main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fanfiction Interview Thread - Current Interview: Vehn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Feb 6, 2020.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @mavjade

* Favorite flavor of ice cream?

* Is there a non-sci-fi movie you've watched and rewatched ;) and why?

* What part of writing fic comes easiest/hardest and why? This could relate to genre or plotting.

* What do you do when you get stuck?

* For SW, the Legends characters you wish would get re-canonized?

* Which SW character's back story do you hope/wish gets presented?

* Favorite season of the year and why?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    What's a word that you know is pronounced one way, but you still pronounce it wrong?

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think probably the Hapans. It seems like I like the fashion of monarchies. :p

So, to be honest, I don't think that much about world building unless it's specific to the plot of a fic. I'm really much more character driven than anything. While I appreciate culture and architecture, I don't know enough to really answer without doing a ton of research. I'm sorry. :(

Hmmm.... I really loved Mira's answer of Stitch, but I'm going to go with Vision from the MCU. (Can I say that I'm super excited for WandaVision on Disney+!) I think he's a really cool character and would fit in the SW 'verse well.

Maybe vampires? They used to be human but aren't any longer.

Sloth! The TV show The Magicians has a sloth that is on the high counsel and I love her. But also penguins because they've always been my favorite animal.

- - -
    - - -

Joey Lucas! I love her, I always wished she was on more. I love Marlee Matlin in just about anything (and just FYI for anyone who also loves her, she was on The Magicians!) but her Joey is just so awesome! Don't get me wrong, I love me some Lord John Marbury and I laugh every time, but Joey has my heart in this. Oh, and Mrs. Landingham, she's the best. But yeah, I'm still going with Joey.

Hmmm... I'm sure there's someone I'm forgetting but right now it's a toss up between Marion Coatsworth Hay (and I know you heard her name in her voice if you know TWW). I have a Francis Scott Key Key Keychain on my car keys. And Evelyn Baker Lang because come on... it's Glen Close!

I have a few, but The Magicians tops the list. I wrote one fic for it, but the rest just never came. It should be a slam dunk... they are magicians saving worlds. I ADORE pretty much all the characters and I have a strong 'ship. They just don't come to me for some reason. :(

- - -
    - - -

Do it!!! :D Sorry that wasn't a question, but I needed to get it out!

Ohh... good question. Even though it's not profound or anything amazing, I'd love to be able to sing well. I LOVE to sing, I'm always singing, but I'm not good at it despite being in Show Choir in high school.

If the borough of Brooklyn was it's own city, it would be the 4th largest city in the USA. NYC is also the most linguistically diverse city in the world with over 800 languages spoken.

1. Trek to Everest Base Camp - I don't have any desire to climb Everest but there's a two week trek to Base Camp I'd love to do.
    2. And to that, climb one of the Seven Summits - probably Kilimanjaro
    3. I'm sure I have other things, but for the life of me I can't think of another on at the moment.

Since the vast majority of music I listen to are musical cast recordings which need to go in order, I rarely use shuffle. But I will put my music library on iTunes on shuffle and see what we get:
    "Walk Through The Fire" from Once More, With Feeling - The Buffy the Vampire Slayer Cast
    "Grasslands Chant" - from The Lion King - Original Broadway Cast Recording
    "One Day More" from Les Miserables - Live 2010 Cast Recording (My favorite song from Les Mis!)
    "Things I Never Said" from First Date - Original Broadway Cast Recording
    "Les Poissons" from The Little Mermaid - Movie Soundtrack

- - -
    - - -

I did see it. I went into it wondering if they'd be able to translate some of the fundamental parts of the story to film. I'm usually not someone who says "The book was better" because I can usually separate them into the two mediums which work very differently. I didn't hate the movie, but I feel like it's one that just needs the audience to be imagining it and not seeing it.

I'm team Peeta. He's sweet, caring, kinda unassuming, loyal. He truly loves Katniss. And I'll say the movies influence me a bit here I love Josh Hutcherson in that role.

I had not heard that and... eh... I don't know how I feel. I'm leaning toward I don't need it, but if she feels like there's a good story there that adds to the overall story, then more power to her. I'll probably read it.

I'd have to say Lupin. I don't know that I know exactly why, he was just always one of my favorite characters. It didn't hurt that he was friends with my very favorite character, Sirius and married Tonks.

