main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Not sure there's that much else to be done with the Tuskens, they're pretty minor elements in the mythos. Would love to see an encounter or two with Obi-Wan though, but you'd kinda figure it'd have to still be less-than-friendly/understanding given their interactions in ANH.

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Thats a fairly dull 19 years when you think about it. and 19 years is a long time. if he is just meditating, stalking Luke and arguing with Owen for the first 10 years, which is a generous amount of time... what about the next 9 years? same thing? 12 months of each year the same dealio?

Even if you separate events into several years each... thats also pretty generous. its not like exciting things would be happening monthly for obi-wan.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  3. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Jawas are pretty minor. That didn’t stop them becoming one of the most memorable things in the Mandalorian.

4. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    You have to get Kenobi off Tatooine regularly for the show to be fun. If not, it's about tortured hermit Kenobi, like Luke on Ahch-To. Ewan would make such suffering interesting, but I still don't care to watch it.

Kenobi, the Hermit:

Day 465. Got up. Meditated. Began crying. Went back to bed.
    Day 777. Tusken came by to borrow rock. Apparently number one seasoning here.
    Day 1012. Saw lil Luke from afar. Had flashbacks to dead younglings.

What a show!

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The more I think of it, Obi Wan coming across an injured Sandperson, and showing him a bit of compassion would be a fine springboard for a story.

Obi Wan being injured and finding himself being healed and living amongst the Sandpeople would be pretty cool too.

All sort of angles could be taken.

(BTW, I reckon they have a good story sorted out, but, one thing the Mando has taught Lucasfilm is that a show needs to be Meme-able , GIF-able. It needs a Baby Yoda to be really successful.
    So, "Go stick something cute in it".)

Mostly Handless and cwustudent like this.
  6. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Is Tatooine really that boring of a planet. nothing happens at all? i guess its Jabba the Hutt's holiday planet. when he just wants to get away from it all and chill out.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  7. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Kenobi can't really do much with Jabba or else that would be the end of Jabba. And Jabba is fine and dandy until ROTJ. Are you imagining that Kenobi and Jabba have some sort of on-going conflict? This seems like one of the worst ideas for people concerned about changing the past narrative too much.

8. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

"Dull" is fine". Kind of goes with the territory regarding hiding in exile, guarding someone from afar.

We don't need any big action setpieces here, not on the scale of the Mando stuff. Obi-Wan's laying low, trying to stay out of all the criminal underworld elements on Tatooine. Some dude's busting out a saber on a regular basis and laying down the law, that's going to get attention pointing his way, and potentially Luke's way.

Dispatching an occasional livin'-the-life scummy goon here or there is one thing, but we don't need to get into any major-league ruckus with anyone with any significant power. Imperials are basically out here, at least as far as anyone knowing enough to run it up the chain to the bigwigs. Jabba probably doesn't know about him, going by the OT.

Also really, really unlikely we'll be covering 10 years here. For all we know the series could cover weeks or a month, a specific self-contained thing set in that period. It's probably just going to be the most "exciting" (I'd say "important/significant" more than "exciting", this shouldn't be an acion-fest) stuff that did happen during his time there, with an inferall that this isn't your usual everyday stuff for Obi-Wan.

Because he's, you know, a frickin' hermit, in hiding, a fly-on-the-wall. That's the whole point of him being there. Rumors start circulating of some serene hippie dude with a laser-sword putting evildoers in their place, that's game over for Obi. Anyone who finds out about him basically has to die here.

9. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    My impression is that Owen really doesn't like Obi Wan by the time of New Hope.

They may have been in agreement to look after Baby Luke at the end of Sith, but something happened. Something split them apart.

Something made Owen forbid Obi Wan from training Young Luke at the age that would be appropriate.

There's at least one story in that.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  10. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, exactly. More of a small-scale dramatic thing is the order of the day here, ideological headbutting between Obi/Ben and Owen, that sort of thing. A few friendly interactions between Obi and Luke, though probably best to keep Luke barely knowing the guy. Some depressing reminiscing with Jar Jar (however the hell Jar Jar ends up on Tatooine), that sort of thing.

Obi-Wan doing the whole ronin-samurai thing and maybe saving some various moisture-farmers or other smalltime people just trying to get by is probably what the "action"-y stuff should entail here.

11. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Maybe he takes up arms against slavers? I mean, one could argue Lucas's intent in making Anakin's origin story one of a slave was expected to directly impact his state of mind, and why he was susceptible to the dark side. No matter where their relationship ended, Anakin and Obi-Wan were very close for a very long time; I would be very surprised if Obi-Wan doesn't partially blame Anakin's origins for his fall. So, then you have one of the last few remaining Jedi who almost definitely hated slavery ever before raising Anakin (and now likely hates it much more for multiple reasons) living on a planet where slavery is fairly widespread. I could see an awful lot of plot being tied up in this.

Mostly Handless and Kole like this.
  12. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Yes "Dull" is fine". But at some point in 19 years stuff can happen. apparently in rebels Maul finds him. stuff happens!

It doesn't have to happen often... but 19 years is a long time just for nothing to cross his path.

Well he sure got his saber out quick in episode 4. i guess he gave up at that point when it came to hiding. but still. its not about laying down the law with a saber. he doesn't have to lay down the law. he just has to get through life and anything that may come his way.

So much stuff going down in the galaxy that if someone did catch him with a saber on a very rare occasion, i ain't sure how much it would matter. especially in canon where it seems like there are jedi out there that are making less of an attempt to hide themselves.

19 years is a long time to be doing nothing for. and the idea of watching luke is fine... but you could imagine that yeah that would be abit creepy after a while if that was all he ever did. yeah he can walk the desert, meditate constantly, but at some point something is gonna happen thats out of the normal.

13. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    ... occasionally peeking in a kids bedroom window to check up on him.

"If you keep doing that, I'm calling the cops" - Uncle Owen

14. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    The safest thing you can do with Kenobi is to have him leave the planet for missions. This way no one on Tatooine suspects him of anything, and we also have this tension when he leaves, wondering if Luke will be okay.

Just because he was called a hermit doesn't mean he never left his cave, or Tatooine.

It's like saying Bruce Wayne can't be Batman because people called him a lazy playboy. It's a kind of mask he wears. And Kenobi can wear that mask too, or else he ends up like Luke for years, doing very little when he could help others.

cwustudent and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    No. Bruce Wayne has money. Old Ben Kenobi has no money and no ship to leave Tatooine on. Also there other people on Tatooine that Ben could help. There is no need for a new Ferus Olin adventure.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  16. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Let me demonstrate how easy this is to alter:

Old Ben Kenobi has money and a ship to leave Tatooine on.

Yes, Ben could help people on Tatooine, but this calls attention to himself, and even worse, to Luke. His goal is to keep things as quiet as possible so the Empire doesn't take notice.

This suggests if we want him to have some adventures, that he must, on occasion, leave the planet.

And it shouldn't be difficult for him to stay in contact with Bail Organa for funds and a ship.

17. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Leaving the planet for whatever reason is bad because it goes against his mandate to watch the child in addition to the whole laying low and not being identified by the Empire or those who may rat him out.

18. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Going against the mandate is good storytelling because it creates tension. Realistically, most of the time Luke does not need to be watched over by Kenobi. However, some episodes can make us worry whether Kenobi will return in time to save Luke. That's the kind of tension we want from such a show.

[In fact, even if Kenobi doesn't leave the planet, they'll certainly do this.]

19. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Blahh, as far as Obi leaving Tatooine & going on adventures/missions, that's about as dealbreaker-y as it gets for me, personally. Absolutely unnecessary, completely out of character and negating the entire point he's there.

Also takes hugely away from A New Hope where the entire point is some last-ditch desperate effort by Bail & Leia to seek out this relic dude they haven't seen in forever (and ostensibly Leia's never met). If he's been on-call the whole time, ready to come into action, and did just that only 10 years back, it just automatically cheapens the whole thing.

The way he's talked about by Bail & Mothma in Rogue One reinforces that, too.

Bail keeping Obi & Yoda abreast of the galatic state of affairs over the ol' space hologram phone is another story though, that fits like a glove.

Yes, stuff happens. Thing is, Maul showing up is a big honkin' deal, and happens way after this. We've already seen it.

