main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I
    I’d name it rogue null for Tycho.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Weirdly, it's not as bad as Boston because at least the roads mostly make sense and they are marked well (neither of which happens in Boston). When I'm doing things for work in Manhattan, I still generally take the subway. But when I go outside of that, I have to take the car.

Wheelchair Rugby sounds awesome!! :D Sorry about the food poisoning. :(

Of course I am! How can I not when it's a Rogue. I'm trying to decide if I want to call her Jyn or just Rogue One. But @DarthIshtar does make a good argument for Rogue Null.

Kahara, Lady_Misty and DarthIshtar like this.
  3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Technically, rogue one is the call sign for the shuttle, so it would work as a name for a transport.

Also, yes, Boston driving is harder because of the lack of street names. I love that alleys are marked, but you can’t find out if you’re on Mass Ave. until Arlington Heights.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    As a country girl big cities and their 'one way streets' and 'if you want to be on x street/go the opposite direction you have to go at a right angle to get there'. I prefer my small towns and cities where if you need to turn around you just pull into a driveway/parking lot and turn around and if you do need to get on another street to turn around it isn't confusing.

I know of at least three or four people, college students, that nicknamed their vehicles 'Shadow'. My SIL Dany nicknamed her silver car 'Storm' after the X-Man character.

I honestly don't know what name I'd give a vehicle.

Kahara likes this.
  5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I name fictional characters, musical instruments, and computers. That’s it.

Jedi Knight Fett and Kahara like this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    As much as I love living in a big city, I do miss driving back home! Theres only 1 one-way and I knew where everything was. Here, I'm kinda hopeless without google maps!

My car's name is Mildred. My friends and I had a thing where we would name our cars using names that were really popular during our grandparents' and great-grandparents generations. Most of my friends had old clunkers so whenever one would finally die, we'd go "Oh no, Frank is dead." I named my car after my great-grandmother. I never met the woman, but my mother hated her, just like the fact my mother hated I finally got my licence and a car, so it was it.

I was recently introduced to the concept of naming my wheelchair, so his name is now Tony (because I kinda did the more modern Iron Man colours when I got him).

Kahara, DarthIshtar and mavjade like this.
  7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I like the idea of naming vehicles (big fan of the Herbie movies), but I've not done it yet. Partly because I don't drive and don't have a car. I do have a bicycle, but I hadn't thought of naming it before. Maybe I should do that.

May Mildred live long and prosper, and I hope you and Tony have a blast together. :cool:

Kahara likes this.
  8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I always felt like my instruments had names and then a fellow fanfic author wrote her friend’s cello having a name into a story and I went “I’m not alone!” and now think of my violin as Ludwig, my viola as Amadeus, my piano as Meredith. I don’t have a name for my cello yet because I need to get to know him better.

Jedi Knight Fett and Kahara like this.
  9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Well, I sold my old car. :( Her name was Red, because she was a bright red SUV so I thought of her like a red head and had on big black boots (the tires).

I've always named cars, and when I moved to Boston everyone I knew who lived in housemate situations named their houses. The one I lived in was The House of Sproodle.

Bri - Yes... Tony!! :D I love it! I love the idea of using old-fashioned names for cars as well!

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701 - you should name your bike!

That's exactly why I'm thinking of doing it! :D

Kahara and DarthIshtar like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Mod edit: Twitter image removed for language.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2020
    gizkaspice and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Speaking of inanimate things/machines, I was just randomly checking "Current Visitors" and I just noticed there were robots viewing the forums, a few of which viewed fanfiction threads. I totally understand Google/other search engines are searching through the Internet but the concept of this is ....unsettling? Weird? I have no doubts in the future robots really will be reading fanfiction and maybe even writing it. [face_hypnotized]

*prepares to book ticket to nearest tropical island away from technology and become one with the palm trees*

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks to my browser history, here's the tweet with the offending word edited out:

[​IMG]

13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Lol at the toaster with googly eyes named James.

Any suggestions for what I could name my bike? Cuz I'd like to give it a cool name.

Kahara likes this.
  14. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Mike the Bike?

gizkaspice and Gamiel like this.
  15. mysterycultist

mysterycultist Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2020
    I know this is an old post, but I just moved to NYC. Of course I'd heard about traffic here, but still I was SHOCKED by the reality. Pretty regularly, at any hour, I'll hear a car approaching by the sound of its horn and listen to it go as the horn fades away... Anyway, goodluck and godspeed.