I'm a Hufflepuff. I think the first time I ever took a sorting quiz and it said Gryffindor and I laughed. I'm sooo not a Gryffindor. If you look at the traits list, I'm about the opposite. Most every other time I've gotten Hufflepuff because I'm not really competitive (my favorite games are cooperative), I try my best to be inclusive and kind.

I'm going to come back to the next questions tomorrow so I don't have a HUGE wall of text. But keep 'em coming!

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t know if this has been asked but what is your favorite lightsaber color?
    @mavjade

5. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes.

:p I love ice cream so it's hard to pick a favorite. When I lived in Boston, it had the best ice cream and that's the thing I probably miss the most. There was a small greater Boston area chain called JP Licks and every month they'd have 3 or 4 new flavors and every March they'd have a Jameson's Irish Coffee ice cream that was sooo good. Here in NYC it's probably The Chinatown Ice Cream Factory's ginger ice cream. My favorite soft serve type is Big Gay Ice Cream's American Globs which is "Vanilla ice cream & extra dark pretzel bits all sealed in a salty chocolate shell. We smash & stomp pretzel chunks into soft serve then drop it in chocolate dip."

How long do you want this list to be? :p
    If we're talking in my life, the movie I've probably watched the most is Days of Thunder. When I was in middle school I was obsessed and watched it more days than not. Even now, though I will go years between watching it, I can quote basically the whole movie. And along those lines, I've seen Top Gun maaaaany times as well.

Titanic is the movie I saw the most in the theater, I think something like 14 times? What can I say, I was a teenager.

A Chorus Line is one of my comfort movies and is probably the only instance of a movie musical that I like the added song, and in this case, better than the song it replaced.

Dead Poets Society is my I need a good cry movie. And we watch Love Actually every Christmas.

Recently, it's been the act of getting ideas into words. But generally, I find that I'm not great at fleshing out the story with imagery and world building. I tend to be more character driven so I find dialogue and character building the easiest and l forget to the things that give a reader the full picture.

Generally, I'd skip a part that was not working for me and come back with a note to myself what I wanted to add. So sometimes I'll have part of a story and then [this thing happens here] and then more story.

I feel like most people know my answer to this, but Mara Jade. Even if she wasn't Luke's wife, I'd still love her to be a part of canon as long as she was mostly still the same character. Outside of her, probably Wraith Squadron, though I don't know how I fully feel about that. I'd love Aaron Allston's characters to be canon, but it would be hard since he's no longer here to do it.

I'm so excited for the Kenobi series, it better actually get off the ground! I'm also really excited for the Cassian Andor series! Those two would probably be the ones I'd be the most interested in anyway so it works out well for me!

Fall. I love wearing slightly warmer clothes but still don't need to bundle up. Warm days feel like a gift before it starts getting cold. I love the leaves turning, the start of the smell of wood burning fireplaces.

I HATE being hot, so summer is right out. I don't mind being on vacation where it's hot, but when I'm trying to go about my daily life, it's terrible. Also, when I get too hot I get migraines, so the summer is pretty miserable for me unless I'm inside. Spring is too much rain and allergies, though I do like the temperatures. Winter is probably my second favorite. I love a brisk morning with a warm coffee in my hand. I love snow. I love coats. My dog loves snow and it makes me happy to see him so happy. That being said, usually by mid to the end of February, I'm ready to move on. I don't think I could live somewhere that didn't have all 4 seasons year around.

- - -
    - - -
    Forte - as in ones strong suit. "Singing is not my forte."
    It's actually pronounced fort, but Americans pronounce it For-tay. But if you pronounce it like fort, people either don't know what you are talking about or think you are an idiot so I don't.
    Now in fairness, they have added the most common pronunciation to the Webster's Dictionary but under often pronounced and there is some debate as to how it should be pronounced due to it's origins. (Link to Webster's)

- - -
    - - -

Purple! But more because it's my favorite color than anything, but it doesn't hurt that Mara Jade's first saber was that color. :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    1 - If you were a professor (or had another role as an adult) at Hogwarts, what class would you teach/job would you have?

2 - Which West Wing character do you relate the most to?

3 - What do you do when you want to write, but no ideas are coming to you?

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    favourite parings in SW?

favourite non-canon parings in SW?

favourite parings in non-SW fandoms?

favourite crack parings? In any fandoms.

any parings that have great chemistry but should not get together? In any fandom

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'd like to say I'd do something fun like transfiguration or potions, but I'd probably get myself or someone else killed. So I'd probably be the nerd that is obsessed with Muggles and teach Muggle studies.

