main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Sports and Coronavirus (aka the Rudy Gobert Appreciation Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 12, 2020.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    With parallel discussions happening just about everywhere, I thought we could use one thread to talk about all the wide-stretching impacts of Coronavirus.

For example, my phone just blew up with notifications of postponements from MLS. This on top of the NBA suspending their season, all the turmoil with college basketball, the possibility of the Seattle Mariners becoming a barnstorming team, and lots of others.

This inevitably leads to bleed in each sport thread, so why not start to compile some of the crossover thoughts into one thread?

Ghost and Darth Punk like this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, I'll just start with my blanket opinion:

Sports are an escape and a luxury. They should not add to the stress of a pandemic, and they should not aid in the spreading of a pandemic. Postponing, suspending, and cancelling is absolutely the right step, almost entirely across the board. Playing behind closed doors isn't enough, because you're still telling certain people (not just athletes - family, photographers, reporters, trainers, medics, facilities staff, etc.) that they need to travel and expose themselves to the virus for undue reasons. You're also diverting public resources to sporting events and away from where they could be used.

Does it really, really, really suck for the high school or college senior who won't get to finish their season? Yes.
    Does it really, really, really suck for the fan who needs the escape of watching his basketball team? Yes.

Does anything along those lines mean we should continue to have sports "as normal" or "as normal as possible". No.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    ok but what about my fantasy hockey team??? :_|

cubman987 and dp4m like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    nascar is shutting down. the promise of viral transactions taking place in plastic pools is what keeps fans coming to the track, not sure why they're so worried.

golf, on the other hand, could care less. and vince mcmahon will probably find some way to market off of it, lol. wwe would still be running those **** weekly programs while nuclear fire consumed the earth.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/51849902 - Olympic Torch was lit earlier today without spectators on hand. I'd hate to see the Games cancelled - athletes are training hard for them (assuming they don't have the virus) and for some it might be their last chance for a medal. Hopefully the virus will have died off by then.

Luke02, solojones and LloydChristmas like this.
  6. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Interesting for a Tarheels fan to call someone else’s weekly performance ****

All here for dragging Vince though, I bet he’s trying to repackage some poor guy as a virus character as we speak

dp4m, heels1785 and DarthIntegral like this.
  7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm shocked to learn that Vince hasn't had a wrestler take on the name "Cor Ona Virus" yet, with the new finisher "the COVID"

Luke02 and LloydChristmas like this.
  8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Does it really, really, really suck that Liverpool will have the season they were inevitably going to win cancelled? No.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i agree.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They wouldn’t have a finisher, they’d job out constantly because they’re a fake threat.

CT-867-5309 and DarthIntegral like this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    alpine skiing finals canceled last week. French Open will follow recommendations on cancellation, but they have a while. I know you've been waiting for the ski and tennis updates.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  13. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    MLB is going to begin in a few weeks. Could they possibly shift the entire schedule up a month? Like instead end of March we begin end of April? Same games and everything, nothing lost or cancelled, but just shifted up a month?

14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That would I think needs to happen @AutumnLight91 is delay the season by a month though unless they book a lot of day night doubleheaders, you are going to lose a month of games since there is no way they can end the season at the end of October and have the playoffs in November unless they want to play in true football weather.

Runjedirun likes this.
  15. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Long as them 'murica-hatin' terrorisms ain't kneelin' durin' mah nash'nul anthem!

16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    No fans at TPC though... One of my best friends was set to go and now is trying quite unsuccessfully to get refunds for everything.

Luke02 and heels1785 like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    MLB just suspended all operations indefinitely.

EDIT:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I wonder how long until the NFL cancels Draft events in Vegas. Obviously they can still draft, but having all those spectators there is a bad idea.

19. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I know this is all very necessary and right....but man it sucks.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I would hate for this to have happened the year we have the draft here (2023). Ugh.

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    So are Amerisports cancelled, or are they being played in empty arenas?

22. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Little bit of both

23. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    College wise, many are cancelling or playing without any fans. Professional are suspending with no play at all for now.

Mlb hasn't started but are going to announce soon. I have tickets to an April 22nd game, but if they delay goes into May my tickets along everyone who had some beforehand will probably get resolved for another game I'm guessing

Darth Punk likes this.
  24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
  25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Won’t a bunch of fans just go watch the games that are being played to empty arenas in a bar somewhere?