main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Whoa. First, that's not a stupid idea at all. Not only are you absolutely entitled to have your own personality, but we ALL have our own unique personality whether we want to or not. Your family, and especially your mother from what I see here, is way, way out of line.

Second, you are NOT under any obligation whatsoever to keep a toxic person, or multiple toxic persons, in your life simply because they are related to you. While you can't choose the person that gives birth to you, you are well within your rights to choose who you surround yourself with and who you exclude from your life. If someone is being toxic like that, cut them loose. Yes, it may feel difficult to cut a parent out of your life, but if they won't change their ways (and toxic people rarely do), you'll be much better off in the long run by eliminating them from your circle. Just cut them out completely and enjoy the resulting peace.

I may soon be cutting my father out of my life that way. I'm hoping at the moment that physically distancing myself from him by living in the next town instead of in his house will help heal our relationship (and it seems to maybe be working so far), but if it doesn't, I will not hesitate to cut off contact with him.

Kahara and mavjade like this.
  2. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    @DarthIshtar people react differently to the same situation and as such you'll have some that have a meltdown and others seem stoic and everything inbetween. Dany once picked TE, my husband, up from work and on the way home one of the headlights on her car went out and a cop pulled her over and acted very aggressively towards them. TE shut down and just stared sightlessly ahead. The cop yelled at her when she criticized the fact that he had been parked in the road in a blind spot for that lane of traffic, how he did his turn to pull her over and the fact that her license and registration were out of state ones and according to Dany, pulled his gun on her for something that she said; I think it was about the fact that he hadn't been parked safely and could have caused an accident with how he was parked and when he did a U Turn to pull her over.

TE didn't snap out of it until after the cop left and to this day doesn't remember the incident beyond the fact that they were pulled over.

My friend Bryg and her brother Etan were in a car accident. Bryg was in tears, she had been driving and had seen the car pull out, knew that it was going to hit them and acted the best that she could so the car hit the back right passenger door; the worst part: the car didn't belong to her but a friend who was letting Bryg use it until further notice and the owner had recently just lost her brother in a car accident.

Etan was basically 'I was just in a car accident and the plushy on my shoulder didn't move. That's so cool.' Yes, he had a plushy of an Internet Comic Character 'Bun-Bun the Rabbit' on his shoulder and until the tow truck arrived now and then would talk about it and just seemed in awe that Bun-Bun stayed on his shoulder during the whole thing. But he might have been in shock and didn't want to think about the accident or how close he had been to getting seriously hurt; I know that I was when I saw the shattered glass in the back seat and thinking about how I normally would have asked Bryg to spend time with her and would have gone over to her house after the late night class but for whatever reason didn't think to ask to come and visit until it was too late and when I did go and stay the night I sat behind the front seat passenger so I couldn't help but think of how close I had come to getting hurt.

*reads about the green mohawk, smiles maliciously and in my best Sidious impression* @Briannakin do it!.

Kahara likes this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I love my family, but we rarely talk or see each other. The last time I saw a sibling was 2014. We had a great time together. My aunt by marriage said she had never understood my family. We never attend family reunions, rarely talk to each other, but we like pretty much everybody in our family. She doesn't understand how people that love each other never get together. Maybe that is why we like each other...we are never together to piss each other off.

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd bet every dollar I'm worth that that is the exact reason why.

5. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Oh I don't know @Jedi_Lover, we don't interact much with my MIL's side of the family, unless it's her half sister, and there's hard feelings between some members of the family. Mostly it's Dany from when she lived with some of them back ten-eleven years ago. Certain family members were very abusive towards her and pulled a lot of crap to the point that she has plans in place to avoid them like the plague if they come to visit.

WARNING: The spoiler tag contains mentions of physical abuse and sexual assault/abuse

Her Grandmother physically assaulted her and once almost seriously injured Dany when Dany was walking down into the basement to do laundry with her dirty clothes by grabbing Dany's braid and yanking her head back. Her grandmother would walk in on her while she was naked/getting dressed and tell Dany's male cousins of all ages that they could just walk into Dany's room whenever they wanted and saw her in various stages of undress. Her grandmother bragged about knowing to the day one of her grandchildren was conceived because she walked in on the child in question parents. She demeaned Dany after she was sexually assaulted and couldn't remember what happened. tried to have Dany get an abortion by tricking her into going to a clinic without telling her what kind of clinic it was and proudly proclaimed that she was going to tell the child that she was going to tell them that they were a product of rape before they were old enough to understand what that meant etc.