Hmm... it probably depends on my mood and what day it is.
    I really identify with Toby's introvert and the huge need/want to help people but also hate people at the same time. But I'm not nearly as grumpy as Toby.
    [​IMG]

I think I'm a bit of idealist, like Sam. Also, I'd totally promise a widow something I'd think would never happen and then I'd have to follow through with it because I'd never say no. I'm not nearly as smart as Sam, but that goes for any character.

But if I had to pick one person, it would probably be Donna. I think I identify with her naivete, her obsession organization, and her want to learn about my job as much as humanly possible. I'm also very awkward like she is. But I certainly don't have her boldness, I'd never hire myself for a job!

I generally try to find some other art form to inspire me. I'll watch/read the source material or listen to music. I'll also try to write in a different place than on my couch, I'll move rooms or sit on the floor. If I can, I'll go to a completely different place like outside or a coffee shop. I find I'm most productive on a plane when it doesn't have in seat entertainment. Nothing like being stuck for a few hours and in an unusual place to get the creative juices flowing!

- - -
    - - -

Luke/Mara, no question is my SW OTP. I also always enjoyed Jacen and Tenel Ka before that went off the rails. Wedge/Iella Antilles, Coran/Mirax Horn, Kell Tainer/Tyria Sarkin are all ships I always like.

Even though it stopped making sense as the now Legends progressed, I always loved the Ben Skywalker/Jysella Horn pairing. I so wanted the Skywalkers and Horns to be in-laws.

Do you have awhile? :p These aren't nearly all of them, but ones that I read the most currently.

So I'm a kinda weird fan in that I tend to have multiple ships with the same person, so while I have one I prefer, I still enjoy reading other stories.

The West Wing: Josh Lyman/Donna Moss is my favorite but I also ship Josh/Sam Seaborn, and Josh/Joey Lucas

NCIS: Tony Dinozzo and just about everyone except Ziva David. There's a theory in the NCIS fandom that Tony is the little black dress of fandom and he can be shipped with just about anyone from any fandom. I find it pretty true. I can't even pick a favorite. But I will say my two favorite NCIS stories are cross-overs and feature Tony/Greg House (from House, MD) and Tony/Mark Watney (The Martian)

The Magicians: Quentin Coldwater/Eliot Waugh and Quentin/Eliot/Margo Hanson

Queer as Folk (US): Justin Taylor/Brian Kinney

Most recent fandom is Prodigal Son : Malcom Bright/Dani Powell and Malcom Bright/JT Tarmel

I once wrote a Mara Jade/Wes Janson story that ended up having me kinda liking it.
    I also once wrote a Torchwood story that was Ianto Jones/Martha Jones and I think it still remains my most reviewed story ever.
    I do have some limits --though they are few-- I'll ship almost anyone with anyone else so long as it makes an inkling of sense.

Reylo falls in this category for me. People can forgive each other for things, but Kylo's sins are just waaaay too for me.

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @mavjade What do you think of the time change and how difficult is it for you?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @mavjade

What was the most ambitious/challenging dish/dessert you've ever attempted to make?

If you could come up with a very romantic build up for L/M getting engaged, what would it be? :)

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    What TV game show/competitive reality TV do you think you would have a shot at winning?

What genre of fic do you enjoy writing about most? Reading? If they are different, why do you think that is?

Did you ever finish listening to the West Wing Weekly? What was your favourite moment or interview they did?

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Ugh, I hate it. I wish we'd just stay on daylight saving time and never change again. I think the spring forward is easier than the fall back, but I still find it difficult because I can't go to sleep at the time I want to. And while I don't have kids, I do have a dog that is very schedule oriented, and changing time messes him up which means I have to see more sad puppy eyes (and when we fall back, instead of waking at 7am he wakes at 6am.)
    - - -
    - - -
    It would mostly be desserts with me. I'm not a very good cook but I can bake. Though I don't know that I've ever done something super challenging. The first time I ever made a cake with fondant (it was marshmallow based, not normal fondant and tasted pretty good) took a lot of work. It was a poker table with giant cards in the center and then little cards all around the table (like people would be sitting there) with little chip stacks.
    I've also made some pretty detailed sugar cookies that looked like Nintendo controllers. It wasn't hard, just very time consuming.

I also once made my own sourdough starter, kept it alive for quite awhile, including a move 750 miles away, and then promptly killed it by forgetting about it right after I moved. :(

I think I would have just made it feel a little more natural, that it would be obvious they were falling in love. I mean, even if it went really trope-y to the 'Oh wow! We've been dating all this time' (and I love that trope, just FYI!). I don't know that it would be overly mushy because Mara just wasn't there at that time, she would run the other direction.

