main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2020 Deadpool-ish

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jan 7, 2020.

1. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

First saw Jim Lehrer on PBS cause one of the Australian broadcast stations (SBS) must have paid to get their content for us here.

I enjoyed his style of reporting and his interviews also.

RIP.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Nicholas Parsons. 96

actor , broadcaster, absolute legend .

(amazed I'm the first one)

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I heard it on the news earlier but forgot to post it when I came online.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    my dad was a big fan of them

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Muppet writer, most importantly. Love me some Muppets.

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yes. And he slut shamed and gaslit his victim, while also admitting to raping her. The celebration of his life has absolutely disgusted me. No one cares that he’s a rapist, it’s been completely disregarded, because boy was he good at basketball.

It’s honestly been very disillusioning. I get the love from a few certain sources, but not from so many who had no real personal relationship with him. I’m also shocked that I haven’t seen anyone bring up that he was a rapist, that that subject has been effectively silenced, that the usual suspects have been silent as far as I have seen. It’s as if it has been erased. It feels like an outpouring of support for rape and rapists, because that’s what it is.

Ramza, Darth Punk and Darth Guy like this.
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Like I said, I don't think the sentence for rape should be death. But I am also not sad or gonna laud a rapist. I feel sorry for his family and the others on board though.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    He didn’t get a death sentence, or any sentence, or any punishment. He died in an unrelated accident some 17 years later, as people do.

You can stop saying “death sentence” because he didn’t get one.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I am just saying I personally don't wish death on rapists.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Michael Jackson's crimes were much worse and much more numerous (as far as we know) but it still took about 10 years for the mainstream to acknowledge that yeah, he wasn't just an eccentric man-child. Even now there are brigades of fans who say he was framed and cry racism. I'm not optimistic that Bryant will lose his stature with his one (known) case and a victim who doesn't seem to want to speak out again. But he threw ball into basket good.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i agree that the one-sidedness has been very strange (the petition to change the nba logo to kobe wtf?). but i think part of it is that he died with his young daughter, and so people have sort of gone out of their way to not disrespect her memory and to be respectful of the surviving family. kobe's death wasn't the tragedy that people are painting it as, he certainly wasn't the saint he's being made out to be and almost definitely should have gone to prison, but the crash itself very much was a tragedy so i think people have been reluctant to bring up his past. my hope is that people will be able to have a more frank conversation about his problematic legacy after these raw first few days of mourning. i think people are more than the worst thing they ever did, and i think people are capable of redemption. i think kobe was probably looking for that. he gave a lot of time to charity, spent a ton of time with kids, and genuinely seemed to become a more thoughtful person as he got older. but that doesn't mean we can or should just ignore horrible part. that happened, any attempt to look at kobe's life as a whole has to deal with it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    tom spot on af as usual

16. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    If all they wanted was to be respectful, then they could have done it quietly, without the ridiculously over the top outpouring of love from everyone.

It’s not just the media, it’s...well, everyone, from what I can tell. And its not just the support, I expected it from those close to him, but it’s coming very loudly from all directions, and the lack of voices speaking out against it, even those you would expect it from. This is the MeToo era, and all. Kobe’s statement is almost word for word the same non-denial nonsense that can be found in the IMDB thread for sexual predators, and that nonsense was believed by no one and torn to shreds by all.

I can’t imagine how his victim feels about all of this.

I just...expected something at least a little different, something much quieter. Several very good, and still somewhat young (far too young to expect death) NBA players with no known history of such behavior have passed in the last few years with almost no recognition, but I guess they weren’t all time great players. Those players passed with no fanfare, I guess I expected the rapist to pass with only the minimum expected acknowledgement. It's just an undeniable example of what really matters to people.

I think the NBA betrayed itself and its supposed values with its response. It's honestly put me off the NBA to see them champion a rapist so loudly. I don't even want to watch the NBA if this is how the entire NBA feels about it. And, I'm at least a little surprised that so many people who had no connection to him, including younger players who came up well after him, were all so willing and even enthusiastic in getting close to him and offering their support. Apparently none of the younger players were in any way hesitant to associate with him. No one was told not to hang out with the rapist. No one turned their back on him. This all tells me that NOBODY was/is put off by Kobe being a rapist. Nobody, because no one has said a word. There hasn't been even the slightest lack of enthusiasm for support.

I'm just sickened by all of it. You don't have to say he was a rapist, but you don't have to have a state funeral, either.

tom likes this.
  17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Hopefully this one-sidedness balances out over time. One can understand how difficult it must be for victims of crimes like this to come forward with such an ingrained hero worship culture we live in.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well the victim in this case probably signed an agreement not to keep talking about the case when she settled with Bryant. So she can't even speak up now. I'm sure this is a really hard time for her, though.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Alan Harris. Played Bossk in ESB. Article mentions that he had other SW roles as well.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Andy Gill, singer, guitarist, songwriter - Gang of Four.

Band now to be called Gang of Three?

Darth Punk and Ramza like this.
  24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Too bad, she was a good author.