main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Which region have you lived in the most, or identify with the most?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Jul 28, 2019.

?

Which region have you lived in the most, or identify with the most?

1. USA - West (see map, green)

12.9%
  2. USA- Northeast (see map, blue)

21.4%
  3. USA - North Central (see map, orange)

14.3%
  4. USA - South & Appalachia (see map, red)

18.6%
  5. USA - Territories (see map, pink)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Canada

5.7%
  7. Australia or New Zealand

4.3%
  8. UK or Ireland

8.6%
  9. Europe (besides the UK & Ireland)

10.0%
  10. Everywhere else (I wish this poll allowed more than 10 options!)

4.3%
  1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Grew up in Munich and Madrid as a child, at 12 moved to Jeddah with my family for 5 years, then back to Munich, in 1993 discovered China and met my future and now ex-wife. Moved to China long-term in 2001, but unfortunately back to Europe (Germany and Spain) in 2011. If given a choice, I would go back to Southern China to live and work there anytime. That culture interests me far more than Europe. Unfortunately the situation has changed, politically, financially, family-wise, health-wise etc., so I won't be living in China in the future. But those years there will always be the favorite ones in my life, when I grew most and gained most experience. Japan or Vietnam would possibly be alternatives, but Europe simply isn't for me. The food, people, culture, lifestyle, climate, mentality... nothing here really attracts me. I feel like I'm in exile, even though most of my family is in Europe.

Ghost and Gamiel like this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I've lived in Illinois for 46 years, 26 of those in and around Chicago; spent a few years working in Austria. For the last 30 years I've spent a bit of every summer in Carinthia (Austria). As a child I spent my summers in Alabama.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I spent a few days in Salzburg back in 84. Austria is a beautiful country, and the cleanest one I ever saw.

Sith Lord 2015 and Rylo Ken like this.
  4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Lived most of my life in various parts of Florida, with a few intervening years in the Midwest and other parts of the South. Florida definitely deeply resonates as "home" for me in terms of the flora and fauna (little things like palm fronds moving gently in a balmy evening breeze or the cry of a passing seagull overhead, even in an otherwise mundane parking lot, never fail to enchant and soothe me!), but most parts of it are way too culturally and politically conservative for me.

I would love to live in a major "lefty" city like Portland OR or San Francisco, but I doubt that would ever be feasible at this point. I have also made several trips to Europe over the years and have always wondered/fantasized* about somehow possibly moving somewhere over there permanently, but again, for a combination of reasons, I don't see that as likely anytime soon.

(*meaning that I fully realize that my deep passion for European cultural history has always made me see it in a highly idealized/romanticized way:p)

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone else want to share?

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I always felt kind of an identity crisis growing up because my family moved every 6-ish years or so (not military or anything, just job changes and such), but living in Europe has taught me to just grumble "Texas" when people ask for specifics beyond "American" and move on with my life. :p

Darth Punk and Gamiel like this.
  7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I still refuse to participate because this map marks Missouri as the south.

Point Given likes this.
  8. Darrin Williams

Darrin Williams Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2020
    Was born in what is now Zimbabwe but Texas has been home for most of my life.

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    This poll is too bias towards the US.

Never knew @Ghost has become the nationalist. I've been away for far too long.

CairnsTony and Gamiel like this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I did this a couple years ago and it was hard to differentiate, there's just a lot of Americans here.

11. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    25 years in California in two blocks, with a five year interlude in Texas in between years 9-14. Lived in Utah for the last 16 months.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I’ve lived in Oregon all my life, with brief trips to California, Washington, Missouri, Tennessee, and Virginia sprinkled in there.

13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    The Midwest is missing

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Well, Bob, I'm not really missing it."

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

16. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone else want to share?

18. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Wow I literally never left

19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Now what is your mother’s maiden name?

And what is the name of your first pet?

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I voted Ireland but 2023 will mark the year that will finally tip over to Murica in terms of time spent. The good news is, if I live, my retirement plan is to pull up the anchor on North America forever in about 12 years to move back into my house in Belfast until the end comes.

As far as the listings some have shared...

- Conceived in Armagh.
    -Born in Philadelphia.
    -Philly turned out to be more of a warzone than Northern Ireland so I was sent back.
    - But then Northern Ireland took the slight edge as the bigger warzone so I was shipped back.
    - Did university at Temple in Philly and bought a house with a rental unit.
    - Moved back to Belfast, full time.
    - In 2003, moved back to Philly but was able to spend several months per year in NI.
    - In 2015, popped across the river to NJ.

Coruscant and Ghost like this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And then you starred as yourself in a TV show, The Fresh Prince of Belfast.

Gamiel and Sarge like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. It really was exactly like the song.

West Philadelphia, born and raised.
    The playground's where I spent most of my days.
    I got in 30 little fights and the city dropped a bomb on my neighborhood and my mom got scared and said,
    "You're going to live with your nan in Belfast!"

Gamiel, Sarge and Coruscant like this.
  24. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    OK, I'll bite...

Born above a shop in North London to Irish parents in 1965.
    Grew up in a hole called Houghton Regis, near Luton until my dad died, then moved to South London from the age of 2 to the age of 22.
    Moved to rural Kent to study Environmental Science in '88 and haven't lived in London since.
    Spent time part-living in France in the early 90s due to having a French partner.
    Lived in Spain for a while in the early noughties teaching English.
    Returned each time to rural Kent.
    Trained as a nurse between '03 and '06.
    Emirated to Australia in '07 to tropical north Queensland for 15 years as a nurse.
    Moved back to the UK - this time the Isles of Scilly - at the beginning of this year.

My accent has been described as a car crash of different influences.

I have passports for the UK, Australia and Ireland. I can legally reside in over 30 different countries. I wanted a Canadian passport as well, but was too lazy to move there.

Scilly is a weird place full of drunks, but easily the best place I have ever lived. It is also surprisingly diverse, with a small but thriving international community from all over the world, and a large LGBT community as well. So, right now, I identify with tiny windswept islands out in the Atlantic that have a unique identity. We should declare independence; I need another passport. I might start learning Cornish (I heard it being spoken the other day for the first time - we even have Cornish language radio here).

My Irish cultural background matters to me a great deal, but I have also had a strong affiliation with many African cultures for a long time, having grown up surrounded by people from said continent. I nearly moved to Kenya in the early 90s having done my first degree thesis there, and on another occasion was offered a teaching job in Simon's Town, South Africa. As I get older, I wonder what could have been.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    Gamiel, Coruscant and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  25. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    - Childhood spent in Argyll on Scotland’s west coast.
    - Moved to Glasgow area before high school and lived in that area most of my life.
    - I’ve spent periods of time elsewhere for work and study. Norway and New Zealand are two countries that I felt very comfortable in and I could happily live in either.

Gamiel and CairnsTony like this.