main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does Ben Solo Deserve his own movie?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PrincessKenobi , Jan 7, 2020.

?

Should there be a Ben Solo Movie?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm betting that the baby Ghost Ben has with Rey will get his own movie.

2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    JJ recently said Rey and Kylo were not "really" romantic, but were more like a brother and sister. I guess he was trying to go too deep into a misinterpretation of SW lore- Lucas had Leia kiss Luke BEFORE Lucas had decided they were siblings; the GFFA isn't all about partially sexualized sibling relationships. I mean, that was never intentionally part of Lucas's message.

That kiss scene really was a giant fail though. WTF was JJ thinking?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    wobbits and Darth_Bertie like this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I figure if that's where they want to go. Full on Romance. Then fine, go there and don't be vague about it. Just do it.

Similarly with Finn's motivations.

But don't half do it and then deny it. That's just a mess.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would've preferred avoiding the kiss myself, but I recognized it-even from first viewing-as a kind of kiss of two individuals at the end of a journey, who share a deep intimate connection. One that transcends general romantic feelings. Made sense to me.

But again-I'd have preferred they did without it.

Demon4x4, EHT and Iron_lord like this.
  5. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Well, he didn't deserve his own ghost. That's a first for a redeemed villain, or for a Skywalker for that matter. Maybe we are being told something through C3PO, who dies and then resurrects to a previous version.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post-but-what about Anakin? He was redeemed, and a Skywalker???

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Demon4x4 likes this.
  7. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Well, my post was somewhat cryptic. I meant this: as a redeemed Skywalker (Anakin), or at the very least as a Skywalker (Luke and Leia) Ben's ghost should have been on the screen at the end. That's the pattern, and Ben didn't follow it.

He's the first Skywalker not having that kind of closure. Anakin and Luke and Leia were Lucas' characters, and were given the Lucas' afterlife deal (FG). Ben/Kylo was JJ's, and maybe there's another idea(s) going on.
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads...-by-rae-carson.50052212/page-18#post-56536203

8. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I see. Thanks. I actually never really thought about why Ben didn't show up as a ghost at the end...Guess I just figured it was cos he didn't have that training, like the others did. I know Anakin didn't, but I always felt that (seeing as how he was literally created by the Force) he was a special case. However, if the idea is that Ben shows up to Rey later on in her future as a Jedi, then I suppose that would work as well. I suppose I'm pretty flexible in this area regarding Force ghost Ben.

9. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Kylo Ren and Yoda on a journey together, their bodies split in half and sewn together to create one innovative, subversive character. Pish posh to established narrative and canon: what we seek is a new vision.

Imagine Kylo Yoda arguing with itself over style and tactics, one smaller body stitched to the larger, red and green sabers striking like Christmas lightning against opponents, and sometimes, themselves.

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
  11. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    It could be compelling but it won't happen.

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think most would agree that we’ve seen enough of him. Though if it was really well done, by a master filmmaker/ showrunner, I would get behind it.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well... except those who share non-romantic intimacy don't much kiss deeply and passionately. There is no question that some amount of intense romantic feelings are involved in the way it was portrayed, even if they are ambivalent or accompanied by other feelings. That kind of kiss certainly is not in itself representative of two people sharing a long journey that is devoid of romantic feelings; I don't think the two are separable. Would it have made sense for Anakin and Obi to share long, intense kisses after "long journeys" together? Not unless they had feelings for each other that we don't know about, which is exactly my point. It certainly isn't the way siblings express affection for each other regardless of a "long journey." Remember, it was JJ who claimed they had a sibling type relationship, which makes the kiss all the more weird. For example, why wouldn't that moment more warrant a tearful hug? To me, it made no sense at all; it just didn't fit.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, I don't want to get too hung up on the whole "long journey" concept. That was just a passing pairing of words in my post, and not meant to be singled out as the whole of my point. I mean I did also reference a "deep intimate connection" as well, so...there's that.

At any rate, for my part, I definitely didn't interpret the kiss as "deep and passionate." It lasted for a few seconds, but they definitely weren't like making out or anything close to it. But then again, perception is reality I suppose, so it's open to interpretation I guess. Suffice it to say the way I interpreted it makes it easy for me to accept JJ's explanation of it after the film was released.

I will say that, having just seen TROS for the first time this last weekend, my wife agrees with you, that it wasn't devoid of romance. She actually was not at all surprised, and saw it as an "opposites attract" kind of attraction, the kind of love story where the two are constantly in conflict with and infuriate one another, and it finally boils over-especially once Rey saw he was Ben again-not Kylo Ren. Kind of...attracted to what he COULD be (Ben), not what he was (Kylo Ren). I was impressed-these thoughts are coming from a non Star Wars fan who really doesn't like watching movies that much! :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    lovethedarkside likes this.
  15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Your wife is an insightful woman apparently. =D=

16. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    That, and more-indeed. ;)

17. Master Jedi Luke Skywalker does

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2021
    2Cleva likes this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I should say that Kylo Ren aka Ben Solo was pretty much the one part of the ST I found myself noticeably wanting to see more of. So I wouldn't mind something like a spinoff of him in his early days with Snoke and the Knights of Ren, set a few years before TFA-just after the destruction of the Jedi temple. If the story is told from Kylo Ren's own perspective, it would be easy to leave Luke out of it, as Kylo Ren likely thought him dead (Luke said so), and he was at that point completely disconnected from his family. So not seeing Han or Leia would work ok too.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Palp_Faction likes this.
  19. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    I think we should and will see backfilling to account for the gaps in the ST. I'm not sure what medium it will come but we're already seeing it with the Mandalorian and possibly Bad Batch. I'm all for it personally. There is so much that was skipped over in fast forwarding to that point in time.

DARTH_BELO and Palp_Faction like this.
  20. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Seeing as TFA feels more like Ep8 than Ep7 because they missed out vital events, Ben Solo should definitely return in some form. We need to see the real Ep 7 where Ben falls to the dark side, not the one where he's already there.

21. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Ben Solo can remain dead for all I care. He has to be one of the most overrated characters in the Star Wars saga.

22. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. 30 years is a long time-longer even than the time between ROTS and ANH, by a lot! The possibilities of what we can see brought to light during that time (which even may help enrich parts of the ST) are exciting to me.

Vader Bob likes this.
  23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    We need a 2-hour workout montage to show us how he got so yoked between TFA and TLJ.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  24. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    “The Ben Solo Chronicles: How I Buffed Up within One Year, BIG TIME!” :cool: :kylo: :p

Glitterstimm likes this.
  25. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    He was buffed in TLJ?