main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @gaarastar58 Yes, Dooku used a curved hilt lightsabre whilst in the jedi order.

My "source" being that either his fighting style was made to complement the curved hilt, or the other way around.

2. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Does anyone know of the existence a good Clone Wars timeline - official or otherwise? New canon I guess since the other one would be impossibly complicated. I'm specifically looking to try and index dates against each other.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If you have the Essential Star Wars Atlas, for some odd reason, the writers did that for a couple of their galaxy map pages, so that anyone who cared, could presumably track the rate of territory being lost or conquered.

Have you tried Wookiepedia?

4. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    I have another question regarding my personal fanfiction. In my story, Darth Maul is the supreme commander of the separatist droid army and has Count Dooku killed so that he could take control of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Maul's plan is to use the massive droid armies to destroy the Republic, Jedi, and Sidious and rule the galaxy himself. My question is regarding the mega-corporations that whose leaders were on the Separatist Council but were playing both sides in order to maximize profits. This includes the Trade Federation, Banking Clan, and Techno Union. Would it be possible for Maul to compel/coerce the Separatist leaders to have their corporations completely withdraw from the Republic so that the Sidious would no longer have the financial means to support the Republic's war efforts. Here are some things I thought about:

1.) These corporations were critical the to the financial and economic systems of both of the Republic and Confederacy. Count Dooku allowed these corporations to play both sides so that they could make as much money as they could. On one hand, Maul would still need to make sure the Separatist leaders were financially happy until the end of the war in order for them to keep supporting the Separatists. Threatening the leaders could jeopardize the Confederacy's alliance with these corporations; if they had to support only one side, they would prefer to support the one that they could more easily manipulate. On the other hand, the Separatist leaders where already in too deep that they couldn't just come running back to the Republic.

2.) After the war ended and Separatist leaders were killed, the Trade Federation and other corporations simply shut down their droid armies after Anakin sent out a message. If the corporations lacked the backbone to maintain their droid armies and keep fighting, they might be easily compelled into withdrawing from the Republic. In the Revenge of the Sith comic book, the Separatist leaders shut down their droid armies at Sidious' request prior to Anakin arriving on Mustafar and killing them.

3.) Dooku and the Separatists are likely to have maintained records of all the business dealings and conspiracies with the corporations' Republic representatives like Lott Dodd. It could be possible for Maul to blackmail the corporation senators in the Republic into withdrawing or else send the information to the Senate and exposing them such that they could no longer maintain the facade of neutrality.

4.) Another idea I had was that Maul could reveal to the Separatist leaders that Palpatine is really Sidious and that he was planning on betraying them. This revelation could provide the corporate leaders more incentive to withdraw from the Republic so as to not provide Sidious any more support.

As always, a penny for your thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    pronker likes this.
  5. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    In that scenario, the corporation factions would just split. Each major corporate alliance contained hundreds or even thousands of mega-corporations that each functioned mostly independently. Kuat Drive Yards, for example, was part of both the Trade Federation and the Techno Union, but still built a huge portion of the GAR's ships and ground vehicles. So if Maul forced the various corporate alliances to explicitly take sides they would likely tear apart explicitly instead of implicitly. The ultimate deviation would probably be modest at best. The corporatist senators would not long be able to provide cover for Dooku and the fracturing of the alliances would reduce corporate synergy galaxy-wide as a whole, which would probably prolong the war, but I don't think it would give any one side a substantial advantage.

One thing of note with regard to an alternative CIS that's trying it's utmost to win - it is absolutely imperative for any CIS victory to happen quickly. The industrial capacity of the Core vastly exceeds that of the Rim, so long as the Republic remains committed to prosecuting the war (which is forever unless Sidious is assassinated) the CIS will be built under and crushed. In the new canon timeline Grievous tries to prevent this by choking off the galaxy's supply lines, but fails when the Republic allies with the Hutts (yes, the CIS arguably loses the war in the very first TCW plotline). In fact, the ideal CIS post-Geonosis strategy might well be an all-out assault on Coruscant determined to kill Palpatine, bombard the planet (which would kill trillions and cripple the galactic economy) and convince a shell-shocked Senate to sue for peace. Also, these seems like the sort of strategy that would appeal to Maul personally.