- - -
    - - -
    I used to say Survivor because when I watched it, I used to think people were so stupid. They had things on them they could use as tools or to help them in other ways and they didn't use them. But then I thought about the fact that I'll get a migraine if I don't eat lunch, so yeah.... that's probably right out. I'm also not good at anything where you have to come up with answers to questions under pressure, so while sitting at home I'm sometimes okay at Jeopardy, I'd bomb if I was actually on it. Waayy too much test anxiety.

So I'm probably going with The Price is Right. I'm not terrible at guessing prices of things and a lot of it is luck anyway.

I most enjoy writing angst, or at least just about everything I write ends up angsty. I most enjoy... probably hurt/comfort. While they can certainly be separate genres, I do think they kinda go hand in hand. I don't know why I tend to write more angst than hurt/comfort other than a lot of times I don't intend to write angst, it just comes out.

Ugh, no. :( If I was listening by myself I would have been pretty much up to date as I listen to podcasts allll the time. But dp and I listen to it together and the times we usually listen is when one of us is cooking or on road trips. Well, we haven't had cooking gas in our entire building since July so the only cooking that happens is in the crockpot or instant pot, which basically means dumping things in, not a lot of time for listening. And we don't take many road trips. So we're currently almost done with Season 5.

Some of my favorite moments are when Josh Malina and Brad Whitford start at each other. You can tell they truly like each other and care for each other, but their bickering is hilarious. So basically any time Brad is on, but since he plays my favorite character and I love him as an actor anyway, I always love him on there.

One that is the most memorable is when Richard Schiff was talking about how they wrote "In Excelsis Deo" and how he got really upset and hurt how they orignally wrote the part. Even all those years later, he was getting emotional about it. And Aaron Sorkin (I think, though it may have been Tommy Schlamme) came back and said they were going to fix it, and they did. Though it makes me scared for what he's going to say about Toby's character assassination in Season 7.

I also really loved the episode where they talked to Lin Manuel Miranda about all his West Wing references in Hamilton and how much he loved TWW. It was basically an hour long nerd fest.

But I also really love it when they talked to people in the real jobs, how things work in real life, and to listen to all these people who were inspired by TWW to go into government service.

13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    A friendly reminder that we have one week left to ask @mavjade all our questions!

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  14. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    And it's done! I'm three episodes in and I'm already loving it like we've never been apart. :D

So! For a few more questions . . .

* If you could have a super power, what would it be?

* If you could visit one fictional place, where would it be? One RL place?

* What's your favourite musical? Or top three or so?? I loved seeing all of the showtune references in your answers. :D

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What fictional culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

What real life culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @mavjade

* Did you have a plushy growing up?

* If you could have an exotic pet, what would it be?

* For scenery, do you like ocean, moutains, or forests?

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeeessss!!! :D

I think probably teleportation, because it would be really cool to just be somewhere else when you want to. I want to be on a beach in Fiji - done. Want to visit the Amazon - done. But of course you want to be careful to not accidentally teleport into a dangerous place, like a volcano or the deep sea.

Oh, there are so many for both fictional and real world!
    Fictional: I think Fillory from The Magicians. Talking animals, the wellspring of all magic, and yet a simple, whimsical life.
    Real: Antarctica. There are cruises to Antarctica, dp and I almost did that for our honeymoon with National Geographic but it was just too expensive. I think it would just be an amazing and beautiful, once in a lifetime experience.

This is really hard for me because there are so many that I love. I usually break it down into subjective favorites and more objective favorites. Even though it's all subjective, some are probably considered better musicals than the others. How about top 6?? Even that was hard!

Subjective favorites:
    Hair - I first listened to it when I was 8 and fell in love. My poor family who had to listen to it over and over and over again when I was younger. It's still one of my favorites today. When I'm having a bad day, Hair cheers me up!

1776 - I love it so much, but it's maybe not the best musical ever. There's a point in the middle where it 30 minutes without a song. They are going to do a revival soon and I'm so excited to see how they update it for today's audiences.

Objective Favorites:
    A Chorus Line
    Les Miserables
    Hamilton
    Ragtime - which I think is such an underrated show. It's hard to do because it's a HUGE cast, but it's fantastic. I've unfortunately never seen a professional production of it.