Nothing, nothing at all happening to Obi-Wan in his Tatooine exile should exceed "Maul showing up and putting 2 + 2 together regarding Luke". That should be like the peak of the "holy ****!" stuff while Obi-Wan's there.

We're not saying "nothing". Just that it shouldn't be Imperial, darksider, or Jabba gangsters. Or at least with a caveat of the latter, Jabba gangsters work so long as they all get snuffed and can't report what they've found back to Jabba.

Even that's kind of walking a fine line, as Jabba's not going to just shug and not look into it if multiple of his goons are ending up dead for apparently no reason.

Well, yes. What's being asserted is that anything coming his way should be small & garden-variety. A few tuskens here or there, some ne'er-do-well jackass from the cantina, that sort of thing. And all basically happen out in the boonies with no one around to witness it, hence no rumors going around on Tatooine.

That doesn't work if he's coming up against anyone major, in numbers, with power and connections and of any significance.

Why wouldn't it matter? No, the Jedi weren't a big deal out in the Outer Rim, but that almost plays more in favor of people making a huge deal of it if some apparently-feeble old man is busting out a supersword and curbstomping whole gangs or militias or whatever.

Valiowk and Riv_Shiel like this.
  20. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    It should be noted that Old Ben is regarded as a "wizard". Gotta be some story in that, and it has gotta take place on Tatooine.

21. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I imagine the Obi-Wan spin off as quite a bit like the old 1970s series Kung Fu...

Visually it may be similar to the Mandolorian but with a more spiritual/pacifist tone? (I still haven't seen Mando yet!) Obi could get some good lines in amongst his trying-to-stay-hidden agenda while having local encounters that touch upon moral questions related to the PT/OT and his own actions. So a bit reflective with cool defensive action sequences.

I think this be a different angle on Star Wars and may tie in with some of ANH Obi's lines and demeanour and reinforce ANH Obi/ESB Yoda's decisions to remain hidden.

The surprise of Obi's attack in the cantina after all those years of contemplation/passivity could be interesting, as well as his eventual giving up to Vader to allow Luke to escape.

The series could end with Obi sensing the destruction of Jedha (a la small Alderaan) and a "coming storm"...

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  22. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

To Luke. ie. Owen was around in the old days, knows what a Jedi is through Anakin, has a chip on his shoulder regarding whether they're a good thing to have around, and has passed that take onto Luke as he was growing up. Not in as specific as using the word "Jedi", just in dismissing him as a crazy old kook who believes in the supernatural.

That never came off as literal, as in Luke believing he had weird arcane abilities prior to ANH. It's more of a "hey, kid, stay away from that 60 year old dude down the street who's filled his house with voodoo dolls and wiccan paraphernalia, I don't think he's completely right in the head" analogue.

Owen knows he's the real deal, sure. But he disapproves, due to the Anakin stuff and probably partly blaming Obi, and he's not wanting Luke having anything to do with him. Plenty of ways you can illustrate that without needing to have Obi-Wan get into big spectacular throwdowns.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  23. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Oh, I certainly agree. I don't think people should have any idea that he is a Jedi or has powers on that level or of that variety. I just think there is more to the story than Old Ben being a hermit that no one knows anything about. The idea should be out there that he is a strange mystic - there should be interactions with characters that build that reputation.

24. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    Here’s a solution: Bail is the M to Kenobi’s 007. There’s your show. Ben does clandestine work funded by the Organas in total secrecy on behalf of the rebellion while trying to keep an eye on Luke back home.

Otherwise, hermit Ben is telling Luke’s story from ST. I for one have seen enough of the self-exiled Jedi trope. Kenobi should get out there in the universe and flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Luke's literally the last (or first option among the last two) hope for defeating the Empire and restoring balance to the galaxy in the long game.

Why would he risk leaving that kid defenseless even for a few days/weeks while he's off-world handling some smaller matter in the big-scheme fight? That smells all kinds of wrong.

Bail should definitely get an interaction or two with Obi-Wan here, especially with the Rogue One reference. Just keep it to hologram-skype. Takes away from the weight of R1 & ANH bigtime if Bail enlisting Obi-Wan is just some always-an-option thing. Keep that a desperate last-ditch move he can only justify after these 19 years as the ****'s really about to hit the fan with the Death Star, he has no other option.

Anything less is cheap-cheap-cheap.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020