DarthIshtar likes this.
  16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Don't worry, not an old post for this thread at all. We frequently bring things up that were mentioned months ago. :)

Welcome to NYC! I'd say you get used to the honking, but I've lived here for almost 5 years and I still get angry at people for honking in unnecessary situations. For example, someone was honking at me the other day for not mowing down the pedestrian in the crosswalk who had the right of way! (I mean, I wouldn't do it if they didn't but that they did makes it even worse.)

mysterycultist and Lady_Misty like this.
  17. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Oh, finally someone else who names their cars too. [face_laugh] Most of my cars have had names. My first one was "Bertram" (I had read a lot of P.G. Wodehouse novels just before I got it). The next one was "Little Blue" (obvious reasons....), the next two didn't have a name, but my present one proudly goes by the name "Monster".

Lady_Misty likes this.
  18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I feel like banging my head against the wall: my laptop is dead and I had a feeling that I needed to remove/copy the few documents I had on it (I was considering it to free up the few KBs they were taking up and hopefully stop the ‘free up space so updates can be installed’ messages but decided to wait until I got back from visiting my parents) and NONE of the documents can be retrieved.

At least it wasn’t all my documents and I had just one finished but unnamed fan fic but I lost about half of an unfinished one (Anakin dragging Padme, Bail and Breha around the Afterlife telling everyone that they were grandparents), a few pages of a time travel fan fic, an unfinished one shot tied to my last DDC fic (I can rewrite it but I lost the names of the characters that only appeared in one entry and went unnamed), the last posted chapter of one of my WIPs and little over a thousand words for the next chapter; the only other document that I can remember was a list of expenses my husband and I have which is easily replaceable.

I hated that laptop but it let me write and easily fix my mistakes.

At least the place didn’t charge me and asked if I wanted it back or if I wanted them to chuck; I told them that they could chuck it seeing that it’s a useless brick now.

I guess that I need to hunt down my old laptop’s charge cord and see if there’s a fix for the busted screen and start saving for a new, better, laptop.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Is it not possible to remove the hard drive and connect it to another computer to access the files? All you need is a SATA-to-USB adapter cable.

20. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    The repair shop said that they couldn’t because of how things were connected (a part soldered to another part) and there wasn’t a way around it. They couldn’t even get it to do anything.

It was a tiny little thing, 11.something inches, and no battery you could remove so I guess more things were interconnected and soldered together.

I’m just not going to get another laptop from Lenovo again and make sure my files are backed up; I do have three pen/thumb drives.

EDIT: it wouldn’t turn on. I would press the ‘on’ button and it would light up but the screen stayed dark and didn’t make a sound, or a very slight one, and after less than a minute the power light would go off.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  21. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This is why I do not trust technology. I lost way too many things this way....that's why now I backup, and then do a backup of the backup, and a backup of the backup of the backup and well, then you just become paranoid :p Like, "what if the backup of the backup of the backup is lost somehow and the other backups are lost as well!? Better print it off and put it in a bank safe.....OH NO, WHAT IF SOMEHOW IT GETS LOST THERE, TOO!?" 8-}

Lady_Misty likes this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Even though I've had a couple instances of data-loss, I'm horrible when it comes to backing things up. Most of my things are on the cloud, but all my fics are written in Scrivener so are saved as .scriv files. Theoretically I should be able to open them on any computer installed with Scrivener... but theoretically doesn't always work out for me. I keep telling myself that one of these nights I gotta sit down and convert everything to a .doc file and back that up somewhere else... but I never do (in my defence, I was good at backing up my dissertation and "more important" stuff).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Lady_Misty likes this.
  23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm sorry about your laptop, Lady_Misty! :( I know that's really upsetting to lose stuff like that.

Like Bri, I've had a few instances of data-loss and I'm still terrible about backing things up.

For naming my new car, I'm currently leaning toward naming her Rogue Three (which was Wedge. I would rather Luke, but I don't want to be Rogue Leader. :p ) Ree for short. But I'm going to have to get some magnetic bumper stickers because not only is the Rogue a really common car, they made us get it in a really common color (a brown-ish grey). Several times already I've tried to get in other people's cars.

DarthIshtar and Lady_Misty like this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Rogue Three is a great name! Gotta love some Wedge! And oh no! Maybe hang something from the rear-view mirror? My car isn't super common, but it is a silver Kia soul (not my choice in colour, it was a previous year's clearance so I got a good deal), so I've had to double check a few times!

So, I've just had an interesting phone-call. I think I know what it was about (my friends/former housemates/tenants told me they put me down as a landlord reference and this call was from the city they are in, but they knew to specify that I can only be contacted via email due to my speech disability), but the person calling me asked for Brian [last name]. Now, there was a Brian, my father, and I've been mistaken for him before, but he's been dead for 17 years, so I always like to clarify if they want Brian with one n or Briann with two n's. Only this time, they hung up on me [face_plain]. I really don't care, but I did message my friends and told them they need to be explicit about the email or text.

Edit: I just got my 10-year-boardiversary trophy. I feel so old. Someone, please, hold me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012