main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

About the ban on mind rape

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FromDromundKaasWithLove, Mar 11, 2020.

1. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    You want a compendium (or list) of how and when one should not leisurely throw the term rape around as a joke/bait/or as inflammatory ammo?

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @jaimestarr TCF-1138 understood what I was suggesting might be helpful, so if you read over my responses to him, you will probably get a good idea of what I was suggesting would be helpful.

3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    While I dislike the term Mind rape, I do also think it is important to remember that words can have more than one meaning and use. While not commonly used, the word rape can be used in a sentence that has nothing to do with the criminal act. It is not wrong to say this.
    Rey and Poe's minds can be seen as a place that Kylo was plundering, or stealing information from.

The good thing is that there are so many different words that can be used there instead of rape that are not also associated with the criminal act. Reave is a good one. I propose that it should be known as Mind Reaving.

Tython Awakening and Riv_Shiel like this.
  4. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Got it. It is made clear from that response. I did not understand what you were asking for.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    @Blackhole E Snoke still when you use the word rape you think of the criminal act. Using the word outside of any context that isn’t the criminal act at least to me is just not okay.

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I've seen "mind rape" used a lot on comic book battles, in the context where someone uses strong telepathy on their opponent. E.g. "Emma Frost would mind rape Cyclops in this fight." I've never really linked that to meaning actual rape. I just think internet users use strong and over the top phrases to get their point across. I wouldn't say Kylo did that to Rey, since she deflected it straight back though.

But yes, I can definitely see why it'd offend some people, hence why I've never used it myself.

7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Rape also means an outrageous violation or to seize or to take away by force, to despoil. It does not only mean an unlawful sexual activity or forced sexual intercourse .

Mindrape and a more vulgar slang term MindF*** It just means a disturbing or extremely confusing experience, in particular one that is caused by deliberate psychological manipulation or brain washing.

8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    not the context it's being used in though...

only between Rey and Kylo. And it's been used deliberately.

You could argue Jedi 'mind rape' everybody they force trick if you really wanna go that far...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  9. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    He deliberately tried. That's all that matters to me.

10. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    A jedi mind trick, can trick an unaware person into wilfully giving information, it doesn't include invading someones memories and the taking of information.

Mindrape doesn't have the same meaning as mindf*** or brainwashing either. They are giving of information in order to confuse or change the victims way of thinking, not the actual invasion of the mind and stealing knowledge.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  11. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    po-tay-to

po-tah-to

still messing with somebody's mind whether they are stealing information or not.

I don't know what you are saying in the grand scheme of things....are you saying you want to say the word mind-rape or something? do you feel your liberties have been taken away cuz you are now no longer able to say such a term when other nouns get the point across just as well?

12. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    More like apple and orange both are fruit. I am saying that mind rape, by definition of the word rape, has a specific meaning that is not the same as those other mind manipulations. If you read my other posts on this page of the thread you will see my opinion on this subject.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  13. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I'm well aware of definitions of words as dictionaries are very easy to come by, and you took my above post on this page overly literal.

But it's good to read your thoughts on the subject :)

14. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd call it mind torture in The Force Awakens. Kylo did it to Poe and tried it on Rey to simply extract information. He's a bad guy, that's what they do. It had nothing to do with actual rape. Jedi have been known to use this technique as well, just less harshly.

Dandelo likes this.