main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Obi-Wan TV show happened, Ewan McGregor returned

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Even in Legends, he briefly left Tatooine on a mission with Ferus Olin, in the first few books of the Last Of the Jedi series.

boomx2sjk and Xammer like this.
  2. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Senpezeco and Nom von Anor like this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    If they wanted to be clever, Obi-Wan could make some terrible, horrible mistake during his first couple of years on Tatooine, and then become convinced that he's a threat to Luke. He runs off and has a short series of adventures beyond Tatooine, enough so that chronology-wise it's not a long time, but fits a TV series. He jumps between a series of planets, sees how awful the galaxy has become, and learns that the best path forward is to stay on Tatooine with Luke. I mean surely he must feel guilty just staying on one planet immediately after the war, while the rest of the galaxy suffers. Maybe he goes through some type of learning experience that teaches him otherwise, that as difficult as it is, he's absolutely got to stay on Tatooine. And kudos if Liam Neeson has a part in that.

4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    If you really really need adventure and derring-do.... make it Yojimbo. Just as The Mandalorian is Lone Wolf and Cub.

IG: @jedisufism

5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Not exactly new news, but Ewan mentioned again how his uncle Denis Lawson (Wedge) really, really, really didn't want Ewan to do Star Wars: http://www.justjared.com/2020/02/07...d-to-talk-him-out-of-joining-the-movie-video/

I get that Denis got a lot of unnecessary attention for a bit part that may have gotten in the way of other work, but couldn't he see that Ewan's situation was different than his? Even if Ewan wasn't allowed to talk about the prospective part details with his uncle, he likely said something like, "It's a major starring part, not an extra or bit part like yours was." And a starring part can potentially do great for your career, or not, but it's still a possibility.

I get not everyone likes Star Wars but letting an overriding dislike of something interfere with your nephew's potential career prospects seems a bit much. And dangerous even. If I were Ewan and turned down Obi-Wan on my uncle's advice and then watched another guy get the stardom, trilogy, and a tv show, I'd never let my uncle forget it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Lawson was speaking from experience of doing SW, it wasn't simple dislike.

Yeah, we all really like the character of Wedge but from an acting and professional perspective, it wouldn't have been that great a job. Then you get typecast as doing SF and that blocks off other opportunities.... It's not hard to see Lawson's fears for his nephew.

And the PT did blight some of its actors careers, McGregor managed to beat the odds.

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Thats just it though. Someone with lawsons experience should see that Ewans situation was far closer to Harrison Fords than to his own. Maybe if it were mark hamill talking to ewan it would be understandable

As for pt stars, i think only hayden hasn't been in much lately. Natalie ewan and liam are constantly in stuff

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you were the one unlucky enough to win the PT lottery, you're stuffed - it's not hard to see why Lawson wouldn't have wanted that to happen to McGregor.

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yeah, I would totally get it if around 1997/8 Lawson didn't really have the fondest memories of working in SW. Franchises weren't really an established thing in the seventies and eighties like they are now, and I'd imagine that with a minor role like Wedge's, coming back for the third movie just to spend days inside a cramped fighter jet cockpit would feel like more of a burden than a privilege. Especially with the TV and Theatre Work I'm sure he would rather have been doing.

It wasn't until 2001 that he returned to the franchise to voice Wedge in the Rogue Leader video game, and for an actor who did as much serious TV and theater work as he did throughout the eighties and nineties, being typecast as a space fighter probably would have been annoying. It seems as if he's mellowed about it these days, but only after a lot of hard work --- I'm sure it took him years and years to have casting directors say to him "Oh hey, you're actor Denis Lawson" instead of "You're that Star Wars guy!"

Like, you have to wonder if the boost that the success of the X-Wing books gave to the Cult of Wedge in 1996 and '97 made him hate SW even more.

Nobody145, Nom von Anor and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Wedge's three seconds of screentime in TROS is actually kind of great. I didn't need a huge Wedge subplot or burying him among those random Resistance admirals instead he shows up when things start to turn around. You know how it is turning around, because Wedge is there!

Dawud786 likes this.
  11. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Lawson has spoken about this before and the way he tells it, he didn’t so much tell him not to take the part but rather he warned Ewan (whom he was something of a mentor towards during his early acting days) that he needed to be careful with the role for fear that he’d be pigeonholed as “the Obi-Wan actor” for the rest of his career.

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I didn't know Lawson spoke on this topic, I've only heard it from Ewan. Interesting.

13. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    It was during an interview with the Star Wars show at Celebration...2017, I think.

sidv88 likes this.
  14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Yeah I don't think he hated SW in the nineties as much as I asserted he did in my last post. He was interviewed in Insider 23 in the Fall of '94 and seemed really genial about the experience. He even used the terms "Rebel pilots" and "X-wing" a few times, which is an in-universe awareness I wouldn't have expected. But then, he also mentioned that he got a lot of fan mail, so maybe they were terms from which he couldn't escape, even if he wanted to.

I know that it's generally frowned upon to post full-page scans of recent comic books... but would anyone care if I did it for a twenty-five-year old magazine?

Here are the images in case you can't see 'em here: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He also says that he was part of the Norway shoot. Did he... did he go to Norway just for the five-second "Good luck, Luke! See you at the rendezvous!" scene?

They would have filmed the snowspeeder cockpits at Elstree. We never see Wedge inside Echo Base, do we?

I mean, that's him saying the "see you at the rendezvous" line, but... surely they could have put anyone in an orange jumpsuit and helmet and done the line via ADR.

This script of ESB has that scene being slightly longer (ctr + f Wedge and go to the end), so there's that I guess. But hey, if he wasn't bitter over going all the way to Norway for essentially no reason, then I guess he never hated Star Wars after all!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Barriss_Coffee and Nom von Anor like this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    He might be in the briefing scene. It's hard to tell who some of the guys are (I think Zev is there too?), and Hobbie is the only one who talks besides Leia and Ratzenberger, so he might have been glossed over.

16. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    For all we know, Kenobi was mind tricking Owen all these years not to let Luke go to the Imperial Academy. I find it hard to believe that Owen's insistence Luke not go and Kenobi's own goals for Luke were not connected at all, and this show could explore that.

Luke: "Hi old Ben! Uncle Owen finally let me go to the Imperial Academy! I'm going to be undergoing TIE Fighter pilot training under Lord Vader himself!"

Kenobi: ...

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Even though Owen wants nothing to do with Obi-Wan by the time ANH rolls around, I have to imagine that there was some discussion when Luke was handed off to not let him leave the planet or be discovered by the Empire or something, which Owen agreed to. There’s a reason he’s so overprotective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Owen is smart enough on his own to know he damn sure doesnt want Luke getting into the clutches of the Empire. So the Academy is really not an option. Owen is going to do his damndest to make Luke a moisture farmer and nothing but a moisture farmer. Living in obscurity is the best way to keep him safe.

Obi-Wan wants him safe, until it's time for him to take up his father's lightsaber.

If Owen had his way, Luke would be on that moisture farm until the day he died. I dont think he needs Obi-Wan to mind trick him into keeping Luke on the farm. Besides, Owen doesnt strike me as particularly weak minded.

IG: @jedisufism

19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Why, from Owen's point of view, would the Empire be bad? Unlike our other main heroes, they've never done anything to him. In fact, Owen might prefer their rule of Tatooine over the Hutts', which he would likely remember.

At the time of ANH, there was still the illusion of democracy with the Imperial Senate. Owen died before Alderaan. As far as he and Beru know, Palpatine is a courageous man who saved the galaxy from the Clone Wars.

The only thing that might change that is he would think the Empire killed Anakin though. But then why didn't he tell Luke, "The Empire killed your father, why do you want to join them?"

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Luke's specifically being kept hidden from the Empire. Owen wants Luke safe. Owen doesn't want Luke joining the Empire.

Daneira likes this.
  21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    And we know at some point Owen stopped caring at all what Kenobi thought. Kenobi doesn't want Luke joining the Empire. Luke wants to join the Empire. All Owen has to do is say, "Well, I'll let the kid decide his own life, not you Kenobi."

22. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    It has nothing to do with what Kenobi thinks. Owen wants to keep the boy under his protection safe.

Nobody145 and son_of_skywalker03 like this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Fair enough, it's like how in the real world many don't want their kids to join the military. But then why didn't he just say that? "I'm afraid you'll get killed as a TIE pilot or even if you aren't and make a simple mistake, I heard Lord Vader isn't as forgiving as I am."

@Coherent Axe and don't forget Owen's own dialogue to Beru seems to contradict what you say. He says "I'll make it up to him", strongly implying he will let Luke go to the Imperial Academy in the future. What was Kenobi going to do then?

DurararaFTW likes this.
  24. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Because his character type is Gruff and Emotionally Distant, but it wouldn't really make much difference. Luke would just say "I'll be careful" or "I'll show that Darth what for!" and he'd not listen as usual.

25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You may have missed my edit but I said: don't forget Owen's own dialogue to Beru seems to contradict what you say. He says "I'll make it up to him", strongly implying he will let Luke go to the Imperial Academy in the future. What was Kenobi going to do then?