main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The High Republic by Cavan Scott (Marvel comic book series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    http://cavanscott.com/2020/02/26/introducing-star-wars-the-high-republic/

Star Wars: The High Republic is set on Starlight Beacon, the Jedi’s base of operation out on the Galactic Frontier.

The exciting thing is that while we have seen Jedi Masters with their Padawans and Jedi Knights operating on their own, here we follow a group of Jedi of different ages and experience operating as a team.

We also focus on Keeve Trennis, a newly-minted Jedi who finds herself stationed on the Beacon. She’s a good Jedi. In fact, she’s a great Jedi, but she doesn’t believe it, especially when she realises she’s surrounded by real legends.

And her problems are only just beginning, especially as a Great Disaster ravages the Frontier, because wherever there is a Great Disaster there are dark forces who see a Great Opportunity…

2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Well thanks to dooku Jedi lost we know Keeve Trennis will eventually leave the Jedi order and become one of the lost twenty

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh sugar yeah.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I love this level of interwoven continuity.

5. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I wonder what that will mean for Keeve's storyline. The other two known members of the Lost Twenty (Darth Krall and Dooku) fall to the Dark Side. Will the same happen to her? Or will her departure from the order be more like Ahsoka's?

Tython Awakening likes this.
  6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I personally would rather if most of the Lost Twenty hadn't fallen to the dark side.
    The more Sith, or even dark siders in their ranks, the weirder it becomes that the Jedi have statues remembering them in the library.

7. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I hope that there's more exploration of some of the stuff we see in the PT and TCW.

8. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Im sure their is going to be at least one dark jedi in this era. Give an opponent to the Jedi that is trained in saber usage that is also not a Sith.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I also got the impression that Jedi falling to the dark side was very unusual as far as the Jedi knew from when the Sith went “extinct” to AOTC.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the baddies on the cover to me indicates this would be the book about the Nihil

11. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    It's a variant edition cover.

12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    This is what I'm looking forward to the most from project luminous.

13. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    When does this come out?

Hopeless likes this.
  14. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I can't find a specific date for the comic. I don't imagine it's far from the late August release date of the main novel.

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-star-wars-the-high-republic-1-exclusive-preview
    There’s something at once novel and familiar about the new era of Star Wars storytelling, a fact made immediately clear by the initial pages of the upcoming Marvel Star Wars: The High Republic comic series. “You’ll see things you never expected in a Star Wars story,” says writer Cavan Scott.

The era, set some 200 years before the events in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, has only been glimpsed in concept art showing bold new characters and hinting at a more opulent era for the Jedi peacekeepers. Now, we’re ready to take our first steps into that sumptuous world, with interior pages as well as a cover by artist Phil Noto.

Scott was part of the core team of authors who gathered at Skywalker Ranch in 2018 to help forge a path for the interwoven tales that the project would encompass. “I came up with the character of Keeve Trennis in our first Project Luminous summit,” Scott says. “Now to see her coming to life through Ario [Anindito] and Mark [Morales’] art is wonderful.” In the pages below we find the fierce young Padawan Keeve focused on her training and trying to prove herself to her teacher, the Trandoshan Jedi Master Sskeer, who seems to have experienced a very common problem in Star Wars: He’s missing an arm.

“The pages the art team have been putting together are just beautiful,” Scott says. “Keeve is exactly how I imagined. No, actually she is a lot more. The facial expressions Ario has given her in these early pages helped inform the way her character responded to events in later issues. That’s what I love about comics. It’s a true collaboration.”

Behind the scenes, Scott and Anindito met via Zoom call to discuss the series early on, but the conversation devolved into two hours of gushing about their mutual interests. “Before we got started on the pages, Ario and I got together and we geeked out completely about our love for comics in general and Star Wars in particular, even getting to the point when it all became a bit ’show and tell’ with us pulling out our favorite Star Wars figures and toys,” Scott says.

After all, part of the fun of creating Star Wars today is drawing on the decades of lore already in existence with creators who first fell in love with the saga as fans. “Helping build this part of the Star Wars mythos is a dream for all of us at Marvel,” says Marvel editor Mark Paniccia. For instance, the small winged creatures Keeve encounters on Shuraden are the Ximpi, “a race that one of my fellow High Republic story architects, Charles Soule, created for the Lando Calrissian mini-series back in 2016,” Scott adds. “I loved them then and when they popped up again in Doctor Aphra, I couldn’t resist going to their home planet. One thing we’ll learn about Keeve is that she’s always picking up waifs and strays on her travels. She just can’t help herself.”

In StarWars.com’s exclusive preview at the debut issue’s first few pages, we get our first look at the master and apprentice in action, as Keeve begins her Jedi trial under the watchful gaze of her master, Sskeer. “But of course, not everything goes to plan…” Scott says.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Is this the first time in the nu canon we have seen a Jedi padawan wield a double bladed lightsaber?

I do like how some hilts of this era are more fancy then the Late Republic hilts.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    So far, so good.

darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Daniel like this.
  18. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    art looks incredible.

19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah, that looks fun

20. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Exciting previews. Jedi Keeve's half-shaved hair style look is cool.

The variant comic artwork above with the two figures has been teased for so long, it may go down as famous (or infamous).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  22. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    More pages and quotes from today's NYCC panel, via Polygon:
    Interior art by Ario Anindito:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some early concept art by Phil Noto: (sorry if this is old -- couldn't remember if we've already seen this finished piece or only an in-progress/uncolored version)

[​IMG]

=D= Lovely art.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    chrcharcor2 and JediBatman like this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #1

CAVAN SCOTT (W) • ARIO ANINDITO (A)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    Variant Cover by ARIO ANINDITO
    Variant Cover by SWAY
    VARIANT COVER BY ASHLEY WITTER
    Concept Art Variant Cover by PASCAL BLANCHE & GONZALO KENNY
    BEFORE THE SKYWALKER SAGA! THE GOLDEN AGE OF THE JEDI!
    A new era of STAR WARS storytelling begins. It is centuries before the SKYWALKER SAGA. The JEDI are at their height, protecting the galaxy as REPUBLIC pioneers push out into new territories. As the Frontier prepares for the dedication of majestic STARLIGHT BEACON, PADAWAN KEEVE TRENNIS faces the ultimate choice — will she complete her Jedi Trials or rescue the innocent from disaster? New Jedi! New ships! New evils to fight!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2020 Lucasfilm Ltd.

Daneira likes this.
  24. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I wonder who those twins(?) on the cover are

25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yay lots of green sabers

Ghost likes this.