main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Does that make Maul....Judas?

2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Apparently, according to KK (lol), the scripts were finished last year. But now, they're not and they're revamping them. Um. [face_dunno]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    CernStormrunner likes this.
  3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I think we can get the Satine story without him needing a current love interest. Perhaps he had to travel to a place strong with the dark side on Tatooine as part of his spiritual journey and confronts fears and doubts, much like Yoda did on the Force Planet.

Flashback to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon protecting Satine, but give it an alternate telling of Obi-Wan leaving the Order for her. And then supposed idyllic life they'd've had together. Similar to the dream Luke has in the beginning of the TLJ novelization of his idyllic life with Cammie, while the galaxy remains under the boot of the Empire. Obi-Wan's dream perhaps has him being swept up in the Mandalorian side of the Clone Wars, even more helpless when/if Maul shows up or the Death Watch or maybe they are far from it all but the tragedies that struck Mandalore still happen and the Empire rises nonetheless. Anakin becomes an uninjured Vader.

Something to show him that his role in the way things played out was essential in lessening the severity even just a little bit.

IG: @jedisufism

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They can still work Maul into this, right? I mean, it'd be a hellova stretch, especially if it takes place on Tatooine since that happens in Rebels. Any way Obi-Wan and Maul could face off cuz this would be around the time Maul is running Crimson Dawn.

5. SynCrow

SynCrow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    Getting a bit nervous about the recent rumors of the crew being sent home and the series being shortened down from 6 to 4 episodes. This series is something pretty much all of us want, it'd be a real shame if it's struggling development-wise.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say, if it ends up being a 4 episode miniseries of 30 minutes each kinda like Mandalorian was it should just be a Disney+ movie exclusive. I don't mind if it's a D+ exclusive movie instead of theatrical, it'd be kind of interesting. (A theatrical Obi-Wan movie would probably make Solo numbers and then everyone would cry that Star Wars is dead yet again)

BRE and son_of_skywalker03 like this.
  7. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I prefer the serialized format rather than movie, but I'll take anything Obi-Wan. I wish it could at least be 6 though, but maybe they don't have enough of a story to tell so had to reduce the episodes? I feel like they could squeeze in enough to cover, but with Ben saying he hasn't heard the name Obi-Wan for a long time in A New Hope, that suggests he hadn't done much Jedi stuff for a few years, or at least not by his old name.

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If it’s going to be four episodes, why don't they just edit it into a movie and be done with it? Seriously, unless the episodes in question are going to be an hour each.

CernStormrunner and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Lobey-One Kenobi

Nov 30, 2009
    I think they'll probably be a half-hour to forty-five mins as The Mandalorian was.

10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, it's totally impossible to guess right now since they aren't even written.

11. Lobey-One Kenobi

Nov 30, 2009
    It's not impossible to guess at all, that's precisely what a guess is. A hunch that may or may not be influenced by facts available.

Based on Mandalorian being that time-frame, I feel it's logical Disney+ will operate the same structure running-time wise for most of their Star Wars shows going forward, possibly even for their MCU-based ones.

12. Ash_Satine

Ash_Satine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2017
    What if they do something like Sherlock? Personally I would find it interesting as they could do 4 "minimovies" that hang only losely together. Rewriting the scrips would fit in this, too. They could have one episode in every part of that era, while also doing one in the past.

BRE and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Didn't Kathleen Kennedy literally say they had scripts done almost two years ago?

14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    This thread looks like a bunch of muppets running around in a panic, right now.

IG: @jedisufism

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    KK burned the scripts and danced in the ashes during a satanic ritual to prepare for the next decade. Then she told Ewan to go home right on set while they were filming, that the people want Baby Yoda, not him. He's too old. Reddit reports that Ewan went straight home and is still curled on his bed sobbing over this terrible career setback. Clutching his Winnie-the-pooh doll from the last successful film he'll probably ever star in.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    if it's half hour 4 episodes it should be a movie but if it's 45 minutes I can see that being individual episodes. Definitely if it somehow becomes an actual hour long each, cuz otherwise it would be a 4 freakin hour movie and if people complained about Irishman at 3 and a half heads would explode at 4 hour Obi-Wan movie.

17. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    No new info in this vid, but but if you wanted to see Ewan himself confirm that it was originally going to be a movie, here it is.

Also jesus I just googled Obi-Wan and there are already a hundred clickbait headlines "Here's how Ewan McGregor is preparing to play Obi-Wan again!" I hate the internet I really do.

BigAl6ft6 and Xammer like this.
  18. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    It'd be a bad sign if they were vacillating on series vs. movie format. A mini-series of four weekly 30-minute episodes and a movie are not interchangable. They have very different needs when it comes to pacing, structure, timing and payoff. Not to mention different audience targeting, expectations and much bigger chance of interference by people who don't have the best understanding of storytelling or lore.

Do they really have a clear vision of what this story is about or why it needs to be told?

Daneira and Darth Nobunaga like this.
  19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    They probably had the same thought process about it that I do: Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan on Tatooine would be really cool.

That's probably all the thought that went into it initially, and now they're trying to come up with the actual plot.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  20. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Do we have canon info that Obi-Wan CANNOT leave Tatooine? Yes, I understand he needs to protect Luke, but is it possible that something takes him off world to ensure Luke's safety? Even for a short time?

I just didn't know if there was something that definitively says Obi-Wan DOES NOT leave Tatooine between Ep 3 and 4.

21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    There is not something that says he never left Tatooine. It's just a reasonable assumption that he at least spent most of his time there.

22. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    OK. I just see a lot of people dismissing the possibility that Obi-Wan leaves Tatooine at some point. If a legit, believable reason is given for why he needs to leave, I am all for it.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It's kind of interesting to see the differences between this and, say, Picard. It's clear right when Picard was announced that Patrick knew exactly what type of story he wanted to tell with this character and it's playing out excellently.

It's not clear anything remotely on that level is happening behind the scenes with Kenobi.

24. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    You don't have to go outside the franchise for examples of this. The Mandalorian (so far) and Rebels were story arcs with planned out visions and destinations. Both series also centered around non canon-frozen characters rather than relying on the marketing hook of an already well known and arguably fully milked out character. This is not a coincidence.

Xammer likes this.
  25. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    [​IMG]