main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The High Republic Adventures (IDW & Dark Horse) by Daniel José Older

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Senpezeco, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oooh, Zygerrian.

Lots of nonhuman representation here.

darthcaedus1138 and Golbolco like this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I don't know why but a Zygerrian jedi, but a Zygerrian jedi just screams slaver jedi, lol

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm... getting total Elder Scrolls vibes from that cover. Which is fine. Perfectly fine.

AusStig and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    same, this image more than any of the others, is definitely giving me the Arthurian and knights of the round table vibe.

6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-star-wars-the-high-republic-meet-yoda
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In an exclusive series, StarWars.com is pulling back the curtain on Star Wars: The High Republic, a publishing epic set centuries before the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, with insights from creators, new details, and never-before-seen concept art. Arriving January 2021, the story will be explored through multiple voices and span adult and young adult novels, children’s books, and comics from a variety of publishers. In this installment, StarWars.com gets a first look at a legendary Jedi Master as we’ve never seen him before.

“For 800 years have I trained Jedi.”

Yoda lived a long, legendary life. But we’ve only known him through his final act — in the last days of the Republic and Jedi Order, and during the training of Luke Skywalker. In Star Wars: The High Republic, we’ll encounter the Jedi Master centuries prior, and StarWars.com is thrilled to offer a first look.

Return of the Jedi

Yoda will feature prominently in Daniel José Older’s Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures comic, coming 2021 from IDW Publishing; the Jedi Master that Older depicts in his series, however, won’t be quite the same sage-like being we know.

“It’s especially exciting to be able to introduce him in the era of the High Republic,” Older tells StarWars.com. “The High Republic Yoda is a journeyman out in the galaxy.” According to Older, the Emperor’s “little green friend” will still be treading somewhat familiar ground — that of teacher.

“While he’s already a respected member of the Jedi Council at this point, we meet Yoda in IDW’s The High Republic Adventures series doing what he loves best: looking out for the young folks — in this case, a group of Padawans traveling around the galaxy to learn the ways of the Jedi with a hands-on approach,” Older says. “The Force study abroad program, basically.”

Ultimately for Older, depicting Yoda during a previously unseen era is an opportunity he doesn’t take for granted.

“The only reason writing Yoda wasn’t on my Star Wars writing bucket list is because I didn’t think it would ever be possible!” he says. “It’s an incredible honor to give words to one of my all-time favorite Star Wars characters.”

“A Huge Task”

With an appearance in a visual medium, that would mean a new design for the iconic character. It was a challenge not to be taken lightly. “The goal was to update Yoda, but to be careful and be true to the Yoda that we all know and love,” says Troy Alders, Lucasfilm art director. “Also, to really make sure that the new look was believable, as this is really the first time that there has been an opportunity to update his look and his clothing. It felt like a daunting and enormous responsibility to embark on and get right.”

Once design work began, Lucasfilm didn’t want to fix what wasn’t broken. At the same time, there was an obvious need to show that these were earlier days. “Well, Yoda is not that much younger — around 700 years old instead of about 900. But we thought that with it being hundreds of years earlier, he would definitely have a different outfit, maybe even more than one,” says Alders. “His age, as far as the way that his hair and face look, is maybe just slightly younger, but fairly close to his look in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.” And since the thinking was his appearance wouldn’t be radically different from that of Episode I, Alders went to one of the talents who visually defined that film.

“Right away, concept artist Iain McCaig felt like the go-to artist to help us start to explore this new look for Yoda,” says Alders, “so we called him up and started to talk about what directions to explore.” Other artists contributed, as well, with Disney Publishing illustration manager Jeff R. Thomas and Star Wars: Dark Legends artist Grant Griffin playing key roles in defining the final look. Griffin’s concept art, revealed here exclusively, shows a Yoda with slightly less mileage in terms of wrinkles, as well as fresh outfits; note the previously established High Republic-era lightsaber holster, more layered tunics, and cloaks reflecting the era. “This mission outfit, with just tonal markings on the robe, are inspired by the Jedi Temple architectural details. Many new fans may not even notice these very subtle additions,” Alders says. “The temple attire, however, from this special time of the golden age of the Jedi, feels so right with its elegance, and we are all extremely grateful for the artists that helped us arrive at such a beautiful solution for this important milestone in the Star Wars timeline.”

Alders and his team of artists took great care in getting these designs right — making sure they were worthy of the story, and a character loved across the world.

“I do not think that I, or anyone on our team, fully realized what a huge task this was,” Alders says. “But looking at where we arrived, after many countless explorations and iterations with various creative minds and artists, it feels authentic to what this noble Jedi would wear. Dressing Yoda for this epic time period, and creating designs adorned with gold, using beautiful fabrics and details, is something that he and all of the Jedi very much deserve, and the end result, I think, is gorgeous, and really celebrates this exciting and visually rich, gilded era.”

Iron_lord, DarthJaceus and Daneira like this.
  7. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I have to say... the this High Republic stuff is really starting to intrigue me. I'm glad to see Star Wars is starting to explore different eras and dig deeper into the Jedi/Force side of the franchise.

I also love the designs of the High Republic Jedi! I dig the fantasy vibe. It would be cool if this take place before the Jedi started losing their way, as depicted in the PT, or if we saw the beginnings of that.

I've been out of the loop of current Star Wars literature for quite a while now, but I think this might pull me back in.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Somehow I find it both appropriate and amusing that even the 700 year old frog wizard can get in on the latest Jedi fashions.:p

Iron_lord and Daneira like this.
  9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    This is, of course, for the Marvel High Republic comic by Cavan Scott, which this is not the thread for.

11. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I’m starting to really look forward to the High Republic stuff as well. Although I really didn’t enjoy Last Shot, I’m interested to see what Older comes up with here. A youthful Yoda (a mere 700 years of age) mentoring padawans as they travel the galaxy getting into various scrapes should provide an enjoyable yarn for readers of all ages.

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    I think it will be an enjoyable read also.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Synopsis.
    https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/star-wars-the-high-republic-adventures-1/
    In the days of the High Republic a team of inexperienced Padawans race to Trymant IV to aid its citizens after an attack by the Nihil, a band of dangerous marauders, leaves the city on fire. Padawans Lula, Farzal, and Qort do their best to help as many people as they can. Meanwhile, Zeen and Kriz, part of a group that resents and fears the Jedi, must decide whether they can accept their help or try to save the day on their own.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's pretty heavy for an Adventures comic. Sounds more in line with the Destroyer Down mini than the rest of Adventures.

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    You can tell the darkest story in the simplest, most childish ways. Revenge of the Sith has a Little Golden Book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You can tell ROTS in a Little Golden Book.

Should you tell ROTS in a Little Golden Book?

17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Is there a release date for this project? Thanks.

18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The project itself begins with two books on January 5th, but we don't have a release date for this comic specifically yet.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  19. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Good to know.Thanks for the update!:)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    The IDW website says this series is coming out in February.

21. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
  22. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
  23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Iron_lord and starfish like this.
  24. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I believe Soule’s book is supposed to start things off, both in terms of releases and in-universe time wise

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Where comics are concerned all bets are off until a week before the comic ships.

There is a regularly updated releases thread in Lit that covers all of this for you.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020