main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I didn't want to scare them away. But than you have to be a little crazy to get this involved in any kind of fandom.

mysterycultist and gizkaspice like this.
  2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I bought a panini press on Amazon. After some shenanigans with Amazon marking it undeliverable, me ordering it again, Amazon delivering the original package anyway, and me scrambling to cancel the second order, I finally picked it up from the package office this afternoon. So far, it seems good. I'm going to have to experiment with how long to leave a sandwich in it; so far I left a grilled cheese sandwich in it for two minutes and a ham and Swiss panini for three minutes, and both came out good. I definitely have to get a different bread to use with it though; the Aunt Millie's Light Whole Grain bread is crushed to a thin crispy sheet by the press.

mavjade , gizkaspice and Lady_Misty like this.
  3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    and completely randomly, I had a dream in which I had to pack a panini maker into a suitcase last minute and discovered that I was still making grilled cheese sandwiches on it, which meant mozzarella EVERYWHERE.

I have no idea what to do with my brain.

4. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    *Finally getting to matters from the previous page. You can blame my delay on the sinus headache that has finally taken its leave.*

@mysterycultist : If there's anything specific you'd like to vent I'd want to hear it... I don't go to college so it WOULD be a good dead to educate me.

It's true that I went to college, and majored in English, but after too many years of the Real World punching me in the face and winning, I don't know that I'm equipped to educate anyone. As for the Oxfordians, I got that out of my system, and I think I have honestly given them as much attention as they deserve. They really are not worth the whistling. And I think you already have them pretty well sorted out. The Oxfordian theory does indeed reek of classism. It's got classism laid on it a foot deep, which I find bleakly amusing considering: the fact that plays were considered a middle-class art form at that time--real serious poets wrote sonnets (but! but! they say, that's why Oxford couldn't put out the plays under his own name!); or that Christopher Marlowe and Ben Jonson also came from relatively humble backgrounds.

(On that note, Jacobi comes from a working class background himself, which makes it all the more incomprehensible that he has thrown in with the Oxfordians.)

@DarthIshtar : If you ever get a chance, go see a play called Book or Will. It’s about the creation of the First Folio and the struggles that went into compiling Shakespeare’s prompting scripts and illegal transcriptions of the plays and combining them with the plays as remembered by the actors who originated the roles. I saw it last year at Utah Shakespeare Festival and the fact-checking I did corroborated the play as far as I could tell. It’s a remarkable show.

I was going to say that I haven't heard of that play before, but when I re-read the description, it sounds vaguely familiar, so perhaps I did read about it once somewhere online in passing. I'll try to see it if I ever have the chance--but since I live in rural Montana, I don't think it very likely. (Though I did see Mother Courage and Her Children a few years back--at the same community college where the Oxfordian was last known to teach--so you never do know.)

On a final Shakespearean note: I was just reminded of the existence of the Canadian tv show Slings & Arrows. Has anyone else seen that?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    mavjade and DarthIshtar like this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Interesting to hear about this Oxfordian controversy.

Morning, All

When you wrote, "-professor who was--and I would suppose continues to be, I honestly thought you were going to say, 'someone who went to Oxford', @Pandora

Welcome to the Boards, @mysterycultist

As for me, I was getting ready for work, 09:32, and noticed on my phone that I'd missed a text from the office.

Situation happening on the road outside my building. Everyone outside, eg. me, sort of hold position, as you won't be able to get in; everybody inside, wait for further communications.

I had to call the mini cab firm that usually drives me in, then look up online, what the heck is going on.

Police have cordoned off a wide area due to a suspicious vehicle...

My manager called me back. Everyone in building evacuated to a mall over the road.
    When I volunteered to take the morning off, he retorted, "Don't go booking any holidays!" [face_laugh]

10:45 Oh hold on. New text. Police have carried out a controlled explosion. Work is unsure if to send people home, as closest train station closed. They'll see what police say.
    Update at 11:00.

Mm.

Edit: 11:03 Okay-dokey, all clear. I just have to go in the back of the building.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Lady_Misty likes this.
  6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    @Pandora I have a boring day job, but on nights and weekends, I do arts reviews and got to do two days at Utah Shakespeare Festival, which is where I saw that play (and a game-changing version of Hamlet). I know companies around the country have done staged readings of it (we had people review those in a couple of states). Hope you get to see it sometime.

@Sith-I-5 Holy cow! What a morning! Glad you’re safe.

Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.
  7. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    @Sith-I-5 oh my gosh! Hopefully the police will get to the bottom of it. Do you think the story will make the Evening News?

Stay safe everyone; especially with those in the parts of the US getting bad weather.

DarthIshtar likes this.
  8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’ve got snow falling steadily today and am the only person happy about it. :)

Jedi Knight Fett and Lady_Misty like this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    @Sith-I-5 That's crazy! I'm glad it ended with everyone safe.

