main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion TV Show(s?) Set Before The Skywalker Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Jan 8, 2020.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    A period that is between the end of the Old Republic and TPM.

Referenced a few times in recant Canon.

If the rumors turn out to be true and this is the next new era to be explored, would you like to see an animated series in this period?

The only Jedi that could carry over from films/TCW is Yoda.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Characters in general who could appear
    Yaddle, Yoda Maz

Bad guys
    Basically all the Hutts except for Rotta.

Not even Chewbacca would be alive

Deliveranze and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think the next animated series will be closer to RoTJ. The next film saga will be the "High Republic"

Vialco likes this.
  4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    How about the Low Republic?!

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Perhaps there are two animated series in development. One post RoTJ and another in some other era.

6. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    There are two rumored shows in development: one is definitely animated (Rebels Sequel) and one is unknown (Doctor Aphra)
    The latter could really touch on the High Republic time period and help connect the two eras

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think The high Republic era in animation probaly won't come until 2022. They are working on a Rebels sequel and the DR. Aphra series that is hinted at being animated. Maybe there are someone working on a High Republic Era animated show, but it would be the early stages by now, maybe writers form porject luminous would be involved with this more so they they ever could with the movies or live action shows. Have comic book writers such as Soule write an episode. or novel writer as Claudia Gray.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  8. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Dr. Aphra should be live-action TV or film. I honestly don't understand why they would do an animated version for her. She should be able to be thoroughly subversive.

Demon4x4 likes this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think it will be animated so that we could see characters like Luke Skywalker and legacy characters after the return of the jedi.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  10. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    So 400 years before TPM? Darth Plagueis?[face_thinking] His age is not established in the canon. He is younger in Legends "Between 147 and 120 BBY" but that could be changed. Or Darth Tenebrous? Tenebrous was brought into canon as mere mention already. Not sure about Bith lifespan in new canon though and if he even is a Bith in the new canon..... but I love the idea of him being"a Bith Sith" that's just hilarious.:p

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep we have no clue about him other than his name. For all we know he might actually be a she

12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Sounds like a boring and dull premise.

13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    High Republic? The hell..

14. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    "Dull & boring" from a time period with nothing else to go on whatsoever yet.

Yep, seems like fair thinking.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    The one thing we know about the High Republic era does not make it sound boring. It was a time of increased Jedi activity in the galaxy.

GregMcP likes this.
  16. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    ^ I Agree if done well this could be the needed fresh direction for SW.

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    The fandom is made up of two kinds of people. Those who think a blank canvass is dull and boring, and those who think a blank canvass is brimming with creative potential.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    black_saber likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The opposite of "dull and boring" will be the early adventures of millenia-lifespanned Yarael Poof.

19. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I don't think it's helpful to frame these things in binary terms -- not that there isn't some truth to it. However, it's distortive of how complex people are, and we all need to start avoiding this.

In fact, I'm not sure that many people really find a blank slate boring, as you put it; they are just concerned that KK will continue to put people like JJ, Ron Howard, or Kasdan in charge of "dreaming" the material up. And while Rian is creative in his talent for subversion, that doesn't mean he's a great world inventor. He could be, or maybe he would just do a lot of subversion of classic tropes, which could be just as annoying as interesting.

Why some people might assume the High Republic could be dull is simply because they assume it's a time of peace. "High" makes it sound like a fine time to be in the Republic, and it logically makes one wonder where the conflict will come from.

However, although the name doesn't imply drama, it seems the Jedi of this period may have been expansionist or colonialist in their policy, which is perfect for conflict.

20. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Why would a time of peace have to be "dull", though?

Depends on what they do with it. EpI was galactic peace other than a small quarrel on one world, they got plenty out of that.

black_saber and Bor Mullet like this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It's a time of peace yess, but it's also a time of expansion for the jedi and the high republic. and they would probaly fight the unknown threaths out the like the grysk, other alien races maybe a new version of the vong.

black_saber likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Exactly. This is a fantastically layered fictional world set in a massive galaxy. It can be as interesting or as not interesting as you want to make it. And even if a story is set in the real world of Muscatine, Iowa, it can be made interesting by how it’s presented. There’s potential in every place and era.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Depends on whether they're going to handle it at least half as well as they did the Mandalorian series or rinse and repeat the mess they made of the ST and Resistance.

Rewriting canon after ditching the EU only to scavenge from the EU and then claim there was nothing they could use to build their franchise I really don't have any faith in their plans at this point.

Please keep hoping for me!

24. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Hey, ST & Resistance is all fine by me.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  25. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Hey, everyone, with The High Republic being a thing now, I was just thinking of anyone's thoughts regarding TV content that could be set before the movies... in general. Shows set during The High Republic, Old Republic, Ancient Republic, you name it. Basically, different eras throughout the vast history of Star Wars. I myself am hoping for a show set during the High Republic with Yoda.

If this topic should be closed, then I invite the mods to do so and have made this OP short and sweet just in case.