main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Star Wars Episode IX: Duel of the Fates

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Since the full script for DOTF has been leaked, I propose we discuss it in this thread and leave the other thread for discussion about the actual Episode IX.

2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I do wonder if the paralells between the script and the finale of Rebels are intentional or not (the capitol building taking off into space and being blown up with the remaining bad guys in it!)

Other bits I want this topic to discuss:

-the ancient kyber-light tech and below the Jedi Temple (inspired by Lord of the Rings: Return of the Kings medieval call to arms fires system): Inpired by LOTR alone or was it influenced by unaired TCW episode with Lucas having an older Sith shrine below the Jedi Temple?

-the use of Mortis and how it relates to Exegol

-Tor Valum: ancient Sith or just a teacher of Sith and no Lord himself? Like all he can do is teach but never claim power? Another Plagueis copout?

-The Legends EU beginnings of concepts that would be turned into originals: Bonadan => Kijimi & Paasana.

-Stormtrooper Rebellion and the galaxy rising up in more detail than in IX (ideal pretext to merge TROS and DOTF into one cohesive story with minor tweaks to DOTF given TROS is locked)

-As mentioned above, my ideal is merging DOTF and TROS into one larger story, how I detailed in another topic already and could repost here if needed. Other ideas on how to merge them?

darthzac14 likes this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Please repost your merger theory... I cannae find it.

darthzac14 likes this.
  4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Here you go, I might do a revised version of it one day soon-ish:

PCCViking likes this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean, Rose could be at Coruscant rather than Exegol, arguably doing little, with a larger secondary cast.

The Eclipse being stolen is a good nod, and perhaps the uprising commenced on Coruscant in tandem with Exegol kicking off.

The idea of Ben and Rey going to Mortis is fun, though Rey Solana - Solo and Organa - has to go. But I like the idea of the back-and-forth ending up on Mortis.

Rey Palpatine is much more thematic to Star Wars than Rey Solana is.

One thought; Kylo goes to Tor Valum to figure out how to defeat Palpatine while the Knights of Ren hunt them on Pasaana and Kijimi.

6. Xammer

Jan 31, 2009
    When I see Solana I can only think of Javier Solana.

7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Playa del Rey and Solana Beach are both beaches in Los Angeles. Maybe her middle name is Venice.

8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I then suspect Anakin would have hated Rey's name in DOTF. :p

9. Darth-Krayt

Darth-Krayt Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 25, 2018
    I would change the mortis part.
    You could make mortis and exegol different planets but keep it just a vision during tros/dotf, then after the war ends rey joins the jedi who were searching for mortis after fotj leading into the return of the mortis son and the george lucas sequel trilogy

Sinrebirth and ColeFardreamer like this.
  10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I will say I do like the script overall but Jesus. Why the **** can't Anakin just appear. [face_laugh]

Emperor Ferus and Sinrebirth like this.
  11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Here's the draft.

And 2 batch of concept arts, so far.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    CampOfSorgan and ColeFardreamer like this.
  12. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Maybe someone can also post links to other script leaks from makingstarwars, JediPaxis, Bespinbulletin and others detailing the versions in between Duel of the Fates and The Rise of Skywalker!

Checking all of them in chronological order you get a fuller picture of how one evolved into the other. How Tor Valum became the Oracle and ultimately cut. How Bonadan turned into Kijimi and Paasaana split in two locales. How Palpatine emerged into the story from a Holocron reference in passing to a full blown return. How Mortis and another Sith world merged into Exegol. How major plot elements shrank into missing scenes in TROS and others grew to take over the entire narrative that started as a background cameo.
    Or how much the final movie changed in post editing. How it instead with Kylo once began with the flashback of Luke training Leia. Or how another version had Kylo meet Palpatine not early but as late as Rey did.