I had to do some fasting blood tests this morning and because my body is stupid, the process took almost 2 hours. When I finally got out, I stopped to get breakfast and a iced coffee, but something was up with the coffee because one sip and I got an instant headache. It went away pretty quick (thankfully) because I poured out the coffee.

I've got a couple things I have to do today around the house, but right now, all I want to do is remain cuddled in all my blankets and write fanfic.

The weather is pretty okay here for now, but it's supposed to start snowing later this afternoon and not stop for 24 hours. Which I'm fine with, mostly because I've got no need to leave the house.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Woah @Sith-I-5 that's some morning! Didn't something scary happen awhile back? (Or am I remembering incorrectly?) I'm starting to think you work in a dangerous place! I'm glad everything turned out okay!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  11. mysterycultist

mysterycultist Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2020
    @jcgoble3 Maybe an excuse to find a good bakery? I just moved and still haven't found the *right* baker for me, but my local grocery made some killer bread. Doesn't help that everything seems to go bad faster here and I'm paranoid about mold...

You know, that reminds me? I think I read this in The Lodger Shakespeare (Incidentally not my fave, makes some insane leaps, but there's some really detailed info!) that Shakespeare was really invested in social climbing, and at least one of his contemporaries thought he'd be a real gentleman if he hadn't been a playwright--like, that's what held him back. So it would've been REAL cruel of Oxford to lay that on him, lol. Also, it would've been mean of him to write a play called Hamlet after Billy's son Hamnet died :( I haven't seen Slings & Arrows, but it looks interesting, will keep an eye out for it!

I also just realized that I wrote "deed" as "dead" when I said I didn't go to college, which is funny. Oh well, not gonna edit it now.

@Sith-I-5 Oh my god? My job only had to evacuate us when people lit fires in the ladies' room! They did an explosion and still made you go in for work?

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    :) Thank you for the good wishes, everyone.

I couldn't really concentrate on things when I got in, and throughout the day, caught up on some people's experiences of the situation.

Generally, everyone that I know, is already in by time I *cough* roll in after ten *cough*, so I assumed I would be the only one not inside when I got the alert text; situation unfolded at least before 0900, so some colleagues were in the process of getting and getting stopped by train diversions, or one woman overheard her bus driver being told by 'control', what was happening up ahead, and getting turfed off the bus, well outside the security zone.

So, a wealth of different experiences.

Well, I have detected and challenged two intruders, although one was a young lady at the morning sandwich trolley, who apparently recognises no boundaries put before her when she's hungry, and followed it into a different company to the one that employed her.

I also fell afoul of the new door security system requirements, once, that required that if I used my card to open a door, I needed to go through it, whether I wanted to or not.

About 19:00 (7pm), I noticed some cleaners had gotten trapped by the new doors, and getting scared; I used my card to tap them out, and didn't realise that I had to go with them, and tap myself back inside.

So I got trapped inside the office till after 1am. :([face_worried] Now that is a morale killer, when you are motivated by the thought of "I am authorised to access these restricted areas", and that changes to "authorised or not, these doors can trap my butt, any time..."

mavjade and Lady_Misty like this.
  13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Wait, you have to use a security card to exit the building? And not everyone has one? Isn't that a fire hazard?

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Phew. I got through my deadline, which means I have earned a night off in a hotel with nothing to do but relax, watch a movie... oh, except the person I moved mountains to get tickets for a concert tonight for got sick and I’m going to be up there anyway, so I’m leaving 2 hours earlier than anticipated so I can drop off my bags at the hotel and run over to the concert at 7:30. It’s going to be a great concert, but that also means I have to write a review of it tonight at my hotel and write a review of another concert tomorrow as previously planned. It’s a lot of writing.

15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    So far in my linear algebra course, I've been doing matrix row operations manually in my head or by doing the arithmetic for each element individually on my calculator, which is time-consuming and error-prone. However, tonight I just figured out how to enter matrices into the calculator directly and how to use the provided functions to do row operations directly. So that's going to make my life much easier.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    So, I read on our work intranet, a report on our evacuation (second hand to me, as I was still at home).

Turns out it was a false alarm; an Uber Eats driver (ostensibly delivers food from takeaways and restaurants) had abandoned his car with a flat tyre.

I don't know what is in our area that warrants the authorities seeing a car parked with a flat tyre, and going all "Get the world down here!"

Yeah. I work later than I should, and get antsy if it starts looking like I am the last person on my floor. I prefer to have at least one more lifeform to go to, so they can tap me out if I get trapped.

I got panicky for the first few weeks after my ordeal, every time someone else got trapped, and came to me to let them out.

I would shut down my computer and bring my coat and bag, in case I got trapped outside, in the process of letting them out.

Oh, everyone has cards.

