main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Potential Threats/Antagonists For New Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by King Maul, Jan 5, 2018.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Arden Lyn, one of the founders of the Sith and inventor of Teres Kasi. She could be a narrator for the formation of the Sith and the first Jedi-Sith conflict and I like the idea that Teres Kasi was passed down from her all the way to Maul and Qi’ra.
    MCU Lucas, like real-life Lucas, found the Journal of the Whills and made movies based on it. ;)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That way lies the next Galactica 1980. No thank you.

3. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Call them what you want but I’m betting the big bad in the next film will be a Sith or something very Sith like that uses red lightsabers.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Here's something different: a being that evolved in and from dark matter. This could be totally alien in a Lovecraft-horror sort of way, just seeing it is a blow to most peoples' sanity. Its actions seem senseless and its purpose unfathomable, but definitely not good for the known galaxy.

GregMcP and CernStormrunner like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d like for it to be an expansionist faction of the Mandos. Led by a Putin-esque revanchist figure who believes that the best defense of Mandalore is offense. A Mando Empire.

The Chalk Jedi and Darth Nave like this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    1. Flawed, centralized, detached, bureaucratic Jedi following the orders of a flawed, apathetic, systematic Republic serving as the gray antagonists.
    2. A sympathetic authoritarian government that's not as plain evil as Palpatine/Snoke/Tarkin/etc., to have a conflict that shows why authoritarian government even when not cackling evil is still bad.
    3. A sympathetic liberator/freedom-fighter antagonist who focuses on the ends justifying the means, no matter how bloody. Think of a mix of the Red Lotus in Legend of Korra with Daenerys Targaryen in Game of Thrones.

7. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    There will be no future threats. All the new movies are going to be set in the past so all we will have will be past threats that have been long defeated and dead.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, all the movies are set a long time ago, so...there’s never been a future threat.

9. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I think George originally wanted to go in the direction of connecting the SW Galaxy to Earth. But yes, Galactica 1980 came along. Many people would be turned off...but I think SW would be a richer experience by going the Galactica 1980 route with C-3PO, R2, BB-8, and other droids being sent to Earth in a time capsule. Of course, the idea that the droids outlived all the humans is too scary for children and not Disney-friendly.

Future Threats? time travel, droids "outliving" humans

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Any connection to Earth would make me turn in my fan card. It's probably the one thing that would ruin SW for me. And AFAIK Lucas never wanted that either - it was just some fan speculation in the early 80s.

ami-padme and EHT like this.
  11. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    [​IMG]
    Dark Matter, eh?

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We got that “sorta” with Saw in Rogue One and Rebels

13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    mind = blown. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE UPDATE.

15. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Jawas vs Ugnaughts

16. Lord Jocusta

Lord Jocusta Jedi Padawan

Feb 11, 2019
    I think it would be cool to have Mara Jade as a main dark side villain in a Rey trilogy. Her redemption could come in the World between Worlds when she is shown what her life could have been (I.e Skywalker). Would be interesting plus healing for some of the fan base.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm into the idea of the big bad being somebody from the criminal underground who isn't Force sensitive and the stakes are smaller than the fate of the galaxy hanging in the balance.

InterestingLurker and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. And having their power derive not from hand-to-hand combat skillzz, but with the powerful criminal organizational structures they’ve built around them. That also makes for more layered and interesting world-building. Otherwise, it’s just ghouls fighting wizards like some cheap D&D campaign.

19. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I thought Prince Xizor and SOTE was a decent story, similar to this idea. He was an ultimately doomed threat - which we knew would fail - but was interesting enough and not galaxy-threatening.

I'd be up for something like this and the Underworld footage (although of a poor standard) got me thinking this could be possible.

I'd quite like to see something that brought together the traits of people in gangster/Mafia-style organisations and the autocratic/fear-inducing Empire. (I haven't seen the Mando yet...!)

More generally, I'd like to see local threats/stories with resolutions over 1-3 episodes. So TV format, not films.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  20. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    That's pretty much what made me excited for the Star Wars Underworld series in the first place.

That said, it would work better for the first villain of a live-action show before moving on to the next villain.

I'm not saying that I don't want it... but as a large corporation Disney sort of has to think about the "general audience" and unfortunately I believe that the stakes will always be rather big. But hey, I hope that we get just what you describe. And really, the galaxy needs a break.

I mean, it definitely needs a break from what's essentially been nearly 60 years of chaos and instability; from the Clone Wars up to the... death star ships in TROS lol. ;)

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Go watch Mando, for God’s sake!

DannyD and Darth Jar-Jar like this.
  22. Rogue Knight

Rogue Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2020
    I doubt they'd go down this route but an intergalactic Yuuzhan Vong type threat may be interesting if done properly.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  23. Darth Jar-Jar

Darth Jar-Jar Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2020
    i would like to see jar jar binks become the sith master

Rogue Knight likes this.
  24. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I know! Whatsa meesa doin'?!

Really looking forward to it. :)

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I love this idea. I think you guys are basically talking Prince Xizor.

I also love Bor Mullet's idea about a rogue Mando.

The idea in this thread I don't like is "alien invasion." Not only do we already have an galaxy of aliens who need to be explored in more detail, making the concept of alien invasion kind of absurd and redundant, but it's a xenophobic fantasy that the evil (illegal) alien other from the outside will bring the divided people in the internal world together. Aliens come together because of the "truly evil" aliens.

The only spin on this idea that would work for me, maybe, possibly, would be if the evil were truly some impossible evil like a negative metaphysical presence like Lovecraftian beasties. That situation works better because the "aliens" would be more like supernatural monsters than an actual alien culture, but even this comes darn close, or even just is, a more subtle form of xenophobia.

I honestly think conflicts in SW are always best when they function as allegories or speculative fictions about human freedom and governance. Crime lords works well here because that's part of the individual's struggle with castrated freedom and law.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    DannyD and Bor Mullet like this.