pronker likes this.
  6. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    I am glad that you brought up the Hutts because I had a similar question about an idea for how Maul could deal with them that I wanted to run by the community. In my story, Maul initially takes efforts to prepare for his rise prior to assassinating Dooku. Maul learns from his sources within Black Sun about how Ziro the Hutt possesses incriminating information on the entire Hutt Clan (I felt that this would be appropriate since Ziro has a giant Black Sun tattoo on his belly). Maul is the one who hires Cad Bane this free Ziro from Republic prison rather than the Hutt Clan so that he could get his hands on the information. Maul through his methods of persuasion is able to obtain the data diary with all the Hutt Clan’s crimes. After Maul takes control of the Confederacy, he reaches out to the Hutts and threatens to expose their crimes to the Republic Senate if they did not break off their alliance with the Republic and support the Separatists. Under these circumstances, the Republic would no longer have access through the Hutts territory and lose their supply routes to the Outer Rim. The Hutts were never partial to either side in the war; Jabba still did business with Count Dooku even after he conspired to kidnap his son Rita. Does this seem plausible?

7. SynCrow

SynCrow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    Hey guys, I want to write my first SW fan fiction soon. I have over a decade of experience in FF writing so I know what I'm doing for the most part, but what's always kept me away from SW writing is that the time periods I'm interested in are always already well-accounted for with the books and comics. I like to make sure whatever writing I do fits in with established canon for the respective universe, and Star Wars tends to require a lot of research to ensure I can make sure it fits with canon. Added to the fact the Sith weren't seen for a thousand years before TPM, it means I probably can't create Sith Lords before TPM where the history is a little less explored, meaning I'm struggling to find what to focus on.

Anyone have any ideas on what time periods may be the easiest to research/ cover before I go into writing a story? I'm considering post-TROS so I can just go nuts with whatever I want to do, but before that, I'd like to do a few, smaller stories to find my footing.

I could always go the AU-route but I like to avoid that if possible.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you have any idea what's your story is going to be about? If it OC:s and/or lesser used characters running around in sectors with only couple of named planets so can you put it whenever you want

9. SynCrow

SynCrow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    I don't yet, no. I've got some ideas that came to me after my initial post in this thread, so when I get some time I'll be making sure it fits in with the timeline/ canon and I can make it work. I'll probably want to focus on Jedi/ Sith events, maybe some bounty hunter stuff which would be much easier since I'd be free to do mostly what I want.

10. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    One thing worth noting is that you can freely create or borrow a not-actually-Sith dark side affiliated organization to fight the Jedi in pretty much any time period, and they can even use lightsabers. The Legends EU did this all the time. In some ways if you're dealing with some sort of local or regional threat and not an 'the entire galaxy is in peril!' storyline this actually makes more sense.

SynCrow and Gamiel like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Fanon Thread has some different Force traditions you can use as the bad guys, either as they are or as fallen members of that tradition. Here are links to some of them:

BRE, Findswoman and pronker like this.
  12. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks @Gamiel and @Mechalich for the help, I'll check those resources out and get planning soon.

Also - it turns out the SynCrow account was a sock I'd made, I'd actually made this account long ago and forgotten about it. Just so there's no confusion, I'll be going by this account now.

Sith-I-5 and pronker like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm looking for a planet that was at least semi-rich but sometime before the movies-era (up to 200 year but preferably a bit later) had their economy taking a deep dive and is still in economic trouble. Any suggestions?

14. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    Hello there, so I was having some thoughts about Order 66 and how to make it make sense in my eyes that I wanted to run by the public:

In the new canon, Order 66 is carried out by biochips implanted in all the clones' brains that causes them to turn on the Jedi. The issue I have is how the chips are activated. It appears we are still going with Palpatine contacting the clones and having them execute Order 66. This implies that there has to be a codeword or voice activation. The problem with this, in my eyes, is that Palpatine would have to activate the chips by contacting each individual clone in the Republic Army in order for Order 66 to be carried out.

