main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Spielberg Not Directing Indy 5- James Mangold in Talks to Replace

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Bazinga'd , Feb 26, 2020.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    War Horse, Tin Tin And The Secret Of The Unicorn, Lincoln, Bridge Of Spies, Ready Player One, The BFG, and The Post all excellent movies IMHO, that I saw all in the theater!

I am personally fine with this Mangold is a really good Director I think all the Disney Star Wars movies were great even without Lucas so a non Spielberg Indiana Jones should be fine!

I think it boils down to nothing lasts forever time marches on. I figured this would happen eventually so its not surprising at all.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I’m with you and I have no problem at all watching Indy inspired films like say National Treasure or The Mummy for example. I like them.

But then straight away films like that get compared to Indiana Jones, so I suppose looking at it from a film makers point of view instead of making an Indy-esque new character that will get compared and accused of being a derivative rip off.... why not just make an Indy film with a new actor playing him. They’ve already got a baseline audience who will go and see it so the marketing aspect is virtually in place already, it’s not like starting from scratch.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  3. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    And why Indiana Jones wasn't accused of being a derivative rip off of James Bond?

Either because they managed to create something original inspired by something they loved (therefore, it IS possible to do it).

Or because back then, Internet wasn't infested with trolls and so-called-critics waiting to criticise everything left, right and center, and tear it appart no matter what.

indydefense and christophero30 like this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    That kind of happened to Bond after the Austin Powers movies. It needed to go in a different direction; which the Craig Bond films did. Wonder if Indy needs to do that. Keep the fun, but maybe change it up a bit.

5. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I think this may be for the best. Spielberg is obviously still a great filmmaker, but I'm not so sure that he's still the right guy to do an Indiana Jones movie. His sensibilities have changed over the years, and as a result, we saw a different kind of Indy in KOTCS. Indy in KOTCS seemed far removed from the guy who nonchalantly shot the swordsman in ROTL, and very far from the one who threw a flaming skewer through a man's heart in TOD. I'm not saying that Indy movies need to be excessively violent, but Indy's devil-may-care attitude when it came to dealing with his enemies was part of what made him an entertaining character. Spielberg admits that he's not so comfortable showing that sort of thing anymore, and that he feels more socially conscious, so maybe it's best to let someone else handle the directing this time around. Again, I'm NOT saying I want Indy 5 to be gruesome, but I do want to see some of that classic Indy attitude again.

At the same time, I hope Mangold keeps some of Spielberg's style intact. One of the great things about Indy movies is that there was always a good sense of geography during the action scenes. The audience always knew what was happening and where everyone was. Many actions films lose that sense of geography. Hopefully Mangold will follow Spielberg's approach in this regard.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I dont think you can reboot Raiders or Last Cruisade, no way no how-too much of a classic, You cant reboot Cassablanca or Gone with the Wind, can you?

Maybe a reboot of Temple or Crystal Skulls possibly.

christophero30 likes this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I meant a reboot of the franchise itself - younger actor, for one. Maybe he could be an archaeology student being mentored by Harrison Ford as Indiana, for example. I agree just remaking the same films wouldn't fly.

Bazinga'd and christophero30 like this.
  8. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Temple of Doom please. fortune and glory

9. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I like that idea, but you have to find the right cast. Not easy to replace Ford and Karren Allen.

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Mola Ram in kindergarten planning world domination.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Ford and Allen could still be in it - both could be on a dig with younger students or graduates as the main 'action' figures.

12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Starring Stewie Griffith from Family Guy. Actually, he would be a perfect young Mola Ram.

Sarge, LAJ_FETT and christophero30 like this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Of course but do you want Shia in another Indy movie?

Edit: Sorry about the double post.

14. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I actually thought of adding that lol. A Lego Indy movie would be fun.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's why I didn't say son. If Indy is mentoring a student or students they don't necessarily have to be family.

Bazinga'd and christophero30 like this.
  16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    ooh you double posted [face_tee_hee]

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I know. But my point is that casting is absolutely key for any future Indy movie if Ford and Allen are not the leads.

18. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I'm not a huge fan of rebooting it but Disney's gonna do it anyway so I might as well get on board.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think there's enough good talent out there to take a lead.

20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I'm serious about the Lego Indy movie. It's low risk and people would enjoy it. The more I think about it Manigold is a good choice.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'd go for that - some of the SW-related Lego shows I've seen are pretty good. Don't get whoever did Lego Movie 2 though - that sucked.

22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Lego Batman movie was really good.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I didn't care for that one - I just don't like the Batman character in the Lego films. Too noisy. Apart from him I liked the first Lego film a lot though.

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    "I'm Bazman" :cool:

Darkslayer and christophero30 like this.
  25. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    One potential issue with Mangold is that according to imdb page, he has 2 projects in the pre-production phase. This could be what Harrison Ford was referring to when he mentioned "scheduling issues" with the film.

christophero30 and BigAl6ft6 like this.