The old system, I surmised, was a card reader connected to magnetically-sealed doors (which I loved for the tie-in with a certain pressure maintenance hatch).

The new system, which I don't believe was fully explained...the new process that we had to follow, "Tap to go through a door", I honestly could not see how that differed from the old process, so I assume the cleaners and I didn't do or think any differently.

What wasn't explained, probably not to tax our brains, the poor lambs :p , was that there was a security system in the background now, that separated the floor into zones, and when you tapped a card on a Zone A door, it "thought" that the card's owner had proceeded into Zone B, which would prove to be news to those of us still standing in Zone A, and hoping to get through an A door anytime soon.

We have a lot of glass doors and 'walls', where one side of the glass is in Zone A, and the other side is in B. The cleaners just want to polish both sides of the glass, they don't necessarily want to step into Zone B for its own sake.

Tap Zone A door, push it open, step through enough to polish the other side of the glass, step back into A, and let the door re-lock....system thinks cleaner is in Zone B, whilst she is now trapped in Zone A, but doesn't know it yet.

In hindsight, I can see why no-one spelled out the implications; it'd be like trying to explain the multi-verse without a whiteboard.

Drokk yes, I suppose it is, now that you mention it.
    My risk assessment had stopped at 'going home' and 'little [gender] room', hazards

Kahara, Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Remember my relaxing night off? I discovered once I was two hours away from home that I’d forgotten my laptop cord and had to hunt down the business center in the hotel to write my review on their guest access computers. I’m now ready for real relaxation.

18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    On one hand it's almost funny that there was a huge panic over a car with a flat tire but on the other hand terrorists have used cars before and a car with a flat tire would seemingly have a good excuse to be left unattended.

I'd be paranoid too if I worked in a place like that and i would want/need the assurance that someone else was there if I was alone.

Can anyone recommend a good portable DVD Player?

Kahara likes this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, you prompted me to see if I could log onto my Amazon account through my phone, to see if I could find the portable dvd player sitting next to me, among my order history.

I found the one that this one replaced: Philips DCP951 9" Portable DVD Player, Tablet Design With Integrated (dunno how this ended, I copied this off the webpage).

Lady_Misty likes this.
  20. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    My SIL Dany recommended that TE and I get one for our upcoming trip to Utah to see Kathy's baby to suppulment Disney+ since there's going to be things that Evan, finally decided on a Internet name for the Youngling, is going to want to watch that aren't going to be available on Disney+ and also to give the iPad/tablet a break.

There's just so many options to choose from and I would like more input than my personal preference of it being under $60 and being able to plug it in to charge/alternate power source because maybe it will be worth it to spend more if it's going to be worth it.

Kahara likes this.
  21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    One of the perks of my job was that you get a company car, well today I got it! It's a brand new 2020 Nissan Rogue.
    Never in my life have I driven a new car, I've always had (and so have my parents) used cars so I was so paranoid driving it home. I mean it was 5:30 pm in NYC so traffic was intense and people drive like there are no rules.

It is kinda bitter sweet, though. My car was the first thing I bought with my first 'real adult job' and the first major purchase I ever made. She's been through 4 jobs and two major moves with me. I'm selling her tomorrow, and I know she's an inanimate object, but it kinda makes me sad.

22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sweet new wheels Mav! Though I totally get what you mean, getting rid of a trustworthy car is hard! Though I hope you enjoy the new car (though you couldn't pay me enough to drive in a city like NYC).

Yesterday I tried Wheelchair Rugby for the first time and I absolutely LOVED IT! It was so much fun! I think I've found "my" sport! For those who don't know, Wheelchair Rugby was created by and for quadriplegics (you can only play competitively if you have three or more limbs affected by a disability), so it's really something I can do. I'm getting better at
    tennis (I'm still awful, but not nearly as bad as basketball). We are talking about getting a group together to try out rowing and fencing, but I'm really interesting in getting more into rugby (though if I do, I'm going to need to get a bigger vehicle! It's already like 'wheelchair Tetris' when I give my friend a ride, but if I end up getting seriously into rugby and getting my own rugby chair, there won't be enough room!).

On a completely unrelated and far less fun note, I think I also got food poisoning or a stomach flu in the past few days. I woke up at 5:30 this morning so sick and haven't been able to keep much down besides toast and tea. It's gross.

Kahara, mavjade , Lady_Misty and 2 others like this.
  23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Rugby sounds like a great fit for you. I, myself, am a volleyball enthusiast in spite of being short. I’m very good at serving. When I was in missionary training, competition was forbidden, but we played volleyball so enthusiastically that it was a health risk.

24. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Kahara, mavjade and Lady_Misty like this.
  25. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    @mavjade are you going to nickname it One or after one of the Rogue One Characters?

@Briannakin glad you found a sport that you can do and enjoy doing.

Kahara, jcgoble3 and DarthIshtar like this.