main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Galaxy's Edge Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 14, 2020.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I’ve been on it four times. Three times we were able to take pictures and explore. It’s not massive where you wait- just like a common room area. One time there was a few minutes before they start calling for pilots and whatnot to line up. But it’s generally enough time to see everything.

Quotes got weird here for me so just going to use bold. Thanks for the tip!

Two hours? Not in my experience. They’re very efficient with their reservations. If you have one and show up 5 minutes before, you’re very near if not exactly to the reservation time. Every time I’ve booked at Savi’s I did it during the evening, as the last thing to do. This was particularly useful with the virtual queue. The droids are very fun, but if I had to pick between which, I’d 100% say Savi’s experience tops it all.[/QUOTE]

How long is the experience overall? I want it to feel meaningful and fun but not 2 hours away from everyone else in our group long. 45 min seemed pretty reasonable.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  2. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    How long is the experience overall? I want it to feel meaningful and fun but not 2 hours away from everyone else in our group long. 45 min seemed pretty reasonable.[/QUOTE]

I understand- I try to multi quote on my phone and it’s horrible.

I’ve done sabers twice- they were both right on 45 minutes. It’s very immersive. They act it all out, it’s very engaging and you can buy into it and participate as much as you want. I’ve enjoyed both times. It’s truly special.

3. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
    The only thing for me to do is learn the Disneyland app. With out it I cannot board the Rise of the Resistance ride.

4. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Why does Disney and Lucasfilm STILL refuse to have Finn and Poe Dameron among the characters interacting with guests inside Galaxy's Edge after the release of "The Rise of Skywalker" and after the opening of the "Rise of the Resistance" attraction?

2Cleva likes this.
  5. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Disney/Lucasfilm is stuck with branding characters(Chewie, and Rey, Kylo Ren /Stormtroopers, and, a character from the Black Spire Book) that fans may know and like. Its a shame Poe and Finn aren't getting their own characters walking around the park.
    . I would be open to seeing BB8 and D-O rolling around Galaxy's Edge in the front of the Rise of the Resistance ride. As for Finn and Poe I don't expect seeing them in the future.​

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The rumor I heard is that they're thinking of changing/updating Smuggler's Run to involve The Mandalorian. Obviously, this wouldn't be an overnight change as we know The Mando takes place 5 years after ROTJ and the current "canon" of the land is about half way between TLJ and TROS per Matt Martin which personally doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not going to delve into that now.

For this theme park to grow and evolve, I think it'll have to move away from potentially it's frozen repeat canon day and be more fluid to exist in any point in time in the Star Wars universe to allow others to show up. Maybe 5 years from now, they'll roll it back to The Mando timeline which will allow others to show up. An older Han, Leia, or Luke cast members would be awesome. A younger Ben Solo. They'd have to change Rise of the Resistance too as that wouldn't make sense so I don't think you have to worry about anything changing too drastically, but adding roaming droids and possibly more alien creatures should be happening in the not too distant future.

2Cleva and indydefense like this.
  7. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    This clip is lots of fun. Love the creativity in the community.

8. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    GE came up in another thread and I figured more appropriate to bring it here off this point.

Coruscant or Tatooine/Mos Eisley are both great choices. They already had an Endor set up at Hollywood Studios.

Galaxy Edge was announced in Aug of 2015 - before any of the Disney/LFL Star Wars movies were released. 5 movies, 2 animated series, and 1 live-action series have made it to release (nevermind what has been cancelled) and no one thought to tell the writers/directors to include Batuu? And Batuu basically looks just like Mos Eisley - the Falcon could be right there in Docking Bay 94.

If its true they are remodeling it off The Mandalorian - it still could be Mos Eisley or a world visited in S1 or S2. Nevarro is an easy, logical choice as well.

Jakuu or Takodana could have been Batuu.
    Canto Bright could have been Batuu.
    Pasaana could have been Batuu.
    Wherever Lando and Han first met could have been Batuu.
    Wherever Cassian was first at in RO could have been Batuu.
    Lothal could have been Batuu.
    Nevarro could have been Batuu
    I haven't watched any of Rebellion but I'm sure places there qualify too.

What a miss and a definite outlier for all the other worlds built at Disney and Universal in Orlando.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I have not nor plan on reading Trevorrow's script, but I thought I had heard that Batuu was featured in it and the bounty hunters that appeared in the Galaxy's Edge 5 part comic were going to make an appearance his version of TROS as some point, but I could be wrong.

Also, there is a documentary on Disney+ called Imagineering and in the final episode there is what appears to be a full CGI shot of Batuu. It's beautiful and I've never seen it before. I asked Matt Martin about it but he never responded. Maybe he can't say.

indydefense likes this.
  10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    They both feature in the rides themselves and also in Star Tours so their presence is felt regardless.

Could just be acting controversy risk? What if they can’t find two men who look very much like Issac or Boyega and are worried that casting people and pretending they are them could bring on some complaints of “Oh, you think all black men look the same and think that this guy who looks nothing like Boyega can play him?” Or, “Oh, you think all Hispanic men look alike and think that this guy who looks nothing like Issac can pass off as him?”

It’s not like you will see that kind of social media backlash risk from the actresses playing Rey. “Oh, you think all white women look the same?” isn’t really a thing like that.

Could be something like that.

11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    How not to get your boarding pass.

12. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    So GE was originally based on the OT but Iger got excited about TFA and changed it:

https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/...ally-meant-to-have-an-original-trilogy-theme/

13. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    I'm back from my vacation to Disneyland Resort. It took me two days to reserve separate boarding pass to the Rise of the Resistance ride. I've been lucky in to getting two separate boarding passes back to back in two days. The first time the ride broke down and I did not get to ride it. The second day I managed to get another pass the last day of my vacation. I was in boarding group 89 . I waited until 7:52 pm pst to board the ride. ROTR was everything that I hoped it would be. The special effects were so amazing. " I could feel the force of being pulled by Kylo Ren on the attraction."

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  14. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Last week I forgot to mention that I was on the Smuggler's Run Millennium Falcon ride during my vacation to the Disneyland . I used the "Single Rider's" line to board the Falcon from a different angle. The Falcon has six seats per ride. If the ride does not have enough riders on it. Disney gets the Single Rider's from it own line to full the last remaining seat. I ended up getting the engineer position for the back section of the cabin. The ride was smooth, but a little jerky.

I would highly recommend this ride to anyone who loves Star Wars and the Falcon. I missed out stand by line for this ride. ​

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    BookExogorth likes this.
  15. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  16. OliffWanKenobi

OliffWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    We went to GE:CA last week and it was fantastic. I didn't get to ride RotR but that didn't ruin anything for me. We did Smuggler's Run twice (I did pilot & engineer roles), I get motion sickness and was absolutely fine on this, great fun, my only complaint was we had no time whatsoever to take pictures at the holochess table. We went in Oga's Cantina twice, the Yub Nub was delicious, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the craft beer. We were interrogated by stormtroopers and had a great interaction with Vi Moradi. We tried both blue and green milk, i liked both but blue was the best, and the provision for vegetarian/vegans was far superior to the rest of the park, and unique and delicious. I built a lightsaber, (note it's not remotely the 45 mins stated above, more like 15 minutes), and what a fantastic experience they have created, well worth the money, and the finished saber is great quality. I'd seen so many videos and photos before going but the level of detail still took me by surprise, and goddamn Batuu is beautiful at night.

Lady Mary likes this.
  17. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't see how getting two men to portray Finn and Poe should be a problem. The Disney parks feature actors and actresses portraying Princess Tiana, Doctor Facilier, Princess Jasmine, Aladdin, Mulan and Moana.

By the way, someone had written this article about Galaxy's Edge at Walt Disney World's Hollywood Studio and how it affects the park. It's called "Hollywood Studios Hours: This Isn’t Working" -
    https://www.disneytouristblog.com/hollywood-studios-hours-extended-8am-crowds/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  18. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  19. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    We went yesterday and it was mind-blowing and I feel like every photo I took looks like a promo photo for the place. The girls in our group who are both 5.5 got to hold hands with Rey as they walked around the park and Rey was in character and pretending that she was looking for her friends who she’d been separated from. My son who loves Chewie and BB8 got to see both up close. We rode the Falcon twice thanks to rider swap and the queue up to it allows for so many different viewing angles. Honestly, it was amazing and the kids were so proud that they got the score they did (which wasn’t great. Lol but they don’t know. They were bragging about it all day and we pretended it was a huge score!).

The best part though... we did the boarding pass strategy prior to rope drop and ended up getting an early Rise of the Resistance boarding pass for our group and that ride is so good that grandpa and grandma were talking about it and Star Wars on the drive back to the place we rented in Champion’s Gate. Rise of the Resistance is mind-blowing. The youngest kids on the ride seriously thought they’d left Earth and gone into Space. The animatronics and holograms and story developments and movement and drops are as good as hoped for and the sense of scale and ability to photograph and talk to cast members playing up their roles was fantastic. One especially militant crew member began picking on a teen boy in the boarding group for his clothing and asking what kind of strange clothes he was wearing. When the teen said he was “preparing for rain” the FO guy looked up to the roof and said, “Inside? You’ll find this ship contains no leaks. Now, take that ridiculous thing off because you and your father will be going to your cells for a long time.” Some kids seemed scared during this exchange which kind of made the parents laugh. Then the Resistance busted us out.

The amount of synchronization for this ride is insane. Soooooo many moving parts.

Overall, a great day at Batuu and if you are an out of town traveler who rented a vehicle and has more than one family going you may want to look into a house rental at Champion’s Gate. They have different sized homes to rent for you group and some have themed rooms for the kids. Ours has a Star Wars themed room for the kids that has an R2 built into the wall and an hair hockey table downstairs. Champion’s Gate has the Oasis club water park on its premises and every home rental here has a backyard heated pool enclosed by a lanai that’s well maintained. The drive from here to Disney World has only been 24 minutes. If you’re a golfer the place has a golf course and driving range also.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  20. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    In this video there's a cast member dressed up a Finn and Rey.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  21. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I don’t get why the lightsabers are so expensive there.Plus you can’t make a double bladed one which kinda sucks.

22. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
    Those lightsabers were always that pricey ever since it opened in 2019. I bet the double bladed saber would be more expensive than the regular lightsaber.

23. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I found this cute video of a costumed Rey performer leading kids around the Galaxy's Edge area, hiding from Kylo Ren and the stormtroopers. I have to say that if something like this had been available, where I could meet costumed Luke at Disney World it would have blown my mind as a kid. I think I went to Disney world at about the same age, when Star Wars was still very new, but the only character I saw at the park was Goofy. It's neat to see the performer giving specialized attention to just a few kids.

Lady Mary and Sinrebirth like this.
  24. Adella7

Feb 8, 2016
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I hear the Rey actress is an amazing likeness, actually.