main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why didn't Obi-Wan or Yoda tell Luke about the Midi-chlorians?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Dec 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Obi Wan kinda forgot

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I wish GL forgot them too.

3. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    There are only covered on the last day of Jedi training and the last chapter of the sacred texts. Yoda wasn't planning on screening younglings for force potential, he probably wasn't planning on getting Luke to do it either, so it didn't matter about them.

Luke didn'e complete his training, so didn't know then. Then realised he never actully finished reading the sacred texts, hence his reaction when he thinks Yoda has BBQ'd them.

There we go, simple in-universe explanation, with out analysing novels, scripts or anything else.

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Or we can just assume Yoda talked about lots of things beyond what we saw him tell Luke in the mere minutes of screen time that is devoted to his training, that midi-chlorians were among the things talked about, and we just weren't shown it because it wasn't relevant.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  5. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Or we could assume that the task at hand, requiring Luke to get his mind right in a short amount of time, needed a streamlined form of training that didn't involve something that wasn't important or pertinent to the end goal.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Doompup likes this.
  6. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    ''Life creates it, makes it grow.'' Yoda

Playing from the certain point of a view card. This could be read as midi-chlorians.

7. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    It takes like forty seconds to give a basic explanation of what midi-chlorians are and why they're important. There's no reason to think Yoda didn't tell Luke about them during an intensive Jedi training program. It's like thinking Anakin never learned that the Force is an energy field just because we never saw anyone telling him about it.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  8. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    40 wasted seconds that have no relevance to what is needed. Yoda was never hung up on the midichlorians anyway.

Bob Effette and Sarge like this.
  9. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Midi-chlorians are featured prominently in the TCW arc where Yoda learns the path to immortality. They're described as an essential part of what makes it possible. He has to travel to the very "birthplace" of midi-chlorians in order to learn the secret. So he was certainly "hung up on" them by the time of the OT. Remember that Yoda is Qui-Gon Jinn's apprentice.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  10. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    Traveled that far for something you can learn in 40 seconds? Sounds like a waste for something not all that important.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    1. we don't know the didn't. pretty sure there was a lot offscreen we didn't see.
    2. they have nothing to do with being trained

12. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    Well it's all make believe so if it wasn't written in then it didn't happen.

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    You can learn the basics in forty seconds. You can probably learn the basics of Buddhism in forty seconds. That doesn't mean it's not all that important.

The discussion was about whether midi-chlorians were important or relevant, and whether Yoda was "hung up on" them or not.

I had no idea all the characters had such strong bladders.

14. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    Lol. Touché.

15. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    How do we know he didn't? What the film doesn't show very well, is that Luke was training for a couple months with Yoda.

Luke left Hoth at pretty much the same time as Han and Leia did in the Falcon. He used his hyperdrive to get to Dagobah. The Falcon ran from the Empire at sublight speed first to the asteroid belt, then later to Bespin.

Traveling at sublight speed takes a LONG TIME to get places, which is why both Boba Fett and the Empire got to Bespin MUCH sooner... enough time to pretty much get the station under their thumb and trap Han and Leia, knowing it would draw out Luke.

Obviously Luke recieved quite a bit of training in those couple months...I can imagine a rather dull lecture or two taking place in that time.

16. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    In-universe (because that's the only kind of explanation that interests me) Ben probably didn't go into midichlorians because that understanding was inessential to Luke's training. Later on, when he was building a new Jedi order, if the ascended Jedi had the time they might have told him about this aspect of the "how" of the Force. That's when Luke might have benefitted from obtaining or building a device to measure his prospective students' potential. Of course, we don't know all about every conversatino they ever had either. Maybe in offscreen moments, Ben or Yoda did go into this kind of thing, we really have no idea.

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Obi-Wan was far too busy telling Luke a pack of lies about Anakin and Vader...sorry his certain point of view, to go on about midichlorians and we don't know that Yoda didn't tell him during the nights after training.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  18. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I never have liked the idea of Midi-chlorians.I think it took away from the mystique of the Force. That said, since they are now part of the story, my head canon is this:

Midi-chlorians were never mentioned to Luke because they were irrelevant to his force abilities.Luke's lineage dictates his force abilities. In Anakin's case, he had no lineage of force ability, so midi-chlorian count mattered. So, in my head canon, midi-chlorians only matter if you're the first in your family to display force sensitivity.

19. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    When George Lucas regains creative control over the series, perhaps he will insert a ten minute digression about midichorians into The Empire Strikes Back.

20. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Oh God, please no.

Doompup and Sarge like this.
  21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That'd be fun [face_tee_hee]

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Your definition of "fun" must be different from mine.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  23. cbwhu

cbwhu Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 10, 2016
    that pretty much was his sequel trilogy plan that he said many fans would't like

GL - “[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force… If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.”

“Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we were just cars, vehicles for the Whills to travel around in….We’re vessels for them. And the conduit is the midichlorians. The midichlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force… All the way back to—with the Force and the Jedi and everything—the whole concept of how things happen was laid out completely from [the beginning] to the end. But I never got to finish. I never got to tell people about it.”

Between Jar Jar and this plan I'm quite happy for him to not take back control

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Sarge and Doompup like this.
  24. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I love George Lucas. He is a genius. Yet, what he likes about Star Wars and what fans like about Star Wars are not always the same thing.

There are many fans that like Star Wars NOT because of the The Force Mysticism aspects (Jedi/Sith, etc.), but because of the military tech aspect, or because of the swashbuckling space adventure aspect.

Think about the Mandalorian. Many fans LOVE the show because it feels like a return to the roots of Star Wars. Pulpy, space adventures with a dash of magic/fantasy ie The Force. I feel that these fans might be left in the cold with Lucas's further exploration of midichlorians.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    cbwhu, Sarge and Doompup like this.
  25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not sure how they could possibly have taken any mystique out of the force. Not only are they NOT the force, but their existance was already abundantly clear by what had been said in the OT as well. By the very nature of the force being hereditary, there had to be a biological element to it.

Never understood why some people complained about this when it was not only blindingly obvious from the OT, but also nothing more than a small side-remark to explain why Anakin was special.

The far easier explanation would be that Qui Gon felt Anakin to be abnormally powerful in the force, so he wanted to make sure and did the test. This test was irrelevant when it came to Luke, because those who needed to know already knew what potential Luke and Leia would have. For the Jedi during the times of the Republic, this sort of test might be suitable, because you need to make sure who to take in and who doesn't cut it. The Jedi Order numbered in the thousands, and had access to much of the known galaxy. It seems rather normal to go for an approach that goes beyond just taking everyone in who seems to have some level of connection to the force. For Luke, however, knowledge of this isn't important at this stage. First of, you can still find possible force-users without such a test, you just won't be as certain about it. So it isn't essential for Luke finding possible new Jedi. Secondly, it isn't essential for his task of facing Vader and the Emperor. And then there is the obvious solution that something not being seen on screen doesn't equal it not happening. Otherwise Luke would have randomly decided to stand on his hands and lift some rocks, while Yoda opted to chill out nearby, instead of this being something that Yoda made Luke do as part of the training.