main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*~ 2019 Favorites of FanFic Social and Questions Thread ~*~ We're back!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mira_Jade , Jan 30, 2020.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello, fellow fanficers!

This is the place to socialize and ask questions about the Favorites of FanFic Festival. (If you don't know what the heck we are talking about, see the Favorites of FanFic Festival 2019 post.) But like normal, there are a few rules.

Man, those mods always have rules.

• TOS, as always, applies. (But you knew that already, didn't you?)
    • Absolutely NO negative comments.
      • If you don't agree with the story someone posted/don't think it fits the category, keep it to yourself.
    • Absolutely YES to thanking people for putting forth your story. (You may also do this in your story thread, but you can only do that once, so if your story gets put forth again for another category and you've already thanked in your story thread, you may not do it again.)
    • This isn't the general social thread, so please keep non-FanFic Festival chatter to a minimum.
      • Role playing as your screen name at a FanFic Fest is allowed. Creativity as to what the Fest would look like and how people should dress is encouraged. Have fun! If you would like to make little skits a la the awards, that is fine too.
    • Please no asking for people to put forth your stories, nor 'woe is me, my stories aren't being put forth' type posts. We know there is a bit of popularity to this type of thing, we've tried to get rid of as much of it as possible, but we can't get rid of it entirely. We know it sucks to not have your work recognised. It is NOT a testament to your abilities as a writer. Don't get discouraged. Instead, jump in and recognise someone you think might be in the same boat!
    And now, let's have some fun!

To start: what part of the festival are you most excited about this time around? And, more importantly, what are you going to wear to the ceremony? [face_mischief]

[face_dancing] [:D]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2020
  2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So everyone can plan ahead and prepare (particularly if theres a group of categories you want to make sure you have ready, here's our schedule for the categories:

Style: February 16-22
    Characters: February 23 - 29
    Genre: March 1-7
    Mods' Fun Categories: March 8-14
    Storyline and Reviewer: March 15-21
    Author: March 22 - 28
    PM Make-up week: March 29 - April 4

AzureAngel2, pronker, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Excited to participate for the first time and give some well-deserved recognition to some of our excellent writers and reviewers on these boards!=D=

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    AzureAngel2, pronker, Kahara and 5 others like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] I'm already collecting links of stories. @};-

AzureAngel2, pronker, Kahara and 5 others like this.
  5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007

What shall I wear, you ask? Sky blue velvet maxiskirt and I'll think of a top later; pashmina; 1 inch heels, no more Beartraps[face_talk_hand] and a pink fascinator. :)

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @Mira_Jade, I noticed just one small thing about your OP above: the "Favorites of Fanfic Festival 2019" link goes to the 2018 festival instead of the 2019 one (which is here). That confused me a bit at first when I was working on my list today, because the categories were slightly different and in a different order last year! Anyway, just a heads-up, and easily fixed. Thanks! :)

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    @Findswoman - That is confusing and I've fixed it now. Thanks for pointing it out!

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yaaay we've started.

I'd like to apologize for the lack of current enthusiasm, and the lack of a banner, from this host. I'm very much presenting right now in a pair of pyjamas - I've been sick and today I hurt myself in a very stupid way (it a moment that seemed right from one of my fanfics). So I don't trust myself to try to remember how to create a banner without deleting all of fanfic.

But we can still party! Just... prop me in a corner and let me be pathetic.

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    A big thank you to @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for nominating my story in the other thread. It was, in Palpatine's words, a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Also a big thank you to the whole fan fiction community here in general (readers, authors, reviewers, and mods) who have made me feel so welcome here. Even though I've only been around for a matter of months, I feel as comfortable here as if I've been around for years. [:D]

10. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Ouch. Feel better soon!@};-

11. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Hi all! Quick question, although I think I already know the answer. "EU character" refers to television shows, (I.e., Clone Wars, Rebels, Resistance, The Mandalorian) right?

Soooo.... what's everyone wearing? I've got on my pretty blue chiffon gown. (The one with the matching tiara because I'm so extra.) I just have to be careful around the celebratory bonfire & marshmallow roast.

@pronker, I'm loving the fascinator. Have you decided on a top yet?

12. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I’m wearing my lekku and a dark green lace dress :hera: (which is an outfit I would totally do in RL if it didn’t involve painting most of my body green, but hey, this is the Internet so I could be green....)

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yep! Things that are not the movies - TV, books, comics

14. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Definitely a spring tone - probably puce in a medium weight fabric like peau de soie! *visualizes a glittery blue tiara that accents your velvet*

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  15. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I'll just be in a corner somewhere wearing a cat and gizka themed long flowing gown accompanied by a stunning Thai-styled feathery headdress and a cat-themed masquerade mask.

16. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    A character in one of my stories was nominated for Best character in EU, but he actually appears (mention of) in the movies. Unfortunately I don't think Palo Jemabie can be counted in @Findswoman's nomination for Best character in EU.

I appreciate the shout-out, though!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ah, OK—though I thought that restriction only applied to in-person appearances as opposed to mentions? Mods (@Briannakin, @mavjade, @Mira_Jade), what say you? I can choose someone else if necessary, though diva, your superb portrayal of Palo definitely is more than deserving of a shout-out! :)

And while I’m here, I am most definitely appreciative of the shout-outs I’ve gotten so far from various folks—thank you so much! @};-

18. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    While I’m flattered to be nominated for Best Original Relationship for Kanan and Hera in “Shadow of a Doubt”, the story was actually started in 2018. Thank you @Kahara, for the nomination; I do appreciate it [:D]

Also, Ronen wants me to thank you, @Findswoman, for nominating him as Best OC. He would do it himself except that he is quietly mortified that his Full Name o’ Dume is out there for the entire Galaxy to see. ;) Wren was giving him a hard time about it until Noemi threatened to post her full name.

19. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    @Raissa Baiard -- Whoops, guess I mixed up my lists there! Well, at any rate I enjoyed the story.

Edit: And I have changed my nomination -- hope that's okay with the mods since the original was for the wrong year. Turns out there was more Kanera to find. ;)

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    If they primarily are known as an EU character and were only mentioned in the movies, then yes, they'd be considered an EU character.

21. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Help! I've got a clothing emergency! Not a nip slip but a shoe heel broke off as I was dancing the Electric Slide[face_dancing] and now the maxiskirt is too long so I'm tripping *and not in the good way* and my nylons are getting laddered from just walking around ... please advise.[face_nail_biting]

22. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    @pronker [face_rofl] I'm afraid that I cannot advise, since I'm attending in a Jedi robe and pyjamas, and finishing off the look with flip flop sandals. (What? It all seems perfectly normal to me...)

23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    The Force: pronker, channel your inner MacGyver.
    pronker: Hello? Who's there?
    The Force: The Force.
    pronker: No way!
    The Force: Way.
    pronker: Um. MacGyver-Me would ... um ...
    The Force: He would 1. roll up the waistband of the maxiskirt to shorten it, 2. lose the nylons, and 3. toss your fascinator on the dance floor to start a rousing Mexican hat circle dance, like so

24. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Totally agree with @pronker. Lose the nylons! They’re uncomfortable anyway. Roll up your waistband or secure the skirt by bunching it up and putting a hair tie around the gathers. Then take lots of selfies and become a style early adapter! Just watch, at the next social event everyone will be barefoot with too-long skirts or trousers.

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh shoot!

Oh shoot oh shoot oh shoot! (Oh karabast, in fact!)

:oops:

So I just noticed that one of the stories I put forth as Favorite Epic, @CaraJinn ’s excellent Written in Sand, technically has a start date of December 31, 2018, at least by the time zone I have the boards set to—though I’m pretty sure it was January 1, 2019 in Cara’s time zone when she first posted it, as she’s located several hours ahead of me (and it was a DDC 2019 entry). Does that get taken into account, or should I select something else (and perhaps save it for the “started in December” category)? Please advise—many thanks in advance! @};-

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.