- - -
    - - -

So I have given these two questions some thought and I don't know that these would be my final answers, but maybe The Time Lords from Doctor Who. How wouldn't be that hard, I don't think, because it's moving from one fantasy 'verse to another. I love the idea of a culture of people who deal with time travel.

Maybe the Celts. I don't know how exactly as I'm not that great with this type of thing, but I think it could be interesting.
    - - -
    - - -

Oh yes, I had quite a few! My favorite was a 2-ish foot emperor penguin. I still have him to this day, he sits on the shelf above my bed. I also had a Raggedy-Ann my aunt made me, she embroidered a heart and "Love You" into her chest. She also sits above my bed.

Definitely a penguin! They're pretty noisy and don't smell great, but I'd be happy!! Penguins have always been my favorite animal.

Yes.

I love them all! I grew up in the mountains, so I probably feel the most at home there, and that's what I miss the most having moved to a city. I miss my mountains. I've always loved going hiking in forests and camping. I also love going to the beach and just listening to the ocean. Even though I live in a city and I love it, I do love nature and being outside!

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What now Legend non-Jedi/Sith Force tradition would you like to see in the new EU and why?

What, now Legend, non-humans species that have never gotten any real description would you like to know more about?

Which one/s of the new non-human races we have seen in ST and the NEU would you like to know more about?

Which background character/s in ST deserve to get its/their story told?

19. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh, Antarctica! What an awesome answer to that question, I totally agree that it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity!

And you have EXCELLENT taste in musicals. You had me at 1776! [face_laugh] [face_mischief] [face_love]

So! For a few more questions, that somehow all came out all about food . . . :p

* Do you cook? If so, what's your speciality? Or if not, what's your favorite thing to order out for?

* Are you a coffee or a tea person?

* What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

* New York is known for it's food! What are your favorite MUST TRY recommendations?

:D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    The Witches of Dathomir and their traditions. I always loved when we got to see them and I'd love to see even more about them. I guess this kinda answers the culture question too, because their culture is pretty cool, I just couldn't think of it.

My memory for things is so terrible, I don't know that I'd remember much even if there was a lot! I was going to say Chadra-Fan, but they did end up in canon. You know who I think has gotten the canon shaft? Bothans. They got a mention in canon and then got more of a role in the EU and then nope, it was all taken back. Now all we have is that many died to bring us the second Death Star plans. I know that's not exactly what you asked, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

I'm going to put these together because I basically have the same answer, I want to learn more about the anzellan and I want to learn more about Babu Frik. He was absolutely one of my top delights of TROS and I need more of him and his species.

- - -
    - - -

I do! Though not really recently. The gas company shut off our entire buildings gas last July so we've had no stove or oven since then. I'm actually a much better baker than I am a cook. dp is the cook in the family. But if I had to pick something that's my cooking specialty it would probably be country fried steak even though it never comes out nearly as good as my grandmothers.
    But since we've not really been able to cook, my favorite thing to order out is probably either Sushi or there's this place that has the BEST patty melt and a great beet salad.

Yes.

I absolutely love both. I'm not fancy when it comes to coffee, I'm happy with a drip coffee (we drink a fairtrade Mexican coffee at home), black, nothing in it. I also love cold brew or ice coffee, again, black. If I'm feeling fancy I'll usually have a flat white and might go for one with a flavor if they are offering it.

Tea I drink soooo many kinds, I have an electric tea kettle that sets the temp based on what kind of tea it is. My favorite black tea is this one that is exclusive to David's Tea called Nepal Black. I certainly like some teas better than others, but the only one I've had I really didn't like was Matcha- but in fairness, I've only ever had Starbucks matcha so that might not count. I even like lapsang souchong which, at least in my experience, is the one people tend to dislike.

Hmm... weird for American's at least and freaked me out the most was probably reindeer when I was in Norway. I mean, it didn't help that dp kept talking about Rudolph while we were eating. :( I ate a mealworm in science class in middle school for bonus points.

This is always so hard to answer! There are so many restaurants in NYC that you could eat at a different one every day for your entire life and not eat at them all! It really depends on what kind of food you like and how much you want to spend. My favorite restaurants tend to not be in the more touristy areas because they are in the neighborhood where I live.
    Some of my favorites are all owned by the same people, I call them the Pickle restaurants because they are Jacobs Pickles (gives me my southern food fix), Maison Pickles (more upscale, French dips and cocktails, also has the patty melt I talked about above) and Lucky Pickle Dumpling Co. (what it says on the tin).

