main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 1 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 29, 2019.

1. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I hope the Mandalorian writing team have taken note of the feedback regarding episode ratings. It’s almost universal that the standalone episodes are the least liked.

ladygrey45 likes this.
  2. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah let’s get more plot driven

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I hope not. Episode 2 is considered as part of the standalones, I’d say, and it’s at the top of the heap. And 6 is ranked much higher outside this thread. People adored it on the interwebs (as did I).

The problem with some of the standalones (4 and 5, only) wasn’t that they were standalones. It’s that the directing was lackluster, and so they didn’t pop. Episodes 2 and 6, standalones both, were expertly directed by Famuyiwa, and so are better liked.

What I will say, though, is that Lucasfilm should consider the directors a little more carefully. Perhaps give Filoni one episode instead of two, and I hate to say it, perhaps don’t bring back BD Howard.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  4. MandoFan

MandoFan Jedi Padawan

Dec 24, 2019
    I loved what the whole team did with this series so far. The different directors, the different actors and actresses, the different types of chapters... There was so much character growth and world building in every single episode. I can't wait for Season 2.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Chow, Famuyiwa and Waititi were the best followed very closely by Filoni. Howard was still very good but not quite as good as the others. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Favreau himself brings to the table next season since he confirmed he'd be directing an episode or two.

6. smudger9

May 29, 2007
    2 is not a standalone.

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I know that. But it's sort of considered in that bucket due to it being based away from the political machinations on Navarro, and the story arc of the episode is almost self-contained. In any event, it's my favorite episode, standalone or not.

8. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    Yes! That's exactly how I want to dress.

9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I think it is. I just watched them all in a row yesterday and it definitely feels like a "side adventure". Just my opinion... [face_peace]

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Best. Side adventure. Ever. though!

Avnar likes this.
  11. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    One thing I've come to believe is that expectation management is important. A lot of folks clearly thought this was going to be in the GOTs or Breaking Bad model... each episode advancing "the story", and were unhappy when they didn't entirely get that. To me, the only thing that mattered was whether an episode was entertaining, stand alone or not.

I also wonder if age is a factor. In my youth, many years ago, "stand alone" episodes were the norm. Maybe that's made me more accepting of that form. I've noticed a lot of the podcasters and youTubers, who tend to be fairly young, had issues with any episode that didn't "advance the main story", often saying they were bored by those. Again, if an episode illuminated a character's background or personality, or simply told a good story, I was generally entertained.

12. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I never had a problem with the so called "Stand Alones" They were entertaining for me.

SHAD0W-JEDI and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Life isn’t a string of days where every one of your experiences “advances a story.” I like that more life-like pace of the Mandalorian. Makes the world breathe and feel real to me.

afterlight, SHAD0W-JEDI and Krueger like this.
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This is quite true, actually. A lot of the time, each day is basically a "standalone" adventure. I'm going to start describing large parts of my life as a Saturday morning cartoon from now on.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I swear, every one of my days is part of the story I started as a kid about becoming a Mars astronaut. Even that one day where I didn’t get out of bed until 3:15pm.

SHAD0W-JEDI likes this.
  16. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    Just marathoned the show with my Disney+ trial. Visually I thought it was impressive with some amazing action scenes. I know it has a much lower budget, but it looks better than the ST somehow. I think it's because the characters seem to interact with the environment more?

I think story wise I was a bit less impressed. I think the writing is fine, and the plot is very interesting, but the show's emotional beats didn't really resonate with me. I grew to like the mandalorian, but I never really felt like I empathized with him. I didn't really care that much for Mandalorian culture either, it felt like they were trying too hard to make it cool.

I sure I will have no allies in this, but baby Yoda didn't really impress me that much. The puppet itself was cute, but it was way too obvious that it was a puppet. especially when everyone is always picking him up. That and the fact that BY doesn't talk, made it hard to care about him that much. I didn't dislike baby yoda, but it didn't really feel like he was alive.

All in all, I thought it was a really fun show, but I was mainly watching for the visuals and cool action scenes. I didn't feel that much connection to the characters. Maybe that will change in later seasons as I am definitely interested in watching more.

17. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    "Way too obvious that it's a puppet"?

The same thing as when every CG shot in anything now is plainly obvious it's a CG shot?

18. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    No? I'm just talking about this particular piece of special effects.

19. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Nailed it. I watched Battlestar Galactica back in 1978 and I kinda tried to pretend it was as cool as Star Wars because I couldn't watch Star Wars on TV. So by the time we got to Episode 4 of this show, I got a familiar feeling, and I wasn't sure why, until I realized, oh, this is what Battlestar Galactica was *in my mind* when I was 8, as opposed to what it really was, which was pretty lame, whereas the Mando was pretty good (in addition to being actual Star Wars which would have made my universe back then). I really liked that aspect of it, but I knew it wasn't very 21st Century.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    There is something to be said for physical special effects. Its why Jurassic Park looks better than Jurassic World alot of the time. You also don't get that slight cold bluish tint you get on alot of newer films that are heavy with CGI.

Sure alot of episodes have their own narrative but I think season 1 is slowly building a narrative and this is just the beginning. I think this is a good thing and if feels more Star Wars like TCW does but seems to be successfully baking in linear plots. The real story will start with season 2. I appreciate this slow approach to world-building and characters we have going here. I think anything that feels standalone will be more important later.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    nilzo antonio likes this.
  21. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Bingo. 90s movies tend to look better than movies now, for this reason. Yeah, the CG's technically worse, but it's not frickin' everywhere clogging every shot, it's used when you have to use it and the rest is done in-camera.

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    There's another problem. A lot of new blockbusters, such as many of the Marvel films, put filters on the landscapes/ backgrounds so that they adhere to/ gel with the look of the CGI, rather than the other way around (which would be making the CGI look as realistic as the landscapes/ background). It's cheaper and easier. But what that does is make the whole frame look like CGI, even the real backgrounds and landscapes. It's that fuzzy, confection-y look. I hate it. Ang Lee's the Hulk is the only MCU film that completely avoided that. And it's generally been avoided in new Star Wars.

Seerow likes this.
  23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I totally despise that in modern movies. I want to see more depth of color. I hope we see somewhere like Felucia on Mandalorian. As is the color is supposed to be dingy on purpose.

24. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
  25. smudger9

May 29, 2007
    Just amazing. Its great to see Lucasfilm taking risks and pushing the boundaries of technology again. There was none of that in the ST.

I bet George loved this when he saw it on set. If he’d had this 10 years ago he could have made Underworld work.

eko32eko7 and Bor Mullet like this.