main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed. They are analogous to many indigenous people who settlers prefer to think of as lesser as it's easier to rationalize taking their land that way.

2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    How do you know the sand people were there first?

Seerow likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Because I flew to Tatooine and asked them. It was really lovely this time of year too. I recommend it!

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Humans, in my opinion, in general, are pretty scary as is. You may think twice what a monster is if it's trying to attack and kill you. I do think Tuskens are intended to be scary. I always thought of Tatooine as being a pretty unforgiving place. Having locals who will come kidnap you and your wife, beat you, rape, torture you without an obvious motive seemed par for the course. It's also harder to sympathize with that. Sure it may be over territory, resources, or it may be the "culture". I think this conversation gives credence to the rumor a Kenobi TV show got pushed back so the scripts could be revamped to seem less like The Mandalorian and fresher. Both Rebels and The Clone Wars (The Cartoons) have already successfully done this with Geonosians and the Talz, the later is pretty similar. For what it's worth "Trespass" is one of the most underrated episodes of TCW in my opinion. It's a great one if you're a Kenobi fan.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  5. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Tuskens certainly aren't angels, but they aren't xenomorphs either. The challenge is to capture the "humanity" beneath the brutal exterior, without turning our eyes away from the brutality. Lucas did this well merely by showing Tusken children.

Back to Kenobi, I maintain that he must leave Tatooine fairly regularly if we want the show to last longer than a season or two. Or else they must radically reinvent the culture there, adding new groups we haven't seen yet. I'm not really a fan of that approach, although it would work.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I figure Kenobi will be a miniseries at best. The only way I can think of to have it work where we go adventuring off Tatooine and get more than 6 episodes out of it. I know this will be a really unpopular thing to say. Is to make Obi-wan a decoy protagonist while the show's real all original protagonist and point of view character is revealed later whom we can go adventuring with. Meanwhile, Obi-wan remains the pillar of the show and it all comes back to him. I'm glad someone smarter than me is going to figure out how to make this show.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  7. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    This isn't intended for longer than a "season" - it's just a movie concept repackaged as a short-run miniseries. And if they're smart, there should indeed be a new breakout character in the narrative lead position to ensure there are actual stakes, surprises and a character arc.

8. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I like the idea, but Idk where it should go. I haven't seen The Mandalorian, so Idk what's done, but I'd like to see a character at least attempt to positively interact with Tuskens. Who else but The Negotiator? I just don't want it to become Dances With Womp Rats. How would Tuskens regard a Force-sensitive member of the tribe?

Dinosaurs?

Mostly Handless likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s essentially what happens. A character has a positive interaction/ exchange with Tuskens.

cwustudent likes this.
  10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    You know, cuz, I like to live dangerously so the raptor comparison IMO is closer than you think... there is something inherently wrong if creatures need to look human to be considered sentient emotional beings like humans. I know people like to pretend JPIII didn't happen and would like to pretend the Jurassic World trilogy don't exist but raptors spend all of JPIII chasing people to get their eggs, their babies back from the guy who stole them. It's just culturally expected for a predator to eat people. Then, we've had a raptor cry literal tears of pain and fear having a bullet surgically removed from her leg. That's pretty human. They can be communicated with, that stops attacks. Difference is I guess it's no one ever asked for this and it was executed badly. The kitchen scene in the original isn't the same anymore. Animals, monsters, human-like, or innocent victims of human meddling these things were scary. Tuskens are not man eating dinosaurs without a conscience so we can make them totally relatable, have tea with them, and complex the crap out of them by making it possible to cross their land by trading them junk like binos.

Why not make the same jump? If Blue can be one of the familiar faces of five and a hero, sure why not a Tusken? The best way I can see this going somewhere is to make the jump to supporting character and one of the heroes. I love Obi-wan but I have my doubts he can carry a while show as the only main character. This is why I like the idea rogue Jedi or even an Inquisitor chasing a rogue Jedi onto Tatoonie as an idea. I think one of my least favorite thing about The Mandalorian is only following two characters most of the time. That's the finale is much more fun to me then the rest though I don't mind the slow build up since I think season 1 is just a beginning. Kenobi has to get it all done in a Mini-series, IMO.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    You could have a Tusken character who is relatable, but also comes from a very tough harsh society. With a set of values and decisions that shock Obi Wan, but is still fundamentally a "good" person.

