main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Engage!" - Star Trek: Picard Discussion Thread [Paramount+/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Voider, May 16, 2019.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    In one recap I read the hill formation behind the trailer in the desert is the same area where Kirk fought the gorn monster.

I got that old trek feeling when Picard came through the teleporter to Star Fleet Hg and the music hit.

Cool meta thing that the Admiral turned him down for a ship. An "anything for you" thing would have not been good.

Anyone know who the lady in the desert is? "It has to be someone who hates you." Old character I missed?

The Romulan commodore is a sufficiently intimidating villain.

Sean Luc racing against time because of a syndrome, but we know he already makes it to season 2.

Anyway, good show so far.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I'm really hoping that his brain condition gets cured/prevented somehow. Seeing him as Professor X in Logan was bad enough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Sela? She's half-Romulan, and hates the Federation.

PCCViking likes this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That is most definitely not Sela, but a Denise Crosby cameo would be cool.

Juliet316 and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    His first officer during the Romulan situation, according to the prequel comics.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh yeah, failed to comment on how the Federation has the local beaming gates on Earth- kinda like a commercial Stargate (especially SG-1's "2010" episode). Not sure that works entirely with traditional beaming tech concepts since you open up the messy question of "what if you stop partway through?" but still a cool visual to convey an advancement of technology in the universe.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    What is that device one of his keepers used to scan the crime scene? Was it scanning images as if caught in the fabric of space? Tapping into a holorecorder in the room?

8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    It's Raffi Musiker. Not a character that has previously shown up.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T580 mit Tapatalk

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    It was (illegal) Romulan tech that recreates residual images based on left over trace molecules, but it’s apparently not very reliable and in this case the Romulan hit team did a very thorough job of cleaning up its mess.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, didn't find that to be anywhere near the first. Feels like its walking the path of Wars' sequels in thinking that conflict and darkness x10 is the way to go when less can be more.

And enough of writers thinking saying **** is cool, at least Discovery played that for laughs.

Sarge and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yup, that was Vasquez Rocks - it's been a filming location in almost all Star Trek shows (and at least one movie), but I think this is the first time it's actually been seen on Earth in Star Trek. Presumably, this scene actually takes places at Vasquez Rocks instead of it doubling for an alien planet.

The2ndQuest and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    BigAl6ft6 and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Did season 2 Short Treks show up international on Netflix or even Amazon cuz the final one of season 2 is totally a Picard prelude.

Of note in the Children of Mars Short Trek and Picard says "Based upon Star Trek: The Next Generation by Gene Roddenberry" unlike how ever other Trek show and movie has credited The Original Series

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ...why is 80% of that article talking about Janeway and how Picard (the series) was wise to avoid using her in that scene... something that, as far as I can tell, was never in the cards and is simply a moment of the article author's "what if?" speculation based on the fact that there's another middle-aged female admiral at Starfleet? It kind of is a terrible article on that basis alone. It'd be the equivalent of basing an article around the notion that "The Rise of Skywalker (Wisely) Avoided Resurrecting Nute Gunray Instead of Papatine" because they're both wrinkly villains from past films :p.

I think, especially given the few number of episodes this season, most of these concerns over Starfleet should be not blown out of proportion because we may get more and more context as the season unravels its mystery.

I mean, yeah, it seemed bad based on Picard's account in episode 1. Then in episode 2 we got the other side of events (from someone who had every right to be terse with Picard based on his behavior in Episode 1, regardless if she did or did not like (or agree with) him previously) and it's now mostly consistent with past actions and situations the Federation has found itself in. We'll probably get more details later as they reveal more about the mysteries of the season and how they connect to those past events. The rest of what we saw of Starfleet in these two episodes seems pretty optimistic and upbeat (well, minus the Romulan infiltrators, but that;s nothing new, either).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    A better screenrant article here

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-picard-kelvin-timeline-origin-romulus-destruction-nero/

Points out rather correctly that Nero's rant to Pike about how the Federation did nothing when Romulus was destroyed by the supernova is actually totally right considering what is shown in Picard. Well more right than just completely babbling madman rant it was before. He's totally still evil though.

Be awesome if they somehow dropped a reference to Nero's mining vessel getting a Borg upgrade but seems a bit obscure

16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yes but there are some decent observations in the other 20% ;). The Insurrection scenario should've been mentioned among the examples of dodgy Starfleet leadership though.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, things are certainly becoming more bizarre. Not sure how many plot threads will be involved by then.

So a Borg cube assimilated a Romulan ship, supposedly the only Romulans ever to be assimilated, but that broke something in the cube which is why its cut off from the collective. And now the twin girls are mentioned in... Romulan mythology? I wonder if their mother is just some sort of program in their heads, there to nudge them occasionally.

And is that the same Hugh from TNG? Whoa.

I like the new ship, reminds me of a Jem'Hadar design a bit (without the purple). And he sounds like he's got a tortured past too, with only an EMH and... Emergency Navigation Hologram acting as his conscience. Having them in his own form probably isn't a good sign of his mental health either (or is it just an excuse for that actor to talk in multiple accents?). Talk about an unusual crew, even if its just for the trip to Freelcloud, whatever that is. Not sure I quite trust Jurati as we never see her chat with Commodore Oh.