Xammer likes this.
  13. Darth-Krayt

Feb 25, 2018
    I think those are all:

The Basic Plot of The Rise of Skywalker, Updated and Expanded: Act II

The Basic Plot of The Rise of Skywalker, Updated and Expanded: Act III

https://makingstarwars.net/2019/05/...gle-world-in-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/

Rumors and Spoilers: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’s Flash Fights!

https://makingstarwars.net/2019/07/...-it-means-in-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/

https://makingstarwars.net/2019/08/...xplained/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Some were probably fake though

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  14. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    So, how long after TLJ does DOTF take place (or would have taken place)?

15. Xammer

Jan 31, 2009
    I seem to remember some sort of leak which I cannot find anymore and which I cannot reasonably put a date on, that said that the whole movie is basically the search for a communication beacon that when activated would restore hope to the galaxy (sort of like the Coruscant beacon plot in DOTF) and that there is no final confrontation with Kylo Ren and/or the FO and thus the trilogy has an open ending, as it ends with them broadcasting a message using that beacon. Does anyone remember this?

Some people say ten years, but I don't know what their source is.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yes, I remember that one. It ended with them sending out a message from... Luke, I think it was? I feel like that was one of the later ones, like late 2018-early 2019.

17. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Can't remember that leak and doubt an open end would have worked. Maybe fake?

10 years is a fans math based on some data in DotF script relating to R2 and a comment about 60 years of history that may or may not be accurate. Add to that that the script shows Hux with grey hair streaks and mentions Rey as a "full grown woman". So it was longer than 1 year but probably less than 10 years.

Xammer likes this.
  18. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    If the theme is is you actually done matter unless your family is famous then yes.

God I hate that choice so much.

Also those reddit stories of jj being pissed off are I think confirmed fake. And have we seen his other movies? Because tros is the most jj.

19. Voltron64

Voltron64 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2009
    Not gonna lie, a lot of that stuff in there would have given me so much feels.

20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

I agree that TROS looks very JJ, but I also think the rumors are partly true at least if maybe overblown. Sure haters would love such rumors but companies are complicated and a lot went on behind closed doors I bet. JJ is known to debunk rumors that turn out true later afterr all... like with Kaaaaahn for Star Trek!

21. Voltron64

Voltron64 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2009
    A Four year time-skip would a good idea, having it match in real-time like ANH and ESB or AOTC and ROTS.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  22. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Scripts and leaks aside, what would fans have wanted to see added in IX?

More important role or any at all for Broomboy?
    Return and revenge on D.J.?
    Bring in Mandalorians in some way? (other than their ships in Lando's fleet)?
    New Republic Senators meeting?
    Bothans?
    Canto Bight and its opportunistic war profiteers burned and base delta zeroed or overrun by an uprising of Broomboy?

And another question: While Tor Valum was on a Sith World... and the concept later changed to an Oracle on a muddy planet... and ultimately an Oracle on Mustafar before being cut... could it be that the Oracle while starting out as a dark side oracle was then turned neutral before being re-placed on Mustafar. Was the Oracle the one that made the prophecy of the Choosen One? That Jedi and Sith both interpreted differently, one as a Jedi savior, the other as Sith'ari?

Of course the Oracle mythologically would have had many roles and inspirations:
    -The famous ancient greek Oracle of Delphi (speaking in riddles and metaphors one has to interpret)
    -The arthurian Myth Lady in the Lake given it was situated in a muddy lake (much like the one near Yoda's home on Dagobah, though Maz Kanata already was a Lady of the Lake type figure in TFA with her castle near one)
    -many tales give the villain a prophet or prophetess aide forseeing the future and yet unable to help the villain to victory
    -a Prophet of the Dark Side?
    -a Bendu like creature (SW Rebels) that is unaligned and in the middle?
    -Alice in Wonderlands mushroom loving caterpillar
    -The Matrix Oracle character maybe too?
    Its weird design of a parasitic nightmarish creature feasting on an innocent slumbering if not dead giant child gave it a dark aura. But maybe that was a false interpretation of the image. Maybe the creature is bonded to heal the slumbering sick giant and whoever approaches it only sees what he wants to see telling more about him than the creature one shouldn't judge too soon... as Luke learned with Yoda.