In order to rectify this, an idea I had was that the Kaminoians would develop a singular transmitter that, when activated, would send out a signal to all the clones' chips in order to activate Order 66. This transmitter would be handed over to the Supreme Chancellor, who would activate it when the time was right. This would eliminate the need for Palpatine to contact each clone battalion individual as Order 66 would commence for all clone units at exactly the same time.

Thoughts?

15. Mechalich

Feb 2, 2010
    Every clone in the GAR has a receiver in their helmet. The Order 66 code-word (which is probably just 'execute Order Sixty-Six') can easily be relayed across operational theaters using standard all-points messaging protocols. RoTS does show that Palpatine spent some time contacting a number of high-ranking clone commanders, probably one per each sector group, as part of triggering the order.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. Grievous2003

Jan 31, 2019
    As I previously established, in my fanfiction Maul assumes control of the Confederacy of Independent Systems and uses the droid armies to take over the galaxy. I recently came up with an idea for how Maul can deal with Sidious that I feel is plausible but might involve too much hindsight that I wanted your opinion on:

In Legends, Maul's final test involved him being stranded on Hypori and fighting for his life for a month in 37 BBY. After the time, Sidious challenged his apprentice to a duel, one which the weak, wounded and famished Maul quickly lost. Sidious then tossed Maul's lightsaber aside and told Maul that he had failed, and revealed that he had been secretly training another apprentice to replace Maul the entire time. Rage and hatred overwhelmed Maul and, in one final act of defiance, he lunged forward and sunk his teeth into his master's hand. As he spat the blood back into his master's face in contempt, Maul realized he was no match for the Dark Lord. However, by wanting to kill his master, Maul passed the final test.

For my idea, Maul preserves the piece of flesh he had bitten off from Sidious' hand. Years later, he enlists the aid of the nightsisters and Mother Talzin to help him destroy Sidious. Maul gives the piece of Sidious' flesh to Talzin, who uses it to create a voodoo doll to torture and kill Sidious as she tried to do with Dooku. I feel this is plausible in that during Maul's final test he enjoyed the thought of wanting to kill Sidious but knew he couldn't kill him on his own. Maul would also be familiar with the Nightsisters' magics and that Sidious' flesh could be key to destroying him. Of course, Maul wouldn't have the whole plan set up at this point but would likely take Sidious' flesh as a precaution if his master was actually going to betray him. It would be another 16 years from the time of his Hypori test that he would turn to Talzin.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Something that might be of help are the threads: Useful Tools and Resources for Writers, and, if you need help/inspiration creating your own planet, Star Wars Planets

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    pronker likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    As mentioned, and linked to, in the post above do we have a thread for discussing creating/developing planets and I was wondering if we a thread for discussing creating/developing species and/or cultures? Also, if we don't have one should we creat one, or should we just ask that kind of questions here?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    gizkaspice, pronker and Tarsier like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any suggestions on how to write a phonetic Swedish accent?

pronker likes this.
  20. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    The most noticeable aspect, IMHO, is that the 's' doesn't become voiced at the end of many words to imitate a 'z' sound, such as *phonetic* "He iss handsum" v. "He iz handsum." In other words, Swedish to English grammar is very near perfect and the 's to z' lack, due to 's' great percentage in English words such as plurals, pops up a lot. The word 'kisses' in English is *phonetically* 'kissez' and an accent would have it 'kissess.' Can you tell it's near St. Valentine's Day? :D

Tarsier and Gamiel like this.
  21. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since nobody have mentioned an existing thread do I take it that non exist.

Activating the Mods-signal* so I can ask: should discussions for creating/developing species and/or cultures have it's own thread (like with planets), or should it be done here

* a.k.a. tagging @Briannakin , @Mira_Jade and @mavjade

23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Either here or the Scribble Pad would be the best place since I don't think there is enough traffic right now to justify having a thread specifically for that, but if you wanna PM us with a proposal we can talk about it more in-depth.

24. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Gamiel and gizkaspice like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    @Kurisan

Old Hungry
    Haaganti
    Mammon
    Turner's Maw
    [System's name] Bane
    Big Black
    Lost Hope
    [Star's name] End

Kurisan, gizkaspice and pronker like this.