main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Useful Tools and Resources for Writers | Come in and add your own! | Index updated 27 Dec 2017

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Chyntuck, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But if we keep it hostage we will do it in a castle behind walls with MACHICIOLATIONS!!!

:p

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Cowgirl Jedi 1701 likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay, maybe I'm just slow or really behind the time, but it's super easy to save webpages as PDFs. In Safari you just go file > export as PDF. Other browsers you have to go into print and change the destination, but this webpage gives good instructions (though it might be outdated for some browsers). It's a really fast and easy way to save your favourite fics (that doesn't involve endless copy and paste) for offline reading, backing things up, or if you want to save comments along with the story. You have to go page by page, but it's much faster than post by post.

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you.

I had no idea that a webpage could be saved as a pdf. I knew about HTML pages, from being an amateur coder years ago, so I could preserve formatting, but lose the pictures unless I captured them, hosted them, and edited the locations.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Here are the Wikipedia links to some speculative documentaries about alien life that might be inspiring when people designee alien lifeforms
    Natural History of an Alien
    Extraterrestrial
    Alien Planet

You can find those speculative documentaries on YouTube and I made some searches for some of the planets/creatures presented in those documentaries and you can find them with longer explanation and/or pictures at different wikis

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Here is another one, a bit more humourous (one of the 'dialects/accents' is "Swedish Chef"), https://www.accenterator.com/

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Kahara likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And here is a podcast discussion about non-human intelligences and how at least one author do to write them: Special: Adrian Tchaikovsky on Non-Human Intelligences (blasphemoustomes.com)

Kahara and mavjade like this.
  12. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    What are people's thoughts on Grammarly? I was highly encouraged to use it on a project and I downloaded the free version, but it doesn't seem to want to run on my (slightly older) computer and I'm wondering if it is worth the effort to try to make it work.

Kahara likes this.
  13. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    This website has some Star-Wars-related random generators including names, freight jobs, and solar systems. Scroll down to the sci-fi section. They're mostly used for RPGs (d20 and d6 systems) but work for fanfics as well.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.