sequel but its goals were at least to be a sequel.

18. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    EDIT

I re-read your post and realized I read it wrong.

I'm in agreement, but I think it could have been a good story.

Why did you find it terrible?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    In terms of its storytelling choices in a vacuum. Things that have no bearing on its quality as a more effective sequel to TLJ but simply are terrible writing mistakes, such as splitting up the leads... again. Filmmaking choices, rather than any specific 1:1 TLJ/Sequel issues.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  21. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Change Poe to Benicio del Toro

Change Finn to Denzel Washington

Change Luke to Brad Pitt

Change Princess Leia to Halle Berry

Change Rey to Olivia Wilde

Change Kylo Ren to Penelope Cruz

Have Snoke be played by Sean Connery

Darth Smurf likes this.
  22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    How about C3PO to Donald Trump

cratylus likes this.
  23. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Not a bad decision.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    For a moment I liked the old speculation that Palpatine's return would be very secret, known only to Kylo Ren (searching for the source of Snoke's power) and the resistance (who learn about about it from the spy, i.e. Hux) but then after re-thinking it made more sense to have it announced in the opening crawl, to bring us right up to the moment when he reveals himself to the galaxy.

I'd be more in favor of tweaks than an overhaul. If there had to be an overhaul I would say the only interest I'd have would be in the original GL treatments. Apart from those something along the lines of what we got would be best. Tweaks I might like would be some changes in Rose's character, more realistic aliens on Canto Bight, a few extra lines here and there.

I'd have to think about it, really, to put it all out there. Make Holdo's kamikaze run a sublight ram attack on the Supremacy. Add a line about how a spy is suspected of planting a homing device on teh flagship; some of the crew suspect Finn but he is exonerated. Fear of a spy leads Holdo to keep quiet about the actual plan.

Maybe a line about how the SK base causes hyperspace ripples throughout the galaxy whenever it fires. I don't know, I'm too tired to do this right now.

25. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    I would have made Akbar a more important role. Imagine how cool it would be to have Akbar alongside Han shooting troops in starkiller base. Akbar maneuver. F that holdo nonsense. Akbar going down with his ship. Reuse the exact same shot as his ship alters direction in Rotj.