main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Would you be up for a Han Solo TV show that continues the events of the movie?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Apr 13, 2019.

1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Ok.
    People were touchy about Aldin's Han Solo, mainly because of how ingrained Harrison Ford is into that character.

But I think folks generally thought that Donald Glover was an excellent call for Lando. Making him the centre of attention would be very well received, I think.

2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Ehh, I dig Glover's performance a whole lot (if not so much the smarmy-seeming guy himself), but not really sure how he's any closer to Billy Dee or whatever than Alden is to Harrison. Seems rationally one would have to have the same problem with both, if they have a problem with one.

All for Glover-Lando returning though, absolutely. Not sure he needs to be the prime focus though. Especially if they're picking up the whole Jabba/Tatooine/gangsters thread from the end of the movie, if Lando's involved in that you'd figure it would be fairly tangentially at least in comparison with Han.

If they're revisiting this stuff, keep it a Han/Chewie focus, just you know, throw Boba and Dengar and all those guys into the mix as major players too. Not to say Lando can't be involved, but kinda seems he was less directly involved in all the hands-on swindling & violence than Han & Chewie. Probably prefers to be behind the scenes, winning card games and building power/influence/wealth.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Twain likes this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Them trying to make Lando pansexuel [hate speech removed] almost ruined the whole thing for me. Keep real world politics out of Star Wars! Galactic politics? Fine, but don't theow all these pander-y ideas into an escapist universe.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2020
    CernStormrunner likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    well he likes robots, no harm in that and i don't think L3 comments was to be meant literal.

Sarge and Emperor Ferus like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    People having fluid genders in a hyper-advanced galactic civilization with a quazilliontrillion people is “real world politics” somehow? My response is: keep your hyper-narrow view of what’s comfortable to you on Earth out of a galaxy far, far away. If it’s too big for you, bunker down on Tatooine.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  6. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Ehh, zero problem with the (very ambiguous and left-up-in-the-air) Lando-might-be-into-metal-chicks thing, personally.

Whatever. If any GFFA character we know's going to have broad horizons, it'd be the Land-man.

7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    You read an awful lot into that. We've talked multiple times Bor, you know I'm a bit of a Lucas purist. It's not needed - you are changing something very important about a character that is decades old, without the consent of that character's creator. That's my big hangup. It just feels pander-y. If it had been part of Lando since 1980 I wouldn't have objected.

Take Batwoman for example - you won't see me get annoyed over that because her being lesbian has always been part of the character.

I do know our views can differ during our debates, but I do respect you, so all I ask is the same in turn. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    CernStormrunner likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right, but the issue is that we only barely got to know Lando as a character in the OT, and so his portrayal didn’t contradict anything. It’s the same as saying “George never said Han was a former Imperial grunt so they shouldn’t have him be an Imperial grunt.” Or that Anakin was once a slave. More backstory is more character story.

9. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    So, Google of late has pitched me a couple of articles assuring us that Alden is being recast. However, I'm unsure about the credibility of the sources (and hoping they're wrong). Has any reliable news been picked up on this front?

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's another We Got This Covered story. Ignore it.

12. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Apparently some Mod on the r/starwars Discord Server claims to have sources that says that we will get a Solo Sequel focusing on Qi'ra and Lando (With Maul and Han appearing). This mod is apparently is also friends with Jeremy Conrad/Manabyte but claims to have a second source who says the same as his source.

Take it with a grain of salt but I thought it was worth to share, I hope it's true atleast.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Lando series starring Donald Glover with Billy Dee's Lando used as a framing device for the episodes. Glover could even be the showrunner. It's perfect!

14. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Alden's poor performance as Han has little to do with not reminding me of Harrison Ford or being a younger, different version of Han. It has to do with being a radically boring performance in comparison to the other actors around him. Han should never come off as dull; in fact, we'd expect him to be more rebellious, not less, than what we saw in ANH.

Part of this certainly has to do with the dull writing of Solo, but also Alden just doesn't really pop off the screen the way other actors in the film do -- and this is a real problem considering he's the main character and Harrison Ford popped off the screen so well.

