main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Star Wars Planets

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Moon Labutto, Mar 29, 2016.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    If it stays general ideas and ways to think about things, keeping it here is fine. But if it starts getting pretty specific and more into Cowgirl Jedi's specific development, it should go to PM. (Similar to the Writer's Desk)

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    If Serenity is larger than Earth, gravity will be slightly higher (I vaguely remember this from a long-ago trip to a science museum). People born there & living there may have adapted to be stockier and maybe a bit shorter and more muscular to counteract the weight. Though in fiction, you can ignore it! :D

3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, Serenity, being slightly larger than Earth, would also have slightly higher gravity. This would mean that the inhabitants of Serenity would be stronger than the average Human. I do not think, however, that the stronger gravity would cause them to be shorter. My reasoning for this is based on my knowledge of Star Trek. Yes, Star Trek. Specifically Vulcans and their homeworld. The planet Vulcan has considerably higher gravity than Earth, to be precise, about 1.4 Gs, or about 40% higher. Members of the Vulcan species, however, seem to fall within the same average height range as Humans. I imagine the gravity of Serenity to be more in the range of 5 - 10% higher than Earth's. ( I haven't decided on an exact number yet)

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A returning justification to why a planet that is larger/smaller then Earth have the same gravity is that it’s made up by less/more heavy materials.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Maybe porous, like Naboo, with a different type of core?

6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm gonna collect all my Serenity ideas somewhere so I can work on it offline. When I get it a little bit more developed, I think I'll make a fanon post about it.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Another possibility is that some kind of forerunner civilization, or maybe somebody from the earlier Republics (or its sibling civilizations) with way too much money have installed some kind of tech that makes the planet a G1 world

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Concepts that might work, pick or blend as you want:

* a frigid world where the equatorial area is snow free in summer but only a small band here (and around hot springs/volcanic vents) has not permafrost. The oceans are frigid, and it's only the constant motions of the strong tides that keep them free of ice. There is no grass, onlyl lichens mosses and kinds of shrubbery growing in the heat-oasis. The main native animal can be described as a cross between a Manatee and a St. Bernard dog, that live by grazing moss. Precipitation is common, and even in the equatorial area during the summer so is snow or slush not unusual.
    - you can ad strong winds to make it even more unpleasant
    - talz are probably the best labour slaves here
    - old mine shafts can be used for housing since it is likely that once you go below the permafrost so is it often warmer underground than above it.

* warm mud-seas broken by volcanic islands. Native animal-life is slug, seaslug, mudskipper, octopus or squid like or looks like a fusion of two-or-more of them. All mining has to be done either near a volcano or in the mud-seas deep.
    - if you want it even more hostile can you:
    -x- make some of the native animals really big, whale- or kaiju-sized
    -x- have the mud-seas be boiling hot in many areas

* Barren highlands and plateaus, broken by canyons filled by corrosive, alkaline salt-mires.
    - to make it even more hostile you can have the air being very thin with the canyon areas being around just breathable without special equipment, while you need protective suits, oxygen-masks, and similar while on the highlands and plateaus

* a world where the day/night cycle is two standard months, the native fungi-forests do rapidly grow during the 'day', followed by an equally rapid decomposition period during the 'night'.
    - you can ad hyper-violent native animals or animal-analogous - maybe all life is fungi-based?

* a mostly barren world of mountains and rocky lowland here and there broken salty lakes and inland seas, most of the native vegetation is sturdy (and often thorny) shrubberies. Rain season (which is also a harsh storm season) happens every second to fifth standard year, after which the land turn surprisingly beautiful by all the flowers and plants that have been waiting for the rain, but only for a short while before the world returns into it normal rock and stone look.
    - thorny tumbleweeds thrown around by strong winds can be a real danger, especially if they have a 1 m diameter.

* the planet has an orbit that makes its winters last a year (or more) while the other three seasons all have to share a time that's similar or shorter.

* a windswept planet constantly beset by hailstorms and driving rains. Dry season means that its just rain once or twice a day instead of continually.
    - the rain can be corrosive, maybe just so much that you don't want it in your eyes and mouth but don't damage the skin (unless you over expose yourself), or so bad that it burns the skin when it strikes.

* An iceworld that would be colder then Hoth if it was not for heavy geological activity that creates patterns of heat oasis following the binderies of the tectonic plates.

If you have any thoughts would it be niche to hear them :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Anedon and gizkaspice like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    * An iceworld so cold that there are liquid nitrogen inlandseas covering the pools.
    - possible unusuall enviorment could be liquid nitrogen swamps

* A world covered in crystals, some of the crystals quickly absorb any matter from the manufactured to the organic, rearranging it on the molecular level and using it to expand.

* was a world of splintered crystal stacks and jagged fissures. Constant lighting-storms, with the energy from the lightings striking the crystals being absorbed into the crystals, making them glow and hum, unless they get too much energy, in which case they explode.

* a verdant world of great jungles, high forest, trackless swamps and deep seas. Would be perfect for colonisation if it was not for the high amount of large- and mega-fauna, much which is aggressive and need military hardware to be taken down.
    - think Skull Island in King Kong (2005) and Kong: Skull Island

* a planet with a thin crust which lead to a high volcanic and tectonic activity. In many places the topography is changing in an measurable rate, usually changing by meters yearly, and most mountains are at least partly volcanic in nature and topped by plumes of smoke and gouts of fire. The seas, together with many rivers and lakes, are mineral rich and undrinkable by human standard. Probably covered in a constant/near constant layer of clouds and smoke, and rain is likely common.

* a waterworld with a thin crust which lead to a high volcanic and tectonic activity, volcanic islands appear and disappear into the ocean all the time. Little to non native land life but the world-ocean is full of flora and fauna.
    - make it more dangerous by making the native life poisonous to non-natives; highly aggressive; hard to kill; and/or humongous.

Also, each of the movies in the Riddick-trilogy has harsh worlds that could be of inspiration