main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, not even McDiarmid can get me excited for the ST.

Although seeing his name brought up again makes me want to watch TPM again, so that's something good that happened today in terms of Star Wars. :p

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Sorry, I can't resist. I'm intrigued and... dare I say a little giddy at the idea that Ian McDiarmid is going to return to Star Wars. :eek:

There I said it!!!! :D

3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    As with many elements of Star Wars admittedly this has me in two minds.

Like most I am emotionally invested in the climax of ROTJ. I've watched them through 1-6 many times, and you need that cathartic and karmic ending to Ep6 to make it worthwhile. It is honestly an epic feeling knowing Luke's family, and by extension the galaxy is saved.

I like the ST, but was already a bit iffy on the Empire still basically existing. It doesn't feel earned.
    Palpatine still existing in some form is a bit perplexing. Like they will have to do it well or it will be a little infuriating. Im optimistic they have some good ideas for him though.

Love that we are getting more of Ian McDiarmid. It could be really interesting to see what he is like under different writers and direction.
    He was awesome under Lucas but I'm genuinely intrigued at what they can do with him. I'm expecting something a little surreal and trippy, some unexplored elements of the spiritual realm.

And of course, if Luke and Anakin play a significant part in the victory it will be much easier to be on board with.

G-FETT likes this.
  4. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Me too, my FIGS friend .. me too. If his appearance in this film ends up leading to more work for him (provided he still wants to work), then all the better, I say. Also - he did such a brilliant job in the PT, that's it sort of nice to see him get the recognition. I'm also all for utterly wicked, unrepentant villains and no one can argue that Palpatine/Sidious/theSenate didn't enjoy his evil machinations (a leaf Kylo Ben could take from the "how to be a villain" book).

Anyway - a glorious day for FIGS! More Ian!!

Darth Smurf, G-FETT and HevyDevy like this.
  5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I gave Ian a bit of love on my personal YouTube channel last night

:D

6. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Oh you just know that the Chosen One defeating him and bringing balance to the force just rankled the hell out of him. The person he groomed to be his ultimate agent of evil turning back to the light and saving his son out of love in the process... as well as bringing the Jedi back, as if to make matters worse!

Now imagine the satisfaction he feels as he works behind the scenes again, just like in the good old days before the Empire, pulling some strings to make the grandson of his creation (so to speak) fall to the dark side... and all the while forcing Luke, that miserable goody-two-shoes Jedi who caused all this to happen in the first place, have his precious new Jedi Order fall flat on it's face and force him to live in exile as a consequence. Imagine Palpatine's laugh faintly in the background next time you watch TLJ and TFA, I'm sure he is liking what he is seeing from his cozy spot in spiritual hell [face_devil].

He perverted the potential and goodness of the Skywalkers for several generations now, ever since he first laid his eyes on the Chosen One. I'm excited to see what he had up his sleeve this time to somehow shape the events of the galaxy again, and what it will take to stop him for good.

7. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Ian McDiarmid is a man with a big heart. He's nothing like Palpatine. But he is a brilliant Shakespearean actor and director with a master's degree in psychology. There's a case to be made that he is the best part of ROTS. I do like how he's more subtle in ROTJ, but his character clearly is having a good time in ROTS. It's hard not to root for him, even if he is Joffrey-turned-Hitler.

9. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Soooooo.... anyone else super weirded out by how 20 years on, we are back to essentially getting what we wanted (MORE IAN!)..

PCCViking likes this.
  10. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I love Ian but...

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't understand what you mean

12. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    I saw TRoS .. and well.... lets just say that at least this thread is still going on .. and on.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So you liked his preformance?

14. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    Disney's answer to WB 's Joker ...

....will be Disney's Palpatine. Origin of the Dark Lord starring Ian Mcdiarmid.

With de-aging vfx.

If Joaquin Phoenix can win a Golden Globe and possibly an Oscar...then Ian Mcdiarmid with a great script and director can also.

Just like how WB's Joker legitimized comic book villain so can Disney's Palpatine legitimizing a sci-if villain.

PCCViking likes this.
  15. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

SateleNovelist11 and Iron_lord like this.
  16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Ian was fine for what he had to do in TROS. I don’t blame him. But the PT remains his finest hour.

17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    He is fantastic, funny, and sweet. Love him.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think the entirety of Star Wars fandom has been collectively in love with him since '83. I've never read a fan saying they didn't adore the man, or his portrayal of the character.

SateleNovelist11 and PCCViking like this.
  19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Absolutely. He has a master's degree in psychology, but he's so humble and nice. He's not arrogant at all, and that's what makes him come off like a trustworthy uncle. I would love to be his niece if I were Scottish. :) My Dad and Mom treated me well in real life, as many of you know, but my uncles were terrible. None of them lived in the same state, of course, but they all verbally abused me for my transition. Ian McDiarmid would be the kind of guy who would not understand my transition, certainly, but he would never verbally abuse me. He would say, "Hey, young lady. You're a good actor, and I think your impressions of Jim Carrey and Heath Ledger are adept." So, yeah. He has good manners, and that's what I respect about him.

20. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I suspect he would. He comes across as being cut from the same cloth as vintage thespians like Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee. They mixed in theatre and film circles for decades and interacted with each other and all types of people. Gay people, straight people, actors who played parts in drag, you name it. I doubt that a transgender person would shock any of them. They are typically very open-minded, non-judgmental and liberal folk.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Awe, thanks. I believe so, as well. Empathy is an asset among actors.

22. Kronin

Kronin Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

Happy Birthday to Ian Mc Diarmid! Star Wars wouldn't be the same without his awesome interpretation and love for the saga! =D=

23. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Can't believe I missed this as he's easily one of my favorite Star Wars actors.

Happy belated wishes to the Lord of the Sith.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  24. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    My stand out actor in the Prequels though that is not say there was no other great performances in there, also my favourite actor in ROTJ, even though I would have preffered Palpatine not to be in TROS it was nice to have to see more Ian so it was worth it in the end.

25. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm sharing this video that I first saw many years ago. You can tell Ian was having a good time portraying Palpatine. Ha ha.