While I admit better writing could help, I just think someone with more charisma is needed.

Glover on the other hand delivers everything we would expect of Lando, so to compare the two as somehow being similar performances is bizarre.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Lando would be emphasized in the upcoming material, and we also shouldn't be surprised if there's a Han recast. I will admit a final time that I wouldn't mind see Alden play Han once more with better writing. I still suspect he'd be a little too stiff and too clean for it though.

15. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

A) What's "very important" about Lando only being into human women? That's neither indicated/hinted at either way in Empire or Jedi, nor would anything from either movie clash with the oh-so-very-vague/noncommittal hinting in Solo. All we know about Lando's personal life is he likes shiney expensive high-life things, and he's a confident womanizer. If any of the human characters we've seen in any of the trilogies is going to be open-minded & Freddie frickin' Mercury-esque, gettin' jiggy with anything that moves, it'd be Lando.

B) All indicators are that George dug Solo. Harrison and Billy Dee did. You have your views/take, fine, but maybe don't baselessly try to attribute it to "George wouldn't approve!" You're pulling that out of your butt.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    The Chalk Jedi and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I can admit when I'm wrong, so fair enough. I guess I was just going off my gut.

Please do keep in mind though that overall I liked Solo. There were only a couple of things that bothered me. It's definitely not Rogue One quality, but it was a solid effort.

I think the only thing about it that truly bugged me was the Aurra Sing thing. It directly contradicts one of the untold stories from Clone Wars. But other than that I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

darkspine10 and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    "Untold stories" would denote "not-canon, but Legends" though, right?

Is what it is.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    No, Pablo directly said those stories were considered canon.

darkspine10 likes this.
  19. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Except in recent Western culture, gender and sexuality have always been more ambivalent in other cultures -- for example, many indigenous tribes have valued transgender or non-binary individuals as shaman or holy people. So the idea that gender _has_ to represented as recent Western conservatives want it is thoroughly political; to represent gender and sexuality as fluid is just representing human history and reality accurately, and shouldn't be seen as an inherently political concept.

Go, Lando! You do it with whoever, or whatever, wants to do it with you. :)

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Would I be up for it? Of course. But I wouldn't advise Disney to make it.

Instead, I'd just have the characters appear in the Cassian show to give it a boost at some point. Similar time frame after all.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I have no problem with the alluded death of Aurra Sing, sure she might have been considered to killed in Clone wars, but then Filoni touht nah we might tell more stories with here. i mean she could live for 10 mores years after the clone wars. we know from aftermath trilogy that she thought her niece how to be a bounty hunter. I could also see her survive the fall, i mean how many characters hve survived ther supposed fall.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I want Aurra Sing to come back on The Mandalorian cuz Mando and Greef would both do a great job saying, "I thought you were dead."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'd really like to see a Han & Chewie series, especially if it was based on the Brian Daley novels. I'd also like to see a Lando series, though they really couldn't adapt the L. Neil Smith books, since those were set before "Solo".

Sarge likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Alden was fantastic as Han and I think he deserves a shot at rehabilitating the unearned poor reputation he has in fandom due to the Solo “flop” narrative. If Glover’s up for it, I’d love a Han and Lando show.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  25. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I kinda think if you're going to do it it's better to go more of an ensemble route this time around. Han & Chewie front-and-center, yep, but now in Jabba's employ with Tatooine as "home base" for the show, branching out on jobs from there. Featuring Boba, Dengar, whoever else works for Jabba (maybe even that evil Wookiee dude from the new comics). Lando would be a part of it, but probably more of a not-in-every-episode-hanging-with-them type of role, more a trusted go-to guy every now and again.

Get into all that Maul/Qira V.S. Jabba goodness, set up a whole 1930s Chicago Al Capone dealio in the Outer Rim. A Han & Chewie show yes, but it's not so much "The Han & Chewie Show" as the Mandalorian is the Din Djarin show.

Best of both worlds. Broaden out the appeal for those who maybe didn't see or didn't dig Solo, but those of us who did still get the continuation.

CernStormrunner and Bor Mullet like this.