Kinda like the Architect in Matrix was the antithesis of the Oracle, I think maybe this SW Oracle/Tor Valum may be the antithesis of the other oracle-esque figures we had like Yoda and Maz. There are many more paralells to the Matrix movies. In those too the hero revived and healed his love and ultimately died for the cause willingly like Ben. These movies too had a Crait-esque scenario and attack and many other similiar elements even aside featuring the same modern myth tropes and Campbellian structures as Star Wars. If one is trippy enough you might even paralell the Paasana festival to Matrix 2's rave-cave scenes. Neo and Mr. Smith, hero and bad guy too are like a dyad and mirror Rey and Ren here but not completely in the end. Morpheus the eternal believer is like Leia, mentor and keeper of the last straw of hope. TLJ for all its LOTR paralells also rhymes a lot with Matrix 2 and 3: The heroes loose the fleet and are chased to a hidden base that is then assaulted with overwhelming forces. Sideplots like Canto Bight happen with the Merovingian and Codebreakers or Keymakers being needed for the mission. The Architect even behaves and talks like Snoke in his throneroom.

It is interesting how SW paralells the best of other modern myths (LOTR, Harry Potter, Matrix, Shakespeare, etc.) as well as ancient Myths (Arthurian, etc.) and their endings all in one.

One might even see Hunger Games in TROS! Palpatine the children abducting gamemaker who loves to set up games where he controls both sides (TCW) has a new arena to play with (on Exogol) and sets up Ben/Kylo vs. Rey. Yet both defy the rules and do not want to kill each other. Rey throws her saber away. She only calls it back when Royal Guards swarm her to defend herself, not to attack. Working together they face him and force Palpatimne to cheat and break the rules and remove one from the board so the other would kill Palpatine in revenge. Yet Rey also defys that.
    In a way one might even see Rey pushing Finn back on the Death Star ruins and leaving her friends and allies behind as Rey abandoning the Resistance alltogether having learned that as long as she takes sides, she has to fight. Not taking sides anymore, like a true Jedi she went to Exegol and faced the ultimate Evil that forced the galaxy and people to take sides and fight each other instead of him! Much like in Hunger Games the districts fought each other instead of those making them fight each other! The Capitol is like Canto Bight... war profiteers enforcing a system where no matter what side you are on you benefit them.

Of course there is a lot more than all that in TROS and SW in general... All the Sith / All the Jedi... lineages of Choosen Ones... that and more invokes Avatar and Avatar Legend of Korra vibes which Rey had more than once. Including a new Avatar of the Choosen One, Rey, living alongside the lineage of the past Choosen One, the Skywalker family. Even training with them, trying to commune with the dead Jedi of the past. Pity Rey did not find her Asami and run into the sunset holding hands with Jessica Pava or Kaydel Connix... or even both for fairness sake! Damn Disney!!!

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like some certain elements in Duel of the Fates and although I haven't read the full script yet, some bits are dire, Rey Solana is actively worse than Rey Palpatine (at least Rey Palpatine ties into the larger story and history) and not to mention why the hell would that be a last minute deathbed confession? And Kylo force life leeching and then wait my bad. Hux being obsessed with using the Force is odd, I like how he's so petty he'd be the spy just to get back at Ren. Palpatine back is way better than whateverthehell that lizard guy is who doesn't know who Darth Plagieus is just to actively irritate me.

You can see elements of the script in Rise of Skywalker though but I think something the Force healing they went with was much more emotionally affecting. Kylo off on a side quest while the main movie happens with the First Order leaders is still there. I really wanted that Rey double bladed saber, though, it was right there dangit. Ditto Luke Force Ghost trolling Kylo

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyway, really cool imgur album with the script annotations

my kind of scum and Xammer like this.
  25. Darth-Krayt

Feb 25, 2018
    Does anyone know where the bonadan part of the dotf script could fit during tros?