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    We didn't have any abuse in my family, but we all got separated at some point. My father joined the Navy when he was 17 and never returned to live at home. I joined the Army at 17 and never went back to live at home. Three of my older siblings are much older than me and moved out of the house when I was very young. I moved out of the house when my baby brother was young. I guess because we all separated on good terms that might make the difference.

I am sorry to hear about all of this abuse your families have endured.

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I have a brother who was very difficult to deal with growing up at times and I’ve made lots of effort to grow past that. So when last year, I rearranged my schedule to spend time with him and he planned to blow me off, I told him it felt like a slap in the face. Since then, he calls me on Sunday afternoons to have a relationship with me and it’s very kind. The sister who caused me the most frequent trouble isn’t very consistent, but makes her kids come to me when they want to see Star Wars or read Harry Potter. The one I still don’t know what to do with is the one who expresses great confidence in me, when not yelling at me for considering toxic relationships to be deal-breakers.

8. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    For the most part I do get along with my family and love them dearly and there are some that I don't see often because of where we live, schedules and ease of transportation. And it can be hard to arrange getting together when you have to work around four or five work schedules and than travel at least two hours to see each other so that I understand; especially if your scattered all over the place.

Kahara likes this.
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    [:D] to everyone

Yeeessss! Do it! As long as it won't tick off your brother, and it sounds like it won't. That's hard having it on the anniversary of your dad's death, it doesn't matter how long it's been.

And on the subject of calling parental figures, my parents and I have a schedule for calling, every Sunday evening. They started it when my brother was in college and it's stuck. I can obviously call any other time, but that's our schedule and it keeps everyone happy. No worries about not calling often enough. And my mom even manages to not ask me if I'm pregnant yet every week even though I'm sure she wants to. :p

Oh wow. I'm sure that was quite painful, but also what a lovely thing to get. If you can afford to do so, maybe buy something that reminds you of her with the money?

Kahara, Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm sorry to hear so many of us have not-so-great family histories. I'm personally not one to detail the long history of the stuff I've experienced, especially on the internet, but life is a lot better now.

Yes, I won't do anything too extreme, but my brother won't care if I empower myself to get through this. He has already admitted he's going to need plenty of strong drinks through the planning process (and his twin brother possibly hates his family as much as I do, so we've already vowed to protect each other!).

On other topics, the weather was so nice today, I managed to go on an extra long walk, so I'm feeling mentally so much better, but my body is so sore. However, I have tentative plans to hang out with new friends tomorrow, pretty much all day Wednesday, and Thursday evening, so my boring week potentially might be a ton of fun. One of my friends is also new to town and just getting used to living here, so we have plans to go exploring together!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Kahara, Lady_Misty and DarthIshtar like this.
  11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That kind of exploring is so much fun. When my family moved to Boston, we first went to every tourist place. It really wasn’t until four years later that I had friends who got me wandering around and finding my own favorite places.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    So I went to the dentist for a painful tooth. I knew it was going to cost me. I am at the age when you don't get fillings...you get crowns. Yep, another crown and another $600 and that is with insurance paying 35%. :rolleyes: I hate all the drilling to get the tooth ready for the crown. I asked for nitric oxide (laughing gas) and I was told it would be an extra $35! Best $35 I ever spent. I was hyperventilating that stuff.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’ve never had nitrous oxide, but can’t think of it without picturing Steve Martin’s character in Little Shop of Horrors. Sorry you had to have the procedure, but glad they had that option for you.

14. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    If I remember correctly the dentist my Mom goes to for one of his procedures he offers the patient a sleep mask and noise cancelling headphones that play white noise/soothing sounds. I never went to him but I think Kathy chose this option for getting braces.

Kahara and DarthIshtar like this.
  15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My favorite dentist had a TV in the ceiling. I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns.