It'd make for interesting moments.

Mostly Handless and cwustudent like this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Redemption for the tuskens.

13. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I didn’t care for Campea’s remarks about Filoni and Tano at all. But he’s nothing like the others you’ve mentioned.

14. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Yeah, It's not a great scene though. The two Tuscen come out of nowhere in exactly the same way as that one did in ANH (except there is only open desert around, no cliffs or rocks to jump out from), they even made the same angry scream sound, but they are just standing there looking confused, like they have just been Star Trek beamed down.

Seerow likes this.
  15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The Tusken scene in The Mandolorian, in my opinion, was played for laughs to make an incompetent young bounty hunter look even more incompetent which just makes it seem ridiculous. The episode beat me over the head with reminding me said young bounty hunter was an idiot. It's pretty cringy and that's not something I just throw around. I have a high tolerance for campy, cheesy, stupid things. That's a road map for how not to create a one-shot character for an Obi-wan TV show.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Filoni's written and directed episodes are among the weakest, like bad cartoon episodes from the '80's imo.[face_coffee]

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I thought Filoni did fine with the first episode. Episode 5 of The Mandalorian was just a bad idea that was executed just as bad. With TCW "Lethal Trackdown" and "The Wrong Jedi" were knocked out of the park IMO so he can get there. But more of the great ones were Gilroy, Ellsworth, Taylor, Michnovetz, Friedman, or Katie Lucas episodes. It would be cool to see one of them do some writing on a live-action show. Maybe Kenobi can give one of them a chance.

18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Episode 1 was written by Jon though, he may of also helped Dave with the episode on set too. Episode 5 was all Dave ,lol.

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Episode 5 was the only one written and directed by Filoni. And I do think it’s one of the worst. I love the guy to death. But he has some larnin’ to do.

wobbits likes this.
  20. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    For this series (Can I keep calling it "The Hermit" ) I just want Tatooine, the location, the familiar parts and with some new areas. I don't want more event 'member berries though like that Tusken scene. I don't need old Ben saying "Hello there" every episode, or mentioning happy landings and that kind of stuff either. They should just concentrate on telling a good story on Tatooine.

wobbits and Mostly Handless like this.
  21. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    The thing with Kenobi is that only a "mini series", one event story told through 4 or 6 episodes, make sense.
    To imagine a series, like Mandalorian ( wich is said to have 5 seasons plan) , considered the overall SW canon, just does not seem plausible.
    Obi-wan stayed behind i Tattoine to overlook, from a distance, Luke. And that's all. To make believe he had an adventurous life in between ROTS and ANH is actually contraditory to the character wer know froim the movies.

22. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Thanks, I found that part. More of that would be awesome.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    How do you know this?

24. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    We don't. It'd make sense, though.

Ewan's probably not going to want to commit to some 3-4 season arc or whatever, and honestly there's not enough story necessary to be told here to justify it. We don't need to know everything Obi ever did over 20 years there, just a short concise & elegant dive into some important/more plotworthy stuff. Probably some meditation/training/enlightenment with Qui-Gon, a few run-ins with Owen explaining the hostility, protecting Luke from a local threat or two.

You can cover that in a miniseries no problem, seems the way they'd go with it.

25. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    As far as Tuskens are concerned, I would love to see them explored more. KOTOR did a great job delving into their culture and I would love to see those ideas in Canon and presented in a live-action format. The Mandalorian hinted at it but it would be really cool to explore and would also give more weight to Anakin's slaughter of the Tuskens and it would further explain why Obi-Wan ran them off instead of flat-out killing them in ANH.

There are also rumors abound of a new KOTOR game coming that would be canon, perhaps even a remake of the original. If true, future shows could tie into that Tusken backstory.