There's also this Asian fusion place called Red Farm that is great! My favorite Italian place is called Tessa, they make most of their own pasta, have interesting dishes but aren't crazy expensive. Miznon is an Israeli restaurant that I'd order from every single day if I could.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    What's your favourite thing about living in NYC? Least favourite? Do you see yourself living there for awhile?

Am I ever going to get my fic-gift :p? (I'm kidding)

Are you willing to forgive medical inaccuracies for the sake of a good story (fanfic and profic, your answers can be different)? How much inaccuracies are you willing to forgive?

22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    My very favorite thing is just being so close to so much. There are so many museums and theaters a short distance away, you can find just about any kind of food you'd want to eat. There are endless things to do, if you just look for them. Pretty much everything/everyone will come to you (bands, shows, actors, politicians, etc.) at some point. Also, a lot of things film here so it's always fun to see what the street is being blocked off for, and on occasionally finding yourself walking by a set. Public transportation that can get you pretty much anywhere

Least favorite is probably that because there are very few alley ways, there are no trash dumpsters which means the trash gets put on the curbs the night before trash day (three days a week). So in the summer when it gets really hot it smells like hot garbage in places.

I probably see us staying here. Even though we could get a much bigger place if we move out of the city, I think the goods outweigh to bads for us. dp grew up in Manhattan so this has always been home for him.

(And it occurred to me that we have some newer people who might be reading this, or others who might not know. dp I keep mentioning is dp4m on these boards, my husband.)

Yeessss...... ???

I mean, yes. I swear you will! The ideas are all there, it's just getting the words out.

I am! I know that not everyone knows medicine and you can do a ton of research and still not really understand or not be able to get things exactly right. If the story is good enough, I'm willing to forgive quite a bit. I actually like stories with medical plot lines (it's the hurt/comfort thing again), so I've read a lot and I can think of very few times I had to back out of a story because of it.

There are some things that will pull me out of the story, usually things that are common misconceptions but I can usually get past it. I'm much more forgiving of fanfic than profic because they have people who can help them research, but if it's a minor plot point, I don't really care.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is the New York subway really as terrible as all the jokes makes it seem?

24. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Thank you, @mavjade for being interviewed and if you want to answer that last question from @Gamiel feel free at any time!:)

Our next interview will be with another one of our awesome mods, @Briannakin. Thank you for volunteering to be interviewed on this thread. =D=Some starter questions to get the interview ball rolling:

1. If you could correct one common misconception about fan fiction, what would it be and why?

2. If you could visit any Star Wars world, which would it be and why?

3. What are some of your favorite hobbies, and why do you love them?

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks Mav for letting us get to know you more! And thanks devilinthedetails for being such a great thread host!

I guess if I have to pick one it would be the misconception that every fanfic author has delusions that they are going to be the next hit author like JK Rowling or George RR Martin. Sure many of us think it would be cool to publish something, but I know myself, and several others, aren't quitting our day jobs :p This is a hobby and many of us treat it as a hobby. There are a few naive fanfic writers who think they will be contacted by a publisher, but they are very much the minority. Most of us are just having fun, reading and writing stories we want to see. Most people who play guitar as a hobby know they aren't going to be the next rock-star and fanfic is no different.

(Also, the misconception that fanfic writing is somehow "not real writing" is also a related rant I could go on)

Alderaan (though definitely in the Old Republic era!). It looks so pretty and peaceful. They are also very "sci-fi"/ futuristic (if I can use that term) in the cities, but also still have nature. It would be an interesting blend of alien nature but also with all the cool technology and architecture, if that makes sense.

Also, Coruscant, just because I wanna know how having one huge city that covers a planet works.

Writing (obviously) because I like to escape to new worlds where I'm in control :p. I also enjoy quilting (though my sewing machine and all my supplies have yet to make the move to my new place - everything is still at my mother's because there just wasn't room when I initially moved - something I'm REALLY REGRETTING in light of current circumstances). I'm a very creative person but I suck at other creative outlets like drawing and painting, but quilting is something creative that I can do. Most of it is geometry and colour/pattern coordination (both things I love). Plus the end result is (usually, I make other things too) a cuddly blanket. And who doesn't love/can't use a cuddly blanket. Here's one of my personal faves, still on my bed: LINK.

Also, just a general note: most of you know that I am physically disabled which affects how long I can type for. I'm going to try to keep on top of questions (and with current events, that should not be difficult) but if you're the type of person who asks a lot of in-depth questions, I may be briefer depending on the day.