main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Yoda/Dooku fight was originally a lot different

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Havok176, Dec 21, 2019.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Strange, because I feel like Lucas intentionally didn't put as much focus on Yoda's lightsaber prowess in the Sidious duel for precisely this reason. He gave us a good little reprise of what we saw in Attack of the Clones so we wouldn't feel cheated, but he pulls back the perspective on it so the emphasis is more on the larger spectacle of these two titans of the Force dueling in the middle of the Senate chamber as the podium rises from the floor. He then dispenses with both of their lightsabers so they can fight more directly with their Force powers. He knew we were no longer seeing Yoda use a lightsaber for the first time, so he couldn't just rely on that to maintain interest. He didn't try to do the exact same thing.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  2. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Just a comment to my previous comment. You can see why Siddy was unsatisfied with Dooku as his apprentice.

3. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    The reaction to anything in Star Wars since 1997. The audience clapped and cheered in theaters, and then said it was stupid online and with their friends so they could make themselves seem cool.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Exact same experience for me. The reaction to Yoda with a saber in Clones was insane in theaters. I’ve seen other moments in other movies get reactions, but nothing like that.

5. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I know people who hated Attack of the Clones yet found the Yoda duel to be a highlight.

6. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    My theater broke out in gasps and shout of "yes!" when you heard Yoda's stick tap-tapping on the ground. I think the uproarious applause and cheering started with the light saber flying into his hand from his belt and never let up until the end of their fight. Just a great moment.

Don't even mention the Yoda/Sidious duel. Again, at every step of their confrontation, people cheered each and every trash-talking one-liner. When the fight proper started, again it was all cheers.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Spot on, really not much more to be said!

8. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Its really a matter of perspective. I'm really glad for people to be in theaters and watch this scene enveloped in applause and cheering from the whole room, must have been an amazing experience. I'm from that generation that saw Yoda as an incredibly powerful Force user, more than a guy that will be crazily jumping around in a lightsaber duel, so this represents quite a bit what I expected:
    Still I went to the cinema with an open mind, only to find that scene laughed and mocked by the audience, especially the "combat stance" Yoda made before the fight. It happened to me twice, so you would understand that my context of it was completely different to the ones described here. Still, I´m glad many of you got to enjoy it.

Jarrus likes this.
  9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Hurl rocks and shoot lightning? Personally, I was blown away by Yoda's power in the moment when he deflects and absorbs Dooku's force lightning with his bare hand. NO other Jedi before or since has ever been shown doing that in the Saga. That was one of THE highlights for me in this fight.

Oh and count me in having the same experience in theaters with the crowd going wild every time Yoda came out and all throughout the fight. They whooped and hollered and cheered anytime I saw the film with more than a few people in the theater (I saw it ten times in 2002).

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Sorry, but I don't really believe this happened. It just sounds like a thing people (who always seem to dislike the scene) come up with to counteract all the (much more common) stories of entire audiences cheering.

KyleKartan likes this.
  11. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    What ulterior motive could I possibly have to lie about something like this? I just said I'm glad you and others had such an experience, and I'm explaining why for me its different. The scene is not better or worse because it was or not cheered, and its not objectively better or worse because one likes it or not. I understand if you have a hard time imagine it if you lived an opposite reaction from the crowd, but going from there to say that I'm lying just to "lure people to my side" is... well, surprising to see in this forum, to be honest.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Jarrus likes this.
  12. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    When I went to the cinema on pre-opening night (for a midnight showing) "Yoda fights" was the only spoiler I'd heard. I doubted it a little and wasn't sure how to feel about it. It did look a bit silly and crazy, but even the people who didn't like it actually kind of thought it was cool. The exceptions were people who didn't like the new movie at all. I mean the theater laughed when Anakin and Padme's kiss was interrupted and the music stopped, but they still liked the movie. It's just that some parts of the film had a comedic side to them, and this was one.

I remember a few people bursting into cheers when Anakin started killing Sandpeople. Not many, but a few. I assume the rest of us understood he was having a dark side episode.

13. Triad Moons

Triad Moons Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 14, 2020
    (Man, y'all making me salty I never saw AOTC in theaters ;_;.)

That said, I remember being a bit shocked that Yoda was given a fight sequence at all. I had no real preconceived notions of what Yoda was or was not (what he would or wouldn't do), but watching him pull out the Lightsaber in a TV Spot and then finally watching the entire sequence on a VHS rental, I remember being uncertain about how I felt about it. Mostly because my dad was cracking up watching Yoda hop around Dooku.

The way people reacted to, as I remember it, was definitely treated like the highlight of the film even admit the criticisms the film got. Didn't it win a MTV movie award for "Best Fight" or am I confusing that with Gandalf/Saruman fight from FOTR?

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, I don't believe that there was some kind of equal-but-opposite, theater-wide response that was the mirror image of the much more widely reported theater-wide response. It makes no sense. Sorry. Just my personal reaction to your post. No offense intended.

15. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    I appreciate the clarification. Still, I'm surprised its so out of the question for you. Where I live cheering in a theater is rare enough, so I've only lived one standing ovation (and that was the closing scene from a New Hope in 97, a special moment for me ever since). Even by those standards, I left the theater annoyed by what I felt a lack of respect displayed by some people towards the other viewers and the movie itself. Was it the whole theater in unison? certainly not, the theater wasn't even full... but it was far from isolated, and there was no positive reaction to counteract it: the first time, it was quite noticeable. In fact, there was absolutely no cheering for the Yoda/Dooku scene in the 3 times I went to see the movie back in 2002. Just different realities in this curious world we live in.

Jarrus likes this.
  16. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    What an amazing end scene we received. I remember going to the midnight showing and Yoda's performance made many cheer. Too bad he didnt capture Dooku right there but there would be no prolongated Clone War. I think they did a great job on the fight, yes it still can be scene as a little silly, but it turned out great. Many years awaiting this moment for Yoda...fantastic!

17. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I agree, I was far.more impressed by Yoda, Catching a Senate pod with the force to a dead stop, starting it spinning and throwing it back a Palpatine(the spinning stabilizing the flight of it) than the actual saber fight part.

18. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    That was an amazing act of the Force. The saber clash in both films was well done. Did Dooku use two sabers in the fight originally?

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The Yoda/Sidious duel was crazy. When I saw ROTS, people were still going crazy over it even after the movie had ended.

20. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    the title of this thread is very misleading :p

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The Clone Wars series shows us just how practical lightsabers are. Most of the time the easiest way for Yoda to defeat an enemy is using a lightsaber.

When it was just the films I though Dooku and Yoda were so powerful that their powers were a check to each other. Even if their powers were beyond lightsabers, fighting against each other their powers resulted in a draw. So it went back to lightsabers.

22. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I always had the feeling that it was anything but a draw. Dooku quickly realized that he couldn't take on Yoda in such a way, as Yoda easily deflected everything he threw against him, even mocking him in the process. Yoda just never really went on the attack beyond deflecting Dooku's lightning back towards him once. Then Dooku switched to lightsabers, and was still on the backfoot most of the time, to the point that he had to create a diversion to get away.