So that's Picard's former first officer from when he tried to save the Romulans. I'm not sure if Picard is coming off as too naive or not about how ruthless Romulans can be (as well as about Starfleet). And yeah, Picard would never be content on his family's vineyard. It was nice to see him in a Starfleet uniform in the flashback, as well as that Engage at the end with the TNG music cresting. Its nostalgia but I can't help but like it.

So we've got Picard, Maddox, corrupt Starfleet (not like anyone above captain was ever that reliable anyway), androids, Borg and Romulans. And a bunch of other characters.

I'm still quite interested, just waiting to see where this all leads.

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    PIC 203: The End is the Beginning

Watching this side-by-side with DIS makes me notice that they use the blueish TNG transporter effect here and not the DIS/TOS yellowish effect so neat that they’re being consistent there. Also the ship has older Shenzhou-style vertical transporter pads.

Use of EMH at least answers the question of if the synth ban applied to holographic entities.

I watch in surround sound. My head was turned to the left when that first disruptor shot came out of nowhere. That freaked me the hell out LOL.

“What it was set on stun…”
    “Romulan disruptors don’t have a stun setting.”

We also get the official retcon explaining the Neri-style Romulans vs TNG-style Romulans: Nero-style are “northerners”.

The Dr, despite not wearing a uniform, is still dressed all in blue.

“Engage + that music note. Nostalgia satisfied.

I think it's not so much that they are directly mentioned in Romulan mythology but rather that she was doing a Romulan version of a tarot card fortune reading and by placing a card down with the two sisters image, she was to divine that the story of one dying and one living applied to Soji (whose fortune was the one being read, effectively).

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Would it be fair to say that:

all the "ridgeless" Romulans in TOS are basically northerners who haven't shaved their heads or gotten tattoos?

And might they also be "closer to Vulcans" than the others, having diverged less?

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That seems like a plausible explanation.

EDIT- Also, looks I was kinda right in that PIC mirrors the structure of DIS in that it took until the third episode to introduce us to “the ship” and “the crew”. Albeit, at least in this case, the first two episodes were still important and not a mostly-disconnected prologue like DIS’s first two episodes were.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    this plot is getting complex fast but I ain't minding, it hasn't thrown me off yet. Oh and someone was wearing sunglasses and airpods in the 24th century. Which you figure that's about as far as it'll go (the ones Agnes had were probably really small). But is this the first time we've seen someone wearing honest to god sunglasses in Star Trek? (Geordi hiding his eyes on time travel excursions aside) I mean, I'd figure TNG would have done some silly band around the eyes or something but sunglasses are sunglasses, dangit.

The Emergency Navigation Hologram has a Scottish accent which may have been a shout-out to Scotty, I wonder if it does engineering too. Interesting that Emergency Holograms seems like they can be personalized, there's probably a Voyager EMH setting in there somewhere.

I spent like half the episode from them to call Hugh, Hugh. which took awhile but then they said it. I knew it was Hugh from pre-release stuff but it'd be hard to figure out if they don't say his name. Interesting that he's had more of his Borg implants removed ala Seven but obviously couldn't go the whole way. It's a good connection to I, Borg, and I vaguely remember him being ticked off in Descent but I tend to not watch Descent, like, at all. He definitely seems a bit colder (He was downright chipper in I, Borg by the end) but he recognizes that the gal is the only ones to treat the drones with some respect. and is he the one running the Borg reclamation project? Terrible idea, Hugh! Just saying.

I guess if those were the first Romulans assimilated (somewhat unlikely considering the neutral zone incursions but what the hey) they may have set off the Cube going dark and maybe the Syth uprising, and if the Jot Vash have a deep dark technological secret in them, there may be a connection to the Romulans ancestry and them being assimilated causing all the technology to go haywire. Are Romulans secretly Borg or something? Dah!

Plot stuff aside, Stewart and Picard's characterization are still fantastic, his speech about not being at home at the vineyard. "You are STARFLEET!" Him sending his first officer the data even though she said she wasn't looking and just saying "Carry on!"

I guess the First Officer is a gambling addict or something, best guess I got.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    The only character I can think that ever wore glasses of any kind was Kirk in TWOK, but that was specifically because Kirk is allergic to the usual prescription for bad eye sight.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, wait that was Hugh? I didn’t recognize him. I knew he was going to be in the series, though. Did they say his name? Must have missed it.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    it's like superfast in a wide shot when whatshername is talking to crazy card romulan lady, there's a wide shot of them at the table with Hugh in the background and she says something like "Hugh here is letting me..."

That is my complaint that it took half the episode to say who he was, I know it's kind of hokey but I'm totally fine with characters saying the other new character's name in the very first scene to establish who they are.

It mostly sounds and looks like him (the lack of Borg vox on his voice is a big one) though once you notice but his attitude and demeanor has substantially changed since "You are my friend, Geordi!"

I'll be great if he gets in another scene with Jean-Luc or if he reverts to thinking he's Locutus again but he seems quite beyond being confused by that state (and he recognized him as Picard in Descent anyway)

25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    But what about all of the Romulans we see in TNG and later? Do the "northerners" somehow get discriminated at since we don't see ridgeless Romulans until Star Trek 2009 and now Picard.

Darth Caliban and Iron_lord like this.