main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If Star Wars was "Make your own canon"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Solister, Jan 27, 2020.

1. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Something that would be a game changer for the divergent canons would be the storyline for Star Wars: Underworld. This series sported a more direct involvement from Lucas, and actually had many scripted episodes. While I think it’s a stretch to say that Lucas’ rough ST treatments are exactly how it would have went down, having scripted episodes is much more final. Since the series would deal with young Han Solo and Palpatine, I expect some conflict with Solo and ROS.

Also, I’ve mainly discounted TCW because Dave Filoni has basically called it “legends.” When there’s canon conflicts, he says it’s because it’s just the same event being told from a different point of view (or something to that effect). He doesn’t let the films or especially the EU get in the way of his story, which is fine, but overall makes it a more disconnected medium.

2. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Consumption of Star Wars and authentication of what constitutes canon can also be loosened up a bit by perceiving that the signal we receive from a galaxy far, far away, from a long time ago, through one guy from Modesto, is necessarily going to be under sampled, clipped, degraded, and have artifacts and aliasing. The real sequence of events that really really occurred back then requires teasing out, extrapolation, interpolation, reconstruction. Don't just take someone's single word, or single sentence, or even single paragraph, for it.

cratylus, Sarge and SlashMan like this.
  3. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'd take I-VI, The Clone Wars, Solo, Rogue One, and The Mandalorian at the moment. I suppose all of the old-EU stuff that takes place before the prequels could come back too as long as it doesn't contradict much.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I count Clone Wars 2003, Dark Horse Republic and Dark Times comics, Clone Wars Adventures and books like Jedi Trial, Dark Rendezvous, and Shatterpoint as canon too.

TCW is tough. It technically fits under both Legends and Canon. I think some material from TCW is strictly Legends like the Gambit books and the Dark Horse TCW comics. That said, I do think some liberties taken in TCW were done for appealing to people who didnt like the era in the first place, so some of it I take with a grain of salt (like Anakin adopting his ROTS persona only like 2 months after AOTC).

5. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I strongly prefer the original clone wars cartoon, but I will readily admit that I haven't given TCW an actual chance. I've not even seen many complete episodes.

Darth__Lobot, Valiowk and Deliveranze like this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    - Episodes I-VI
    - The Clone Wars (including Son of Dathomir, Dark Disciple, and Crystal Crisis, along with all the unreleased arcs)
    - All known details on the Sequel Trilogy as envisioned by George Lucas
    - Underworld unreleased scripts
    - The Force Unleashed

- Parts of Rebels
    - Rogue One
    - Most of Solo
    - The Mandalorian
    - Assorted EU novels, comics, and video games (looking at you KOTOR, SWTOR, and Darth Plagueis!)

The bolded are the only things I consider "True Star Wars" and override everything else. I actually made a timeline to keep it all straight a few years ago that I keep updated.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    darkspine10 likes this.
  7. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I'm not sure I consider the original Clone Wars micro-series to be canon, but it's the one piece of film or television content outside of Episodes I to VI that I would have little problem considering canon if Lucas deemed it canon. It doesn't live up to my standards in some aspects (sometimes too black and white, focussed on the war, for children (these three points are understandable, considering that it aired on Cartoon Network), Anakin and Obi-Wan are too much in Clones mode until Anakin is knighted (also understandable, since Tartakovsky wouldn't have seen Sith yet and would be working off what he knew from Clones), Anakin and Obi-Wan don't really look right, nor does the voicing feel right (the script is fine, it's just the way they're voiced and their expressions shown that's a little problematic), and I dislike the part with Obi-Wan recommending that Anakin be knighted without taking the Trials), but it generally gets it: it maintains continuity excellently, the story doesn't feel ridiculous, nor do the characters feel out-of-character. I'm not sure I can say the same about significant parts of the 2008 The Clone Wars. (Although, to be fair, like you, I haven't seen many complete episodes of TCW either; this is just from the little I've seen of it. I was recommended to watch the Yoda arc for a sense of Lucas' ideas about the Force and the Whills, and wasn't impressed by those TCW episodes.)

A short digression: I find it amazing how packed the original Clone Wars micro-series is. Judging from the reaction to the announced Kenobi show being transformed from a film into a television series, many people seem to think that "longer = better". As someone who usually doesn't have the time to watch television series, I can't emphasise enough how much I prioritise quality over quantity.

An issue I take with TCW is the confusion of the likeability of a character with the quality of the characterisation. I see many people commenting that TCW Anakin is much more likeable than prequels Anakin, and claiming that this is the way Anakin should have been in the prequels, and this is my problem with TCW Anakin: I don't need Anakin to be likeable; I need Anakin to be Anakin! I feel for prequels Anakin, despite his faults; I don't feel for TCW Anakin.

Based on the Underworld test footage and what I read about it, I think I may have liked it enough to watch it and consider it canon, but it seems we'll never know now.

Like Darkslayer, all known details of the ST as envisioned by Lucas have become part of my personal canon.

The Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest, Legacy of the Jedi, The Last of the Jedi and Rebel Force series of books are an integral part of my personal canon because they are related to my favourite EU character Siri Tachi in some way or another. There are many other excellent EU books that I consider canon, but none of them others are that important to me that I would object to them being decanonised had Lucas directly contradicted them in his version of the ST.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  8. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I don't think it's a question of IF Star Wars is make your own canon. The better question is what makes your canon?
    For me, I accept the 11 movies as canon, but I only accept certain episodes and story arcs from The Clone Wars, and Rebels does not count for me at all. I'm withholding judgement on the Mandalorian until it's impact on the GFFA shakes out a little more.
    Then I add in my own interpretation of what's within my canon. For example, because I feel it has become so distant from the original trilogy, to me, the prequels feel more like research material as opposed to an integral part of the overall saga, but it's still part of my canon.
    Anything that contradicts the movies(Rebels....EVERY episode of Rebels) get dropped from my canon. I will also include EU items that do not contradict the movies.
    I love the EU stories about the Je'daii, and how the Sith and Jedi were born from it. I feel it adds a good level of context to Sith vs Jedi conflict of the movies, and since it takes place some 30,000 years before the movies, I accept it as canon.
    So what it all comes down to is, "To each their own"

9. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    I’m a cafeteria SW fan — I stick with the elements I love the most and consign the rest to in-universe legends. The only things that are strictly canon for me are the original trilogy and The Mandalorian — and truth be told, I’ll likely discard whatever of the latter becomes inextricably tied to the sequel films.

To be honest, I tend to watch the original and prequel films as separate trilogies — there’s too much visual incongruity between them for me to fully convince myself they’re unfolding in the same universe even with the excuse of changing social circumstances. My personal prequels canon does include the Jedi Apprentice books, if for no other reason than I liked them as a kid. TCW, enjoyable as it often is, remains thorny for me, and I’d be more inclined to keep certain characterizations than specific plot points.

The rest — Rogue One, the sequels, favored aspects of the old EU — I’m happy to feel mine for the elements I like and toss what doesn’t. Mine is a cobbled-together GFFA, I guess, but I’m fine with that.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m Egg Shen when it comes to my Star Wars canon. I take what I want and leave the rest, just like your salad bar.

And I have a couple of versions, one which fits better with existing material than the other.

PT, with this change in ROTS: Anakin kills adult Jedi in the Temple, and does not choke Padme. Instead, Anakin joins Palpatine after Padme was killed and he was led to believe the Jedi had neglected to save her.

TCW
    Rebels
    Rogue One
    OT
    NJO series. My canon would then end with Unifying Force.
    All Dark Horse comics in this era.
    PT/TCW era novelizations except for Dark Disciple.
    Mandalorian

My second version would be an Infinities story in which Anakin in ROTS was not stupid enough to join Palpatine, Mace sent Palpatine out the office window and saved the Jedi Order, and the Seeds of the Rebellion Senators restored the Republic.

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Luke is sad and defeated instead of grumpy and unlikeable in TLJ. Luke joins the Resistance in person and does not die. Rey and Kylo do not kiss. Jar Jar is less goofy in TPM. The early rebellion scenes in ROTS are in the film.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Adding one more novel to my canon:

Tatooine Ghost. Nicely bridges the OT and PT together.

13. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Watched the Mortis arc today. wish they could have included that in ROS.

Emperor Ferus and darkspine10 like this.
  14. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    This is me.

Even though I love ROTS because the story breaks my heart every time I watch it, I would only make a small tweak to Anakin's fall.

Emperor Ferus and Deliveranze like this.
  15. Saturn830

Saturn830 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2019
    Canon is whatever you use to make storylines for your action figures. Or your gaming group. I know I have my own cluster of a headcanon timeline for the franchise.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  16. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i find the distinction between sad and defeated and grumpy and dislikeable really interesting. Sounds like an issue with acting or maybe it was the direction..even if its an issue with the writing is i think its a very fine line myself

christophero30 likes this.
  17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    More the writing. The acting was good.

18. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    if it was that good (it was) im sure Mark could've changed grumpy to sad.. tho tbh he was probably grumpy about having no screen time in TFA

christophero30 likes this.
  19. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    1. I would leave Maul dead, chopped in two, and splattered at the bottom of that shaft.
    2. Prequels: The Descent of Anakin; Classic: Redemption of Vader; Sequels: Fall of Rey/Redemption of Ben
    3. Thrawn would have been in command at Exegol in TROS and Ezra Bridger instead of Lando would have saved the day

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In my headcanon, Jedi get decent haircuts.

21. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    My Cannon would be:
    KOTOR
    KOTOR 2
    Prequels (but Padme dies for a better reason than being sad)
    Clone Wars
    Rebels (except the last episodes. That time portal thing is dumb. Ahsoka dies fighting Vader)
    OT (mostly original versions, but ewoks blink, Jedi Rocks and Lapti Nek both take place, and the big celebration)
    Rogue One
    Holiday Special

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  22. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    My preferred canon:

KOTOR
    Episodes 1-3
    TCW
    Rebels
    Rogue One
    Episodes 4-6 (theatrical versions)
    Battlefront 2 (2017)
    The Mandalorian
    The new Marvel comics

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  23. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Prequels
    The Force Unleashed
    OT
    Shadows Of The Empire
    Clone Wars 2003 cartoon with dark horse comics
    Legacy comics
    Republic Commando
    Dark Forces Soldier for the empire.(Didn't like the follow up stories where Kyle became a Jedi)
    Starfighter game

And finally Space Balls.

Deliveranze and CampOfSorgan like this.
  24. Narancia

Narancia Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2020
    It's all canon in my eyes.

25. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    All the Old Republic EU stuff. Such as KOTOR, KOTOR 2, SWTOR, the Old Republic novels.
    Plagueis novel.

Can't really choose between the Clone Wars multimedia project and TCW. I like both a lot. Anakin vs Asajj on Yavin 4 in the Clone Wars microseries is incredible, and the knighting of Anakin in the microseries is also great. But again there's a lot to love in TCW.

The Lucas Saga. I-VI. Of course is canon.

Not really a fan of the Sequel Trilogy, so I don't consider that my personal canon.

While I love a lot of post-ROTJ EU stuff (namely Thrawn trilogy, NJO, Legacy comics), I don't necessarily consider them to be my absolute canon. They're just fun stories to read for me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    antitoxicgamer likes this.