main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    That's a lot of face melting

AndyLGR likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Spielberg is done shooting West Side Story (and he often works on one movie in post while shooting another one) so I could see it possibly shooting this year, but I somewhat question Ford saying it's going to shoot in 2 months since there has been zero casting announced.

3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That wouldn't be all that different from the last one. Shia LaBeouf was announced two months prior to principal photography, everyone else with less than two weeks to go.

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Harrison's just playing everyone this time around.

Master_Lok and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Indy IV was set in, what, 1955? That was like 13 years ago, and adding maybe a year or two until it comes out, does that mean it will be set in 1970? Or maybe 1968? We might assume the Soviets the baddies, but then the Chinese communists depending on the macguffin. Although thinking in worldwide box office terms, why alienate the Chinese market with US Cold War propaganda? IDK - kind of hard to know what direction they’ll go with here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    christophero30 likes this.
  6. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    Maybe the U.S. government will be the baddies this time around. The "Men in Black", etc.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
  8. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, that's a point about the Chinese market, maybe they indeed will skirt around their particular circle of communist influence for a setting/related mcguffin/villains.

I dunno though, surely if you're setting this late 60s or circa 1970/71, consistency with the prior films leaning heavily into the cultural zeitgeist of the time would kinda dictate Vietnam hanging over the whole thing in some form. Pretty clearly some major Chinese & Russian influence seeps into that both indirectly & pretty directly, sort of seems like the obvious way to go in keeping with the prior stuff. Not sure how you avoid it, if this is going to lean into the 1960s/70s social upheaval in the west, have fun with Indy in a fish-out-of-water period.

China does throw their weight around a lot these days with the movie industry in general though, so who knows. Can't see Spielberg being the type to wuss out when someone's wagging their finger in his face, but who knows. .

Immortiss likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It'll probably be a hidden island of Nazis as the baddies I'm guessing. they'd be about as old as Indy, though. Maybe Indy in the 70s stops the rise of disco?

10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Ford would know better then us on this. he could have meant pre production starts in April Actual filming starts in end of Summer. didn't Ford and Hamill admit they were both cast in Star Wars TROS over a year before it came out? so if that turned out true why would Ford be wrong about this? I never took Harrison for one to Lie.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm just stoked it mean they actually got the script in place again if they're ready to shoot, how many writers has this gone thorough? Well at least it didn't take as long/as many drafts as Crystal Skull did, apparently.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Immortiss likes this.
  12. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    Apparently the task was given briefly to Kasdan the younger (Solo: A Star Wars Story), but now back in the hands of the guy who gave us Crystal Skull.

Immortiss likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually have no problem with the dialogue and feel of Crystal Skull, it is legit snappy as an Indy movie should be, the alien plot stuff is a little odd but those are Lucas' story points, not the specific writer who just randomly came up with it and they decided to shot it.

Immortiss likes this.
  14. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    Very true.

15. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, zero problem with Koepp personally. The writing was on-point with KotCS as much as any of the originals, in that respect I actually dig the movie bigtime.

It's just the actual execution of the thing that's the issue, all the CG lamewaddery and spectacle for the sake of spectacle. That's on Stevie-boy with a heavy dose of George, not David.

BigAl6ft6, Immortiss and StarYogi like this.
  16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The execution is the issue, and I can pretty much pinpoint the exact minute the movie starts falling apart when I pause it. The first half of the film is super, super solid, and the nuked fridge is not any more dumb than countless other things he's survived in prior films.

Apart from the execution, I think a big part of the problem is it's trying to be two separate movies that aren't really compatible with each other. The original conception for the film, dating to the early '90s, was to transport the Indiana Jones character to the '50s and a corresponding genre; a sci-fi thriller set entirely in America with political undertones, as opposed to a globetrotting '30s adventure serial. I think that film could have worked, because it was working.

The issue is the second half tries to incorporate the ancient aliens concept, and to do so literally introduces an entirely different species of alien than the one being stored in Area 51. They're described as "a distant cousin, perhaps" in their relationship to crystal skull aliens. This shift was basically done so the film could follow an expected formula identical to that of the original films, particularly RotLA and TLC. Once it transitions to that, it kind of feels like... Spielberg just stops caring. It's not the half of the movie he wanted to make, and he kind of lets the concept itself run the film on autopilot, but the Crystal Skull of Akator and the aliens related to it are pretty irrelevant to the first half of the film, so the concept isn't established strongly enough for that to work.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Apologies for not doing an extensive search of this thread, but has there been any leaks of info at all about Indy 5?

18. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    One issue I think with KotCS was that Latin America and the subsequent mythology didn’t resonate as deeply as the Ark, Shankara Stones or the Holy Grail. At least not for me. Especially when you consider Latin America was already used as a prelude in RotLA, then jumping to Cairo and the Lost Ark is all fascinating monotheistic mythology. They need to set this in Asia or even Africa, maybe?

I like the idea of Vietnam. There could be some good comedic moments on campus of Marshall with student activists/counter culture and Indy doesn’t recognize the country anymore.

There was a bit of American/Western chauvinism in Raiders and the Brits being the good guys in India of all places in ToD. It’s forty years later and interesting to think how Indiana Jones relates to a world different than it was thirty and forty years ago.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  19. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, it'd a goldmine of fish-out-of-water stuff.

Our great-grandparent's generation interacting with our parent's generation back in the day. Pretty sure it'll be a big part of the movie, even if they do shy away from Vietnam specifically.

BigAl6ft6 and Immortiss like this.
  20. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Haven’t heard a thing. Just that J. Kasdan touched up Koepp and Lucas isn’t involved. Dear Lord I Hope Williams returns.

21. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    No George on this still really irks me somehow. I love Steve as much as the next guy, but it does feel like 50% of the magic's gonna be missing. The movies always felt like such a great mish-mash halfway point of both guy's sensibilities.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I will believe that Lucas isn't involved when I see the credits dangit! (There's even a old Spielberg quote about it'd be insane to do a Indy movie without Lucas)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  23. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I have no doubt that Lucas will have an "executive producer" credits. But that doesn't mean a thing.

I mean, involved can mean many things. According to wikipedia, Lucas had a "cursory involvement" in Game of Thrones Season 8... just because he showed up on set one day!

Lucas made a specific contribution to every Indy film until now: he provided the story and supervised the scriptwriting process. In addition, his company produced the movies. And obviously, he showed up on set occasionally and helped with the editing. In a way, he was the driving force that set each movie in motion, by providing a different kind of story for every one of them.

(I think it was Spielberg who once said that the Indy movies were George's dreams, which Spielberg made into reality. That's a nice way of describing how they were made).

Now, if Lucas isn't providing the story or supervising the script of his one, just having his name in the credits (because he showed up on set on a couple of days) means next to nothing to me.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    I mean, something as basic as Steven & David checking in with George unofficially/off-the-record just in private conversations as friends, about the story, would be enough for me.

Like George is involved in the really broad strokes, deciding the setting and macguffin or whatever, but the specifics are all Steven & David. Not gonna rule out hope, given how little we have to go on so far.

25. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Really?? I can't disagree more. I need Lucas to play a significant part in the making of a movie, in order to consider it "his" movie, ast least to a degree.
    But anyway, you'll get your wish, no doubt. Obviously, Spielberg is going to chat with Lucas from time to time, and will tell him about the film.