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I was so relaxed with that laughing gas. I remember looking up at the light above me as I sat in the chair. I had the dentist and assistant looming over me with their masks and I thought, 'I wonder if this is what alien abductees feel like when getting probed.' lol! I have no idea where that thought came from. I think it was because everything seemed otherworldly. I was calm and it was like I put on the VR headset and was doing a dentist simulation.

I do think the dentist gave me more novocaine than I have ever had before because I couldn't feel my face when I left the office.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    When I had LASIK, they gave me a triple dose of Valium so I could be fine with the scary surgery happening to my eye. My mom videotaped everything, including me being very high. My sister was in a health class and took the video in so they could learn about the pretty new eye surgery technique. She didn’t skip past the part with me giggling and asking stupid questions and I had several friends in that class. I didn’t know about any of this until I came home from a week in New York and found my friends telling me how funny I was on sedatives.

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is funny. My boys were like that when they got their wisdom teeth removed. My husband practically had to carry them to the car after their procedure. They have no memory from the time they got to the dentist and up to an hour after their surgery. I made sure to take videos of them acting stupid. The next time they say, "Okay Boomer" to me, maybe I will post those videos. :p

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I've always been pretty chill at the dentist, so when I got my wisdom teeth pulled, they just shot up my mouth with a bunch of Novocaine. So I was completely conscious the whole time, it just didn't hurt. Until the Novocaine wore off about halfway home. Then it hurt like a Sith.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My sister opted for being knocked out and forgot to not eat anything beforehand. She got Novocain and hated being awake. I thought, “well, I’m not an idiot. I’ll get knocked out and not make her mistake.” My pre-surgery schedule was flawless. I had breakfast at my favorite restaurant an hour before the cutoff. I arrived on time. Only thing was, I don’t have great veins. They tried three times in each arm to put in the IV. On try #6, they ruptured a vein and finally decided to put it in the back of my hand. (This is now where most doctors put it in my case.) They then waited a few minutes and said “well, that should be enough. Let us knowing you have any discomfort.” I had my wisdom teeth extracted with less anesthetic than Novocain and was signaling wildly with my free hand while trying to shout that they hadn’t numbed me. They still charged me the $300 for knocking me out.

It’s a very good thing I left for a year and a half and then moved out of state at that point.

Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.
  21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Two days of thread-killing later, I went to the symphony and then discovered I had time to catch a movie before the theater closed for the night. I’ve been trying to go all week and wanted to see Ep. 9 in theaters one last time, so here I am.

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Sounds like fun, Ish!

Last night I went to see Little Shop of Horrors at an Off-Broadway theater. It had Christian Borle in it as the Dentist and he was fantastic! The whole show was great, but he was definitely the standout. I'd never seen the show and it has a very different ending than the movie.

DarthIshtar likes this.
  23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I saw it off Broadway decades ago. Did they drop vines made of felt fabric down on the audience at the end of the show? They did when I saw it and it made me jump.

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I keep editing reviews for productions of this and have never seen it outside the film.

25. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I've just had one of those days where I've done almost nothing and what little I've done has resulted in injury and destruction. I was cleaning up my spare room/office and finally got around to putting away a pile of stuff that has been sitting on my bookshelf since I moved ([face_blush] in my defence... it was mostly just books, folders and papers anyway, so it was like 90% in the proper place). And it turns out some glass in one of my picture frames did not survive the move ANNNND I cut my hand (not too bad but it could have been worse). Then, I had loaded up my 'wagon' to do my garbage and recycling, and I rolled it into my doorframe and took a chunk out of the wood. It's just cosmetic damage but it's still a hunk.

And then I got on the internet and somehow it's already after 6:30. I feel so unaccomplished.

Also I'm looking for a swimsuit because I might try to get back into swimming and my old swimsuit didn't make the move because it no longer fit. I hate supporting super cheap 'fast' fashion (and amazon in general), but swimsuits can be so darn expensive, especially considering how rarely I swim (though hopefully I'm going to do more). To make it worse, I'm oddly proportioned, tall, and find halter-tops difficult to put on, so that right there narrows down what I can wear. I also am really subconscious about my belly so I gravitate towards more modest swimsuits that ALSO makes it hard. And I also don't want to look like a old lady. Ugh.