main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Kevin Feige to Produce New Standalone Star Wars Film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by RokurGepta, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Egos.

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Eggos?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That doesn't make a lick of sense. People collaborate all the time in creative industries.

4. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I have other issues with the Marvel films, especially those of the past four years. Too many writing inconsistencies within the franchise's narrative, too many gag jokes and over-the-top action. I can over-the-top action every once in a while. But the MCU, its been a bit too much. And honestly, I hate the MCU formula. That is what I really fear about Feige taking over the Star Wars franchise . . . he will reduce it to a formula.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  5. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    The joke is on us, a future MCU film is using the working title Star Wars.

Mostly Handless and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    The gags and over-the-top action reflects the source material that they originate from. I find it curious when SW fans complain about this but we've now seen "yo momma" jokes and a gag that had a starship turn into a clothes iron so its hard to judge.

But the key of the MCU that every franchise wants to copy is the interconnected story line. That drives BO attendance and interest in every project. One can take to the bank that Disney wants this for Star Wars as well.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Such classics that sit next to poop jokes in TPM and an absolute slapstick favourite knocking ourselves out with a rock on rope in ROTJ.

Let’s not pretend bad humour is only limited to the ST or even some Marvel formula.

8. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Agreed on bad humor. Just going off recent examples instead of pulling out all of SW history.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't think dumb humor like that is necessarily out of place in Star Wars, to be honest. It's always been there to some degree. RotJ has two burp gags and a Tarzan yell, in the same film that has Luke almost murder his father in a violent rage while an operatic chorus chants in the background. Yoda beat R2 with a stick while screaming "Mine!" and fighting over a flashlight. These movies have always been a balancing act of high and lowbrow, and I suspect we'll see that continue.

10. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    The most powerful, successful and storied producer/studio executive in the one hundred year history of Hollywood is not going to play second fiddle to Kathleen Kennedy or anyone else.

11. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    ...again you’re completely ignoring the fact that this exact situation is happening. Dude just seems pumped to make a Star Wars film. So he is. Under LFL. As per the sources we’ve all seen.

12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Well in 1977 we had cheesy 70's dialogue Like,: Not This Ship Sister. that now sounds dated.
    @Serpico Jones Kathleen Kennedy IS the best producer in film history. Spielberg Is the best Director in film history well Kathleen Kennedy produced just about all of Spielberg's films...

@PymParticles I agree on the humor! Jabba's Palace everything in it was dumb humor. Jar Jar Binks Farting Eopie and that's just what I can remember off the top of my head!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  13. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

'Cause yeah, that's the personality type both Kevin Feige & Kathleen Kennedy give off. Egotistical.

Jesus. They come off as some of the more down-to-earth normal-people-are-normal types in the industry. Kevin's a mild-mannered dork, Kathleen started at the bottom and worked her way up. Methinks entitlement & ego isn't going to be a factor here.

14. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Indeed.

Feige is public face of Marvel Studios. He's a fan who got to become something more and now by virtue of his position and the success that has been realized with him there a lot of people just assume he plays the part of captain, navigator, and oarsman all at once. But he's very quick to dispel that.

But it is worth pointing out, he's had a lot of time to piece together the support that surrounds him to do what Marvel does. His notion of what a Star Wars movie is could (I might even say very well should) be different from what the garden variety Marvel movie is. I've long felt that Feige's strength is in matching talent and creative to project and vision. Will he be able to do that as effectively in a more collaborative arrangement with Lucasfilm? If it turns out that he can I think we'll get a pretty good Star Wars movie from him in the end.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I hope they kill this project, and focus on fresh, up-and-coming directors like Chow and Famuyiwa.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Feige is already working for another boss who is not Disney, he works for Sony with the Spider-Man movies set in the MCU. Sure, that almost fell apart but it didn't and we're getting a third movie. He isn't going to suddenly chafe against KK's overlord, frankly, I think he'll be given free reign like he is for the Sony/MCU movies.

His producing ratio has skyrocketted with the forthcoming D+ content, yet I still feel like this is the 2022 movie. Because it's pretty much the only lead we have now. I want proof, not leads!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  17. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    IMPOSSIBLE!! There is no way two grown adults can’t act as such, they must be driven by petty egos about who is cooler!

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    He can still help to produce movies made by those directors and others.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You realize Feige isn't a director, right?

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    ROGUE MANDALORIAN: A STAR WARS STORY

Directed by Rick Famuyiwa
    Produced by Kevin Feige

Oh, the dilemma Bor Mullet would face. The trials of Job!

21. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Feige seems pretty appealing at this point, and I was a huge KK fan at first. I would say her only A to this point is Mando. I'm talking about well-executed stories, not moneymakers, where simply a name goes a long way.

I've heard some critique the shared universe idea, but if any franchise would benefit from a tightly shared narrative it's SW.

I also think Feige is smart enough not to try to impress Marvel humor and Marvel tone on something that has its own feel (unlike Rian Johnson, who had no problem impressing whatever he liked on the franchise).

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I do. Though my understanding from the announcement was that he wanted to make just one Star Wars film, and therefore, I assumed that he actually wanted to direct it rather than just produce.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    As he’s never directed anything in his entire career I think that’s highly unlikely. It’s far more likely he simply had an idea that he pitched to Kennedy and LFL.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right, but didn’t he say something about having wanted to make one since he was a kid? It just struck me as a project he’d want as his directorial debut.

Anyway, he of course might just produce and provide creative oversight. If so, I hope Chow or Famuyiwa (or Waititi) direct, and Fraser is DP. Then I could breathe easy about it.

25. Serpico Jones

Nov 3, 2012
    Feige has full creative control over the Sony Spider-Man movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.