main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Star Wars The High Republic: Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Captain RX, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    whostheBossk and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    “The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It’s an energy field created by all living things. Until. . . .”

... I’m glad we waited so long for such a detailed blurb. :p

I am excited for a new era (but when is this?) and new characters and a new series.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  3. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Jedi going on random missions across the galaxy sounds a bit boring for the future of Star Wars, especially if there is not a major threat or opposition.

It's also dumb AF for me to judge anything by a cover, so I will quit the negativity right there.

4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I just hope the High Republic is set at least 1000 BBY, because set 400 years before(as was rumored) seriously restricts the potential conflicts.

IG: @jedisufism

Ghost likes this.
  5. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    It’s hard to get excited about it when we have maybe a paragraph more of information about the project than when we started.

Keeping in mind that all the context we have about it are now-confirmed leaks. Looking at this alone, we still know very little about what the High Republic is or anything about the significance of these characters. Is there more coming?

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yes, the announcement is still to come in an hour or so.

7. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    I thought it was at 7 est which already passed?

8. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    It's at 7 pst.

Golbolco likes this.
  9. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    I love Star Wars when there is a lot of internal conflict and when boundaries are pushed. Spending a bunch of time when the Jedi are at their purest and lightest is gonna make it difficult for me to get that lol

10. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Who said these Jedi are at their purest and lightest?

11. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Sounds interesting, though my attention will be peaked to a far more significant degree when we get a concrete date where the book is set.

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Seems they want to go with a mythic golden age type thing. Which could easily be repetitive, given that the PT is already drawing on the fall of Rome sort of deal.

That cover art is very evocative of that.

IG: @jedisufism

13. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Well considering the project is call Luminous and the book is called Light of a Jedi, it seems this is going to be the time period where the Jedi are most pure. As the poster above alluded, the golden age of the Jedi.

14. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Considering it's a Soule product, I doubt it. And the "light" idea chimes with the references we've had in the comics about High Republic Jedi establishing "lighthouses" in space to guide explorers, and a holocron apparently belonging to the book's main character offering to help guide Jedi searchers. I don't think it's a statement on some absolute purity or Roddenberry-style lack of conflict.

15. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Well, at the risk of sparking debate I'm curious to see how the Jedi function under the Republic in this time frame.
    I hope there is still a Jedi Council of sorts, just for the sake of continuity and evolution. Though It would be interesting to see precisely how centralized they are, and their relationship with the Chancellor and the Judiciary.
    I doubt they would go full on vigilante, and it has been implied that they still had a close relationship with the Republic.
    But if this is the Jedi at their "purist" I am curious precisely how they strike that balance.

Dawud786 likes this.
  16. Captain RX

Jul 30, 2014
    My two biggest questions are Is this going to tie into the stuff hinted in the earlier canon marvel comics (Charles soules obi wan & Anakin, Kieran gillen’s Aphra) and will they be keeping it separate from the old republic era (so no dark saber, mandalorian wars, recanonized tales of the jedi/kotor characters, etc.)

17. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    That description blurb gives me the impression that the Jedi will be somehow cut off from the force or something. What else could “until...” even mean? Or is it trying to say that there’s something even greater than the force for the Jedi to discover?

Looking forward to the proper reveal in the next hour or so!

18. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Crazy canon welding theory: The "Until" makes me think of what Darth Tenebrous and his Master did in legends, where they opened the veil enough for the Jedi to feel the Dark Side again.
    Or what about their attempt to create a disease designed to separate the Jedi from the force?
    That took place much later in legends, but hey a new canon a new story.

Just a couple possibilities, but anything could happen.

Vialco and Darth Buzz like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    while my stack of Star Wars books is quite high this seems like the "main" book (kind of like how the Shadows of the Empire novel was the main release of SotE project) and I've always liked all of Soule's Star Wars comics so I think I will pick this up (along with all the comics, naturally)

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Page 1, line 1:
    "Get that ************!"

Not yer parents SW.[face_devil]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder how good this novel will be, i enjoy his comics but never read his books. But i'm very excited for this.

22. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Wait soul is writing the adult novel? That’s pretty cool.

23. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Didn't Lucas say Wookiees weren't smart enough or something to be Jedi or am I misremembering?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    well he changed his mind when he had youngling wookiee in youngling arc in TCW.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No, he was just reserving Wookiee Jedi characters because he had his own idea for one that he didn’t want to get confused with others. We didn’t eventually get a Wookiee Youngling in TCW, and I think Lucas originally wanted to do a Dark Times spin-off with that character